Black Powder Under-locking Lever Double 12 Gauge.

Discussion in 'Guns' started by Keith H., Jan 11, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My youngest son bought me two boxes of brass shells for my 12 gauge double Black Powder under-locking lever shotgun. Now I have some hand loading to do! Bring on the Zombies!
    Keith.
    c5FZ76550wYudKkLPK291EmUMNfIiCXx.jpeg c5FZ76550wYudKkLPK291EmUMNfIiCXx.jpeg c5FZ76550wYudKkLPK291EmUMNfIiCXx.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    randyt likes this.
  2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    That will do some damage

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Just in the process of editing videos on loading the brass cartridges with round ball.
    Keith.

4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I just picked up a nsew reloader for my 3 1/2 in 12 g now i can reload any 12g shell

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    That was going to be my question about this black power shotgun, round balls or slugs. In the past, it was round balls. Was told about them when I was a little kid; never saw any. Looking forward to watching your video.

The barrels of your black powder shotgun, are they Damascus twist?

I've read that you make your own black powder, so I'll not ask about the use of Pyrodex. There's a road near where I'm from called "Powder Branch Road". Back in the 1700s some lady lived up in that hollar that made black powder using bat guano she gathered out the many caves in that region -- limestone rock formations have many caves, water erosion over the millennia and all. Our 30th high school reunion was up in that hollar (skipped the 40th); didn't see any historical markers.

I just this minute looked this topic on the web. I FOUND AND ARTICLE ABOUT HER!!! I never knew this stuff! Wow, I'm blown away! I heard it by word of mouth. Holy crap am I ever happy!!!!!!!!!! yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee hawwwwwwwwwwwww

https://washingtoncountyregiment.wo...your-powder-dry-michael-hydersr-powder-maker/

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    No mate they do not appear to be. Thanks for the link.
    Keith.

7. Sack

Sack New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    What size round ball are you using? I’ve used .69 in the past but accuracy was poor. I tried a .71 mold but the balls came out to big for some reason and would get stuck in the bore when I rolled them down the barrel. So I just have been loading 0 and #1 buckshot over 85 grains of ffg powder in plastic hulls. I would like to get a good roundball to work

Keith H. likes this.
  8. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good day Sack. I am using .60 caliber round ball because that is what I use for my flintlock, & the 12 gauge barrel has a tight choke. I tried Brown Bess balls & they will not fit through the chokes. If you want more accuracy with an undersized ball, use patching, but make sue the round fits in the muzzle.
    PS. I have renewed the images at the beginning of this thread & added PART ONE of the loading videos.
    Keith.

9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Once had a double 20 w/ external hammers. Cutest little shotgun that!

Keith H. likes this.
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You might look into 12 gauge slugs. They make one that looks like a 1 oz giant pellet for a pellet rifle that might work well. The skirt makes a good seal but also passes through a choke without a problem. They also make the more traditional hollow base round nose and the spiral cut "rifled" slug that is most common in the US in standard slug loads.

You might also think about a Buck and ball load with 1 60 caliber ball and 6 #1 buckshot rounds. This is supposed to be a massively effective defense load. The B&B loads were common in the old time muskets. Most of the loads I found online had a .65 caliber ball with 6 #1 Buck shot so your .60 ball should work just as good. I would guess that this sort of load would spread fast and be great for in close use.

Keith H. likes this.
  11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I had the same in a 410 many years ago, wish I still had it!!!
    Keith.

12. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Agreed Tex, I have used these loads in my flintlock.
    Keith.

13. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    that's a awesome shotgun. I have one similar made by husqvarna

a58df1a409416d4281aede4d5c56af4a.jpeg

Caribou, Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  14. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    here's a photo of my forster type slug mold, not a fast procedure but does work.
    the aluminum cylinder is put on the brass disc with the knob then the other plate is on top of the aluminum cylinder. The lead is poured through a hole in the top plate.
    a58df1a409416d4281aede4d5c56af4a.jpeg

Caribou, Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I use a .60 caliber ball because that is what I use in my 20 gauge. As I always get in close, I don't have to worry about the accuracy at longer ranges.
    f0789cdd2f0c7edfbfa0d2d89f8dc3cf.jpeg
    60 grains of 2FG & a .60 caliber ball brought this boar down.
    Keith.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  16. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Nice looking gun, your moulds are certainly very interesting!
    Buckshot & .60 caliber ball mould with lead ladle.
    Keith.

Caribou, TMT Tactical and randyt like this.