Boat Building

Discussion in 'Other DIY' started by randyt, Sep 15, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Are there any boat builders here? I've built a few over the years, definitely not fancy. A few 5 board pirogues, some small flat bottom row boats. Usually made them from rough lumber. Used them mostly for trapping a marsh or some such. I would carry them in and leave them there. I didn't caulk them, just let them get wet and swell up. After the season pull them out and turn the upside down and hide them in the brush.

On my want to do list is a canvas canoe. Built very similar to a birch bark canoe can be built the same really.
    the other is the boat shown on Happy People. Not the dugout but the long lapstreak. One of these days

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I built a dugout canoe with an outrigger once as a scouting project. Nothing fancy. I did learn how to use fire to shape the inside. That was only 40ish years ago lol

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  3. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Had a buddy that used to build fiberglass kayaks. Learned a lot from him but never had the time of space to build my own.

Dale

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A close friend of mine used to make boats, sadly he passed away some years ago. We used to journey on the Great Lakes in winter in one of his boats. At one stage we had to sink the boat overnight weighing it down with rocks to swell the timbers. It was a slightly smaller version of the one in this photo:
    1c1d3345f656b4ef5b14660b5e2a3f54.jpeg
    Keith.

Dalewick, randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:

that's awesome, what part of the great lakes? did you make it to Mackinaw Island? Beaver Island? There are others but I worked on those islands.

Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Sorry mate, I should have said, we have the Great Lakes here in Australia too. Down on the NSW coast.
    feb7d6ae9aa9c7633f6854b97d830c16.jpeg
    Keith.

TMT Tactical, Dalewick and randyt like this.
  7. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Randy,

Not a builder within the definition - but a modifier.

As part of my prep, I have what I call a "drag boat". Some would use name of "duck boat" or "garden wagon".

I have a polyethylene boat modified and outfitted to my requirements. No Plimsoll line on hull but a canopy to keep cargo protected.

The "boat" can be safely towed 1 NM on an inland waterway. It could mount a gasoline or electric power plant but my prep philosophy only allows for a large pole ... think of the Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery ... or paddle if no cargo to be hauled.

Somewhere here I've got detachable wheels - no double duel tandem apparatus but just something that can spin-bolt on - forgot nautical term - the back of the boat to wheel to water.

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.