Beekeeping?

Discussion in 'Other Homesteading' started by CivilDefense, Jun 1, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Something I have kicked around is setting up bee hives on the southwestern end of our acreage. It would provide a natural sugar source for our family. I haven't gotten around to it, but I have done some reading on the topic.

Anyone involved with beekeeping? How has it worked out? Is the time and cash investment worth it?

Thanks for sharing. :)

2. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    There are some people who does apiculture near my area, but I never thought I would try that.
    If you want to try it, I think it requires lots of dedication and attention, since bees despite what it might looks like aren't easy animals to deal with. But with every thing that requires dedication, if you do it right I think the profits will be worth it.

3. CivilDefense

235/345

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the thoughts, @Xilkozuf. I don't have any plans to sell the honey, but I could see how some would. I'm mainly thinking of a source of sugars for the family in case it really goes down. A staple for the little people is peanut butter and honey sandwiches, after all.

4. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I had developed a keen interest in beekeeping over time but for lack of extension services in my jurisdiction. I would like to rear carpenter adds which are bigger in size and are otherwise referred un as stingless bees. There can even be kept in the bedroom mark you.

5. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Is this a joke?:rolleyes:

6. CivilDefense

235/345

Blog Posts:
    It has me scratching my head too. I am not entirely sure what he's getting at. Maybe he'll come back an fill us in. :confused:

7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Me, I wish I knew how the hives are doing what with bee mites annihilating hives. Over the decades I've known a grand total of one person who tried to get hives going and he was only moderately successful. One of his hives got the mite infestation. I can't remember what he did or what became of the good hives after he moved to the big city.

I'm hoping someone out there will share what's happening with today's bee colonies. There are companies who send out 18-wheeler truckloads of hives to service agricultural needs. And I know some of these folk have royally taken it in the teeth due to their bees going ill due to whatever. Again, if anyone has info, do write in!!! I'm going to see if there is any good info to find on the web, 'cause I know next to nothing about how the bees are doing.

8. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I've been very lucky with my hives as far as varroa mites but I do have an issue with wax moths at the moment.
    The current thinking on sudden colony collapse is that it in response to a perfect storm of the effects of stress of being moved, monoculture farming methods and chemicals in the environment such as neonicotinoids.
    The people with the big brains are still thinking about it as the big businesses lobby to protect their interests.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  9. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I think beekeeping is quite expensive and requires a moderate degree of knowledge. I think it would be fascinating, but it is like many other things, unless you are willing to devote the time and attention to it that it needs you are not going to get good results. I think it could be a bit hazardous as well.

10. CivilDefense

235/345

Blog Posts:
    Based upon what you have seen, what would initial costs look like? How about on-going maintenance? Thanks.

11. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I don't have any first hand knowledge, but just think of the materials you would have to purchase, I mean a suit, suitable housing for the bees, the bees themselves. You would need jars for the honey. I think it could easily be a few hundred dollars just for start up, but maybe you will get someone on here that knows more about it.

12. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    If you have basic joinery skills and access to good wide cedar boards about a half inch thick and some roofing felt you can build your own top bar hive, similar to one found in any African village.
    Catching and moving your first hive full of bees takes a little more know how and I'd reccomend a bee suit, boots and gloves for a newbie.
    Try to find a local bee keeper who is willing to teach you in return for a little heavy lifting.

13. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Keeping bees will have a lot to do with where you live, therefore I suggest that you locate your agricultural county agent for your county / for your region. Are you living in America? If the agent himself/herself doesn't know answers to your questions, then they'd better know where you can go for information and better yet, they are sure to know people who keep bees. Go the the Feed & Seed stores in your area and ask what products and books they carry. Also ask them for contacts to people who might be willing to share information with you. Anybody you talk to, tell them that what you are doing is only for your family, not that you are going commercial, will not be competing with them.

Try these links for locating your own area's agent:

http://www.pickyourown.org/countyextensionagentoffices.htm

https://www.outreach.usda.gov/USDALocalOffices.htm

https://www.google.com/#q=agricultural+county+agents+beekeeping

14. CivilDefense

235/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I live in the United States. Thanks for the links; I'll check them out. :)