Bee Hives And Bears

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by randyt, Sep 16, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Been thinking about getting some bees. When I was a kid we had bees and the bears bothered them some.
    any thoughts on how to protect bee hives from bears?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    An electric fence? Bears are nothing but trouble, and if they learn that you are feeding them, they keep coming back for more!

randyt, TMT Tactical and Old Geezer like this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    In past year talked to guy who has several bee hives and an unwelcomed black bruin guest who loves free honey. He has tried all manner of tricks including electric fencing.

I can't remember all he told me. What I can remember is the look of frustration on his face.

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    One of the reasons why I carry a 454 Casull on my chest wherever I may go. Unfortunately, the paperwork for in killing a bear in DLP is far worse than if it was a human.

1. Old Geezer
      But at least, man, you'll be alive to fill-out the dang paperwork.

Old Geezer, Sep 17, 2020
      Alaskajohn likes this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  6. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I can't remember if this has been mentioned in connection with bears before, so I apologize if it has. I am also going to apologize because I can't think right now of a polite and politically correct way of saying this so try not to be offended anyone :)

Upon moving here I have been given all manner of advice by the old timers around here. Mostly I think they are just trying to keep this crazy woman living alone in the woods alive :D

But back to the bears, I have been told that if one goes around and urinates on all the trees in a circle around the area you want the black bears to stay out of it will keep them away. Now I can't say to the effectiveness of this as first I am not physically built to go around peeing on trees and so have not done so. And second for reasons I have yet to discover the bears avoid coming near the buildings and open area here completely.
    I know they are out there having found plenty signs and they show up on my trail cams. And over the years I have messed up and left things outside that would make a bear an awesome snack. My closest neighbor has them come right in occasionally.

So to the question, will urinating like that keep the bears away?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    No.
    Electric fencing works though.
    Dogs help a lot too.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I always recommend using electric fencing to deter bears. Nothing else comes close to working but shooting the bear. If you use electric make sure to have some banger shells to shoot at any nosey bears. Scares them without the government paperwork. Make sure to use a good size (wattage) fence and properly built. FYI - https://bearwise.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/electric-fence-instructions-bearwise.pdf

If all else fails, I'll tell you the same thing I told shepherds and farmers. SSS

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Where I live any animals that give a farmer any sort of problem can be eliminated and all you have to do is notify the Game warden of your problem and intention to eliminate the source of your problem. It is the same as defending your property and home from thieves and is your right. Even when the gators were protected it was legal to kill a gator that became a problem. I had an Uncle that fed an orphanage with the 20 something deer he killed every year. If he didn't thin them out they would wipe our a 25-acre pea patch in one night. He would kill a few and call the game warden. After the field dressed them, they would skin them and then the Game warden would take the meat to the orphanage.

Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.