Black Bear Attack.....

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by watcherchris, Jun 17, 2023.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Found this on the news today and immediately thought of my ham radio friend of many many years living out in the woods of Tennessee...

I sent tis link to him with a warning for him and his woman.

He carries a Tarus Judge with him daily loaded with .45 Long Colt and .410 shotgun combintions...but you never know about four legged wildlife ..particularly if you walk up on them unawares..

Nonetheless..here is the link to that story and I sent it to my friend on e mail.

Sheriff: Black Bear Attacks, Kills Man Enjoying Coffee in Arizona Woods (breitbart.com)

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    My ham radio friend is so far back in the woods....no one would know about it or get there for a long long time.

It is very beautiful back there at his home....and I admire him and his wife for their lifestyle...but they are back in there.

I doubt that my daily carry .357 Magnum would be sufficient for most black bears...and particularly an angry Mama Bear with cubs.

I'd have to carry my .41 Mag....out there...in pistol or rifle.

Nonetheless..I worry about him and his bride out there....but admire them for where and how they choose to live.

But it is beautiful back in there.....just beautiful...

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Been back in those self-same woods hundreds of times; hunting, hiking. Only seen bears crossing roads in Southern Appalachia.

Friend hit a black bear with a GM Saturn. Broke all of the plastic front of that cheap car. Knocked the bear out cold. Friend made call to the authorities. Bear came to its senses and ran back up in the woods.

A friend was up in the woods before dawn readying for a deer hunt. Sitting there, he heard a crashing in the woods and then all of a sudden a bear ran over the top of him heading down the side of the mountain. He never figured what all of that was about, but it scared the sh## out of him. He was a red-headed Scots-Irish with a bunch of German thrown in. He is very stocky, very strong. Being somewhat as tough as a bear, he was not injured. (I had a cousin who had a tractor flip over onto him -- didn't kill him; it's difficult to kill or injure some men. My dad was thick-chested like that.)

See a bear? Lift your backpack up over your head to look tall. This "old wives' tale" solution is actually true. Sow bears with cubs are dangerous if you're too close to her cubs. Boar bear get nasty when they are in the season looking for female bears. They are in the mood to fight another male bear. Most of the time however, black bears are lazy and want no trouble, don't like the smell of humans ... unless they have food on them. I know I avoided them for decades and decades.

If worst came to worst, then you'd want a handgun that could deliver a heavy bullet and you'd want that handgun to have a barrel long enough to get that bullet up to speed. I'd much prefer a .41 mag. or a .44 mag over a .357; this, even if the .357 was loaded hot along with a 180 gr bullet.

You'll want a big caliber and a flat-nosed HEAVY bullet.

If you are loading your own ammo, then you have all manner of choices.

Factory ammo, one could go with Underwood Ammo or Buffalo Bore ammo to royally get the job done ... if you yourself are willing to stand and deliver.

---------------------

Underwood:

https://underwoodammo.com/shop-ammo...ngton+Magnum&Cartridge[]=.44+Remington+Magnum

https://underwoodammo.com/shop-ammo/handgun-ammo/?_bc_fsnf=1&Cartridge=.44+Remington+Magnum++P+

"44 Remington Magnum 305gr. Long Flat Nose Gas Check Black Cherry Coated Hard Cast Hunting Ammo"

-------------

Buffalo Bore:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=146

upload_2023-6-18_2-24-45.png

---------------------------------------

There are also the dangerous game, brown bear / grizzly bear loads for handguns:

upload_2023-6-18_2-27-27.png

Ok, I've forgotten to include .45 Colt heavy ammo. I'll do that in the next post below.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    .45 Long Colt is an olde...calibration...however....

Until I studied it in the reloading manuals...I did not realize it had such an heavy bullet in it's standard load...very impressive.

And yes...it can be loaded close to magnum velocities....but one must be very very careful about the construction of the firearm in which one uses such and load..

300 grains is a heavy heavy bullet in .45 Long Colt....but close up it has to be a lot of energy delivered...

I too do not want to kill game for which I do not plan to eat or put in the freezer....

but ....

Both two and four legged wildlife can be very territorial...and as you stated...particularly with young'uns.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    not something we have to worry about in Britain, most dangerous animals here are Wild Boar or Mink, neither of which most people have ever seen even people who work in the woods.

TMT Tactical and Brownbear like this.
  7. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    The most dangerous creatures in the UK are featherless two legged ones who came there uninvited. Seems they have taken-over the cities there first.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    those people are still in the minority here.

9. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes, but our minorities only inhabit the cities.
    most crime is in the cities, only yesterday afternoon another teenager was stabbed to death in London.
    the most violent places in the UK are all cities, logical I suppose when 80% of the population now lives in cities. good reason not to.

1. Old Geezer
      You all are beyond lucky in this respect. I can be friends with a minority of this minority. Their working class, their Church-goers can have the best hearts imaginable. Problem is that many are verbally aggressive and physically so also. Another crew we have to deal with are in-bred whites. I'm Southern (Appalachia region) and will come right out and say that many bigotries about my region are true. At University, my Genetic Counseling professor had a colleague move to the region to study genetic anomalies due to the higher percentage thereof. Mean rednecks can be the worst critter around, vicious mean. They have just a bit too much intelligence coupled with ZERO ability to control their emotions. Were they a bit more stupid, they couldn't cause as much harm.
      [​IMG]

Old Geezer, Jun 20, 2023
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I live in a place where there is a low population, more of a village feel, everyone knows everyone else and strangers stand out a mile, in fact you can tell they are strangers by the things they do.
    there is nothing here for ethnics or minorities, no money, no work, no free housing, many people here commute further afield if they want a full time job, I often say this place is like a ghost town most of the time.
    another stabbing in London, 2 people stabbed outside a hospital in West London, suspect also injured possibly self inflicted, now under arrest.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I should post this article under the category of "Stupid Humans" or "Stupid Laws". It's concerning a Florida law giving permission to people to shoot mean bears. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: They ain't no mean bears (too few to mention). Idiots will abuse the law to kill innocent / non-dangerous bears. Besides we're talking black bears, NOT grizzlies, NOT brown bears. None of those exist anywhere near Florida -- they're thousands of miles away.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/f...for-residents-to-kill-crack-bears/ar-BB1iNkxB

This Florida law gets under my skin. :mad: Bears don't get mean unless you mess with a mama bear's cubs or irritate a male bear during mating season. Those are the only times you'll find them on-edge and ready to fight. Most times they're just big lazy critters searching for something to eat. Leave food outside and they come around. OK, that's on you!

Once had a neighbor with an apple orchard out back of his house. A bear preserve existed in a mountain range (higher altitude) just one small ridge-line separating that from us. Need I say more? ;) Yep, one pesky / hungry bear kept breaking limbs out of those apple trees trying to get apples to eat. Sorry, you just can't blame the bear for that.

I also knew a fellow who had bee hives and a bear kept breaking them down, busting them. He tried all manner of solutions, but I forget what he ended up doing to keep it away. I know that a cattle electric fence didn't work. A regular robust fence didn't work. Something did, but I forget what that was. He didn't shoot the bear. That would have been crude and cruel and a sin. Again, a bear's gonna do what its nose and belly tell it to do. A bear's strength can't be imagined by a human.

As a boy, I heard all manner of stories concerning bear (my folk and ancestors had been mountain people). I have no idea how many hundred stories I've heard from my kin (front porches, rocking chairs, people over age 90, their minds & memories clear as a bell). Me, I can't remember any stories about mean bears -- pesky bears, well sure. Mean bears, no.

" Florida 'Cocaine Bear' Bill Passed By State Senate… Allows For Residents To Kill 'Crack Bears' ”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/f...for-residents-to-kill-crack-bears/ar-BB1iNkxB

Begin quote

Did you ever think you would hear the words "cocaine" and "bear" together so much? Whether it be the comedy movie that came out last year, or this new bill in Florida that's been nicknamed the "Cocaine Bear" bill on social media, bears on crack are really having a moment. And if you wanted clarification on why SB-632 is affectionally referred to as the "Cocaine Bear Bill," the simple explanation is that one of the bill's sponsors stated that Florida residents should have the right to shoot and kill bears, specifically "the ones that are on crack." ... Those opposed to the bill, which would legally allow for Floridians to shoot a bear if they are an "imminent threat," are mainly worried that the bill would be abused. Many believe that Florida residents would just start shooting bears willy nilly (that's the professional law term, I promise), and be able to fall back on this legislature. Because the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission is no longer obligated to investigate bear deaths, that could be a very real problem. Not as big of a problem as vicious, rabid, drugged up bears though, according to Florida lawmakers...

End quote

Old Gzr: The movie "Cocaine Bear" is NOT a comedy. We saw it and the movie is one sick piece of cinematic trash. There's all manner of blood and gore in it. The bear gets into some cocaine then goes on a rampage as if it has rabies. Not funny. Don't rent it. Don't go see it.

------------------------------

TMT Tactical likes this.