Best Animal For The Apocalypse?

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Levi Seller, Jun 19, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Levi Seller

Levi Seller New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Is it true that rabbits are the best animal for the apocalypse because of how often they can breed?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    not if that is all you eat! there is a thing called "rabbit starvation" because of how little fat they possess.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    Lonewolf is correct, you can't live on rabbit meat alone, but they are prolific breeders so worth keeping/hunting/trapping for food & furs.
    Keith.

4. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I do like rabbit meat myself, but you need some fat with it, a bit of pork fat say.
    I like a game stew, some rabbit, some venison, maybe some pheasant or other game bird and maybe some wild boar if we can get it, if not then we use a lump of pork....not strictly game but the nearest equivalent.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Master Survivalist
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    Probably if you could only have one type of critter the best would be some member of the long haired goat group. They can provide you with meat, milk and wool while at the same time being hardy guards for your place. Second place would possibly be a potbelly pig. They breed fast and allow you to "recycle" any leftovers or waste. Then would be some sort of fowl. Meat, eggs and feathers are all hard to beat. The only problem with chickens is that EVERYTHING wants to eat them and their eggs and you have to guard them or a predator will wipe them out. Guinea fowl are better because they will roost in the trees but don't expect them to help you go unnoticed. On the other hand nobody will ever sneak up on your home place.

I hate to mention this because so many in the US don't react to it well but dogs breed well and are probably a lot nicer to have around than chickens. They are actually a good meat animal and commonly eaten all over the Far East.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Keith H. likes this.
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      300/345

Blog Posts:
    Before the Chestnut blight of 1917, my people would turn out hogs to the wild. The hogs would fatten-up on the forest mast, then the men would hunt them down. Everybody had smokehouses. Pepper was one of the staples the people up in the hollars went into town to buy; that and things like primers (later on in the 1800s, people got away from flintlocks), salt, ticking, copper, this and thats. They'd trade pelts, corn liquor, applejack, wild game meat, ... Pepper and salt were pounded into the pork prior to its being smoked in the smokehouse.

https://howtomakeapplepiemoonshine.com/applejack-recipe/

George Washington used to crank-out mass quantities of whiskey and applejack from his rather large distillery.

https://www.mountvernon.org/the-estate-gardens/gristmill/ten-facts-about-the-gristmill/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington's_Gristmill

Keith H. likes this.
  7. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    geese make good guard dogs.

Keith H. likes this.
  8. Keith H.

375/460

Blog Posts:
    So I have heard, but a fox took all of our geese one by one & we didn't hear a quark out of any of them!!!:(
    Keith.

9. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    used to visit one place when we lived in Somerset, guy had a load of geese in the front yard could never get past them and they were vicious.
    alpacas make good guard dogs too and they don't like foxes.

Keith H. likes this.
  10. TexDanm

375/460

Blog Posts:
    Geese and ducks need a pond with an island to sleep on and nest on. A friend made little "islands" by driving posts down out in the little pond then putting a plank on them. He nailed wooden barrels on the planks and had a regular duck condo for them that the foxes dogs and cats couldn't bother.

Ken S LaTrans and Keith H. like this.
  11. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    My grandmother always swore by having chickens and rabbits on the ranch (which my grandfather hated)...but I digress. I have heard of rabbit starvation and can see where it could be an issue long term. I don't keep rabbits in my southern AZ home because it never gets cold enough to kill the worms (or so my dad always said), but I live five miles down a dirt road from the closest paved road in my little fart of a desert town and we have more javelina out here than you can shake a stick at and they water in my stock tank like clockwork. I think of them as fatty rabbits.
    KSL Desktop Javelina Stock Tank.png

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Ystranc and Keith H. like this.
  12. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    You haven't lived until you have had a Javelina Burrito that was slow cooked in the crock pot all day.

Ystranc and Keith H. like this.
  13. Keith H.

