Best Movie On Surviving A Disaster

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by joegirl, Jul 1, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    What is your favourite survival movie?

Mine is definitely 127 hours. Real life account of how Aron Ralston survived a boulder crushing his arm and trapping him for 5 days between canyon walls. He was so determined to live and survive that he cut out the crushed arm (his right forearm) with a dull pocketknife. Just remembering that scene gives me shivers!

Great, great movie..always..

So, what is your survival movie? Why do you like this movie?

Sourdough likes this.
  2. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Is it petty that I didn't watch that movie because the ending was spoiled? I figure it would have been more intriguing if the ending wasn't so known to the watchers, and that it was a suspense thriller about a man alone with an injury and pondering the decisions ahead of him. For me I saw the Last Train to Busan, which was about a group of people stranded in a train cart when a disaster happens. They must now try and reach the next city in order to get protection and assistance from the threat. I thought it was pretty thrilling, and the fact that it was a pretty scary movie helped out the scenery.

The Innkeeper and Sourdough like this.
  3. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I had seen Everest which is a fairly good survival movie but I think San Andreas has more challenges. San Andreas is about a destructive earthquake that hit the edges of California. The movie showed the expected reaction of people - they were in panic and to each his own was the order of the day. Not content with the ruined structures, the earthquake caused a tidal wave that swept the inland, adding more destruction to the place. Watching that movie made me think that being in that kind of situation would be so hard to survive because instead of helping each other to find a way to survive, people were in panic and there's no way they would unite.

4. Denis_P

Denis_P Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    The movie 2012 was a pretty great documentary on surviving the Mayan apocalypse, and no I'm not even kidding.

Okay, yes I am.

I think, for the time being, the best film I've seen regarding a person's will to survive against the elements was The Revenant. I won't talk about it too much given that it would be a shame for it to be spoiled to any degree, but all I can say is that everything about the whole experience is extremely intense and well done. The acting, direction, and cinematography are all Oscar worthy. Hats off to Leonardo DiCaprio once again.

5. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I can't pick just one as my favorite (because I love many movies), but I can say that some really bad ones end up coming almost always at the hands of Roland Emmerich. I even think he's a good director, but I don't think he's very lucky with the movies he chooses to direct. :(

6. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    There are really good survival movies out there. One of my favorite is the "5th Wave". It is about alien invasion or some sort.
    I find it very interesting since movies like that can somehow be true. We never know.

The Innkeeper, Sourdough and Keith H. like this.
  7. sakakimakio

sakakimakio New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I agree with those who name "San Andreas", and "2012" as their choice. For me, where the potential of tsunami, and frequently of flood occurred, it sure helps me a lot to be prepared physically and mentally. From the movies, I do think the government lacking in specialty to identify the scale of disaster, and alarming the people as our only option only radio and television as early as possible. In San Andres, I was in awe when there were scene involving Dwayne and his wife cruise through to the wave of tsunami as one of survival tips when tsunami hits. I thought it was a hoax and do some research, and yes it is one of the survival method. I end up watching it 5 times. sigh. :p

8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well Aliens are real, & they know we are here, so fingers crossed they remain friendly, because technology wise they are obviously way ahead of us.
    Keith.

9. Taq Noob

Taq Noob New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    Touching the void. Was a very good mountaineering documentry. Also liked 127 hours. Deep impact is also kinda cool. Im not a huge fan of movies unless its based on a true story like 127 hours or true events or its a documentry.

2 other movies also worth watching is The Survivalist and also the new one Jungle

10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    for entertainment purposes, The Postman and Rambo First Blood.

11. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Both were interesting movies. I liked The Revenant for cinematography and story line.

Panic in Year Zero is an interesting movie from 1962 about post nuclear survival.

The Grapes of Wrath was a good movie an a much better book about survival during the Great Depression.

12. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    "The Survivalist" available on U-Tube full movie for free. Not for children.

It is educational, but it is NOT exciting and thrilling. But very useful for viewing how shitty post SHTF is likely to be. It is, almost more like a documentary.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  13. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Added to my “to do” list!

14. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have noticed that this, especially movies have a habit of disappearing from U-Tube. Might want to have it on you do fairly soon list. But then who knows.

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    There are a lot of movies that have survival elements to them that are quite entertaining. that said they have little real life reality in them because reality is BORING.

Mostly surviving any disaster can be broken down into 95% boring drudgery, 3% terror and 2% pleasant excitement. It is like hunting. you spend hours and hours searching for your prey then a minute or two killing or catching it them it is back to the drudgery or cleaning it and processing it followed eventually by the pleasant satisfaction of eating it.

People think it's going to be exciting an possibly an adventure but that just isn't the way life really seems to work. Even when it is you run head on into that old curse "May you live an interesting life in interesting times." Terror and tragedy, violence and suffering make good movies but living it isn't much fun. I loved Rambo's endless ammo and the fact that only he could hit the wide side of a barn.

I like to garden but it is like the rest of real life. Lots of anticipation and hard work for momentary greatly delayed gratification. You know the old statement about a watched pot never boils? well that makes watching a garden grow a rapid thing.

The things that make survival more than living another day while waiting to die are nearly always left out of most movies. Simple pleasures, friendships, companionship sitting around a camp fire talking with friends and even the small arts and crafts that people like to do as a group activity are the real survival. Everything else is what you have to do to get to the good stuff and get to relax and enjoy it.

16. Lukey

Lukey Expert Member
      123/115

Blog Posts:
    It’s not really a survivalist/prepper movie, but the postman with Kevin Costner is a really good one. Good book too if u like to read

17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    movies are entertaining but I wouldn't base my personal survival on any of them, at best they are what passes for intelligence in a Hollywood movie directors fevered mind.

18. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon all,

My favorite movie per this thread is : Casablanca (1942).

Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman) to Rick (Humphrey Bogart): "You'll have to think for both of us, for all of us."

Prep and survival matters are predominantly about thinking. What significance does a reverse osmosis seawater purification system have in the overall scheme of prep and survival. It's about thinking.

Full disclosure: In junior high school had once dated Ingrid Bergman ....... well, at least I have a sheet of the USPS postage stamps with her picture.

Time for a gin.........

19. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I watched that one ages ago, perhaps worth watching again. Thanks Lukey.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    The Flintstones because that's what shit is going to be like. :D

ozboy, The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't go that far. not stone age maybe 18th or 17th century type lifestyle.

22. Miskondukt

Miskondukt Active Member
      40/58

Blog Posts:
    In the context of what we're all here for, I have yet to see a movie that fits the bill except for the stupendously depressing "The Road" and perhaps what others have recommended but I have yet to watch "Survivalist". I do, however, read/listen to a lot of survival books/series. Just as of late I've burned through both Commune and the Home series.

23. howler

howler Expert Member
      176/230

Blog Posts:
    there is a good movie called Here Alone ,its a zombie one but a great survivalist type movie

24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I like the MAD MAX series but i'm not basing my survival plan on them.
    have a look on youtube at "Tales from the Green Valley" that's more like I believe out lifestyle post SHTF will be like. its a recreation with so called "experts" coming in to give advise.
    but I believe our post collapse life will be similar to that.

25. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Those episodes of Tales from the Green Valley are fascinating. Thank you for sharing.

26. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Meh, the book is much better.

27. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I see "The Road" as a cautionary tale of what not to do. I found the "Book of Eli" interesting but still not something to learn from. I really can't think of any hollyweird garbage I actually learned from. The same cannot be said for many books on the sublect from "Alas Babylon" to "Lucifer's Hammer" to "One Second After"; I got useful information from all of them. I just wish I had read some of them decades ago.

28. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I guess my favorite is between "Tears of the Sun" or "A Man called Horse". with my second being "Book of Eli" followed by "Jeremiah Johnson". The original "Andromeda Strain" was pretty awesome also.

Dale

29. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    The movie the Revenent was so far removed from the book as to be almost unrecognizable, but it was entertaining watching

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  30. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    Tales From The Green Valley and the others by the same folks were informative and entertaining. The usual flaws with reality tv but I quite enjoyed them and learned a few things

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  31. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    London Has Fallen is a decent shoot'em'up flick. The ending is just video game promo. The beginning is interesting in that the producers show the consequences of electrical feed shut-downs and communications disruptions. Wasn't in this movie, but when whatever hits the fan, satellites providing Earth navigation will be the first casualties. Satellites and electrical grids are targets of the first order. How long your batteries last will determine when you start burning the candles and kerosene.

The movie had too few civilians.

Spoiler alert! The bad guys were incorporated into the police. The terrorists were Arabic/Muslim -- which got the movie slammed as xenophobic. Truth is that British police HAVE many non-Brits as cops. These folk could continue their loyalty post apocalypse, yet then again ... This movie had a bunch of the bad guys being British police -- not just posing as police. So reading the reviews coming from British communist newspapers (most of these propaganda rags are anti-God, leftist, globalist machines) the movie was panned royally.

Watching the beginning of the movie was reminiscent of the 2011 riots. Again, the ending is puerile and outrageously unrealistic. Me, I liked the knifings at movie's end, must say. Stabbings into the groin, anal, and neck areas are the most effective. If I'm shooting someone with a vest, the round is going into the lower abdomen, genital, anal regions of the enemy's body -- major nerves and blood vessels down there.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  32. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I will make a point of watching London Has Fallen. Love movies that make liberals whine, cry and stain their tidy whites.

Morgan101, Dalewick and Sonofliberty like this.
  33. LS55

LS55 Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    I liked “Contagion”. Not a lot of survivalist info, but I did learn about viruses from it.

TMT Tactical likes this.