375/460

Blog Posts:
    :) b9373eec3813a4b8dbb0b6e1ec532b56.png

14. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    First and foremost, all healthy animals carry fat, rabbit starvation isn't caused by lack of fat, it is a vitamin deficiency caused by not eating green vegetables (for vitamins, minerals and fibre that acts as a slow release carbohydrate) in conjunction with the rabbit to allow your body to digest and make use of the rabbit fat.
    Rabbit is deficient in some vitamins, eating rabbit can actually leach out more vitamins from your body then it can supply which exacerbates the problem.
    There is a danger in getting all your information from a Google search as misinformation gets recirculated and used as a reference for the next ill informed article.
    Historically if you look at instances of rabbit starvation/protein poisoning they took place during dark winter in a time when nutrition wasn't as well understood. Whatever you use as a source of protein needs to be balanced with vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates and water in order to make best use of it and maintain you're physical fitness.

I would put forward the idea that insects could possibly form a large part of the human diet post apocalypse....they're already a big thing in other cultures.

15. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    if someone is down to eating insects as their main source of food I think they've failed as a survivalist.

16. Ystranc

277/345

Blog Posts:
    Balls Lone Wolf...as usual you're projecting your own preconceptions....there are plenty of cultures where eating insects is already mainstream, could Australian Aboriginal tribes be called failures when it comes to survival in the bush? Could the Amer-Indian tribes of the Amazon basin be described as Armchair survivalists and failures?
    One of the key traits of a survivalist is adaptability.

17. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    your going to have to eat a hell of a lot of crickets to get enough protein to do all the work you'll have to do post SHTF:p(you ever noticed how skinny and short the Aboriginal and Amazon peoples are? what they eat could have a lot to do with it).
    you can keep your insects i'll be eating roast guinea pig:Dlike the Inca's.

18. Ystranc

277/345

Blog Posts:
    Contrary to what you say LoneWolf it has been shown that many insects contain very high levels of high quality protein, as a consequence you would need to eat less of them to survive then you might think. There are restaurants serving insects these days, I'm sure there are recipes that would make them very palatable so there is no need to be squeamish about it.

19. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    need one helleva stock of brown sauce for me to want to eat them!!!:p

20. Ystranc

277/345

Blog Posts:
    Fine, all the more for me...

21. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    your welcome.

22. TexDanm

375/460

Blog Posts:
    We have pigs running wild all over the place here now. If people were to stop killing them I can't imagine how many we would have in just a few years. I know people that probably kill over a hundred hogs a year on their property and still have not made a dent in the population.

The we have cattle all over around here. This is a ranching area rather than a farming area. We even have a place down the road that raises all sorts of exotic critters from mostly Africa. You never know what you will see when you go by their place. They have 500 acre fenced with 8 foot tall metal fencing.

We have lots of hispanic people around here too and that means lots of goats and chickens. If something stops the supply trucks to the stores it isn't like we won't be able to find food because none of this counts the wild game.

After a lot of people die off there are going to be huge packs of dogs that are going to have to be thinned out. Don't waste the meat. In farming areas dog packs can become serious issues if they are not kept under control. they will kill your livestock and also can become carriers of rabies. A bite from a rabid dog if you can't go to a modern fully supplied hospital is the same as a bullet in the head.

There is a reason why a lot of predator species are almost extinct in areas where they used to be common. They can't compete with the ultimate predator and people don't share worth spit. They are making a comeback in a lot of areas now because there aren't so many people raising their own food like it was in the middle of the last century. When you start raising small livestock you are going to become very aware of the foxes, racoons, coyotes, wolves, snakes, cats and dogs that want to eat your little critters. They are just part of the experience.

23. Ystranc

277/345

Blog Posts:
    We have an issue with wild boar over here, there was an accidental release of about 40 of them, since they can mate from around 11 months old and the females can farrow average litters of around six predominantly female piglets up to three times a year for twenty years.
    They have no natural predators here so their population now exceeds 1500 and is growing geometrically. Farmers and landowners need to get on top of this situation fast before wild boar are beyond control.

24. TexDanm

375/460

Blog Posts:
    To make matters even worse here, some idiots turned some Russian boars lose to make them into better hunting. Those Russian Boars are MEAN, SMART and HUGE!! When you see one you know right off this isn't just an escaped domestic hog. They are built differently and can have tusks that are over 6" long. In India the Russian Boar was considered above the Tiger as far as being dangerous to hunt. They are hard to kill and have a real taste for fresh meat that you don't normally have with escaped domestic hogs.

25. Ystranc

277/345

Blog Posts:
    The Russian wild boar are close kin to the European wild boar that where released in the UK...the males can often reach 300kilos.