Brief History Of Military Cargo Pants

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Sep 15, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
  2. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    The first actual BDU's (Battle Dress Utilities) were hot as sin in warm climates. There referred to as NYCO twill today. I was one of the first recruits to be issued the new BDU's in 1983. I hated them as they were so hot in the tropics. WE wore jungle fatigues when we could until the hot weather version of the BDU's were finally available. The original woodland camo pattern that the BDU's came in wasn't bad in the jungle or summer time North American woods but everywhere else on the planet, they stuck out like a skunk in a church. Imagine woodland pattern camo in the desert or out in a grassland. LOL!

Dale

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    they shrink, I can no longer fit in mine LOL

TMT Tactical, Sourdough and Dalewick like this.
  4. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I’m not sure why I saved mine as I never wear them. After 14 years, mine are only slightly shrunken. I think most of mine are the tropic weight version that I always preferred. I always thought they were pretty functional.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    It could draw attention, but guys would be well served to continually wear tool belts. A lotta guys attach a Leatherman tool to their belt. My key rings are too big. My dad had these monster huge key rings; these were for his machines.

I find my pants pockets always full. I love having extra pockets for all the crap I carry. For whatever reason, I wear-out my cargo pants far faster than my "casual" pants for work. Part of it of course is them getting beat-up in the yard or shop, but something else is going on that I can't figure out. Probably it's that as soon as I get home, I switch to the pocket pants. My wife doesn't like washing/ironing the pocket pants, so I do expose those guys to the iron myself (I'm a bit OCD).

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Old Geezer,

Definitely agree re the tool belt. I use a modified version of this. A cotton web belt for the pants.... As per season, events of day and other specific circumstances, I also wear a rigger's belt with pouches of the stuff for the aforesaid specifics.

The rigger's belt is kept in place directly on top of the web belt by "keepers" similiar to the Army's old Alice clips. Similar to Alice clips, police supply stores sell clips to hold one big belt on top of another.

For some current meetings - inherently involving holier than thou personalities, I have a no-flap pounch with a pump bottle of hand disinfectant and >50% high octane alcohol that all can smell. I'm nearly as holy as these holy people.

Pants pockets loaded with everything except the coin of the realm. Haven't had any real money since Hillary became First Lady.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I've been wearing cargo pants since I was 10! I turn 40 in October! LOL! Yes, I was 10 in 1990. Feel old yet? I sure do. I always liked utility, and my pants fit that bill well. My phone is in one pocket, wallet in the next, Swiss Army Champ knife in another along with can of Saber Red mace and a tactical pen. You can buy them on eBay. Here's an example of a tactical pen. https://www.gearhungry.com/best-tactical-pen/ in a fight, thrust in eyes, solar plexus, neck, etc.

Also, L.L Bean and Cabelas is old fashioned? Hmmm... I don't think so. They make them for woman as well.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/119992?page=mens-beans-allagash-cargo-pant-natural-fit-mens

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/men...&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. F22 Simpilot

407/460

Blog Posts:
    Here's my Swiss Army Champ. I bought the sapphire color to be unique. Bought it brand spanking new in box on eBay for $80.

Attached Files:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Whats not to like about cargo pants, comfortable, practical, cheap to buy, they are my everyday trousers. I just use an elasticated braided belt for everyday wear but out on the hills I wear braces because my pocket are more loaded, phone, energy snacks, sandwiches etc.

10. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Max,

Good idea re braces.

First, for the non-familiar: British English "braces" = suspenders.

For notice events, ie those with some lead time for routine planning before leaving shack for field, I'll wear some braces/suspenders. They're of the firefighters' trades variety ... thicker and sturdier than what the fancy folks getting ready for the school prom would wear.

New Forum Members must not confuse these clothing braces/suspenders with the "load-bear suspenders" of MILSPEC design and material to carry equipment.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I like cargo pants, and have been wearing them for at least 20 years. For me they have replaced blue jeans. I agree with all the aforementioned kudos. I think my brand of choice would be 511. I have found their gear to be very durable, albeit a little pricey.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have 3 pairs of camo trousers with the leg pockets, I bought them off an Army Cadet several years ago, I only wear jeans in the winter.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Here, I wear any of these pants these days.

US Woodland isn't that good in jungle environment (too brownish). Pattern such as Woodland DPM perform better during daylight

Woodland DPM

8bbc4863d858dccebfaf2578de070f98.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I wear mine because they are cooler in the summer and the pockets are handy for car keys and phone and stuff.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Do Tennier Industries still make clothing for the military? Whats the quality like these days, still good?

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    their online, you can check for yourself. I just looked.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    USA Woodland pattern is color stratified about equally to DPM Woodland and even after many years it is still the pattern of choice for US forces operating in jungle/tropical environments.
    https://sofrep.com/news/jotc/#:~:te...located in Hawaii. The course is 2-weeks long.

I also have a number of fatigues from 5.11, Propper and a few others. They make great work pants. Right now though, it's the last of summer and I'm still wearing shorts Altima OTB shoes. 54 degrees F. last night and supposed to get down in the 30's next week. Summer's almost gone. Garden's done and it's time to hunt.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I know they make clothing, I did not know if they still supplied the US military or if the military have moved on like the brits and buy a fair bit of shite from the far east and if you bother to read my question I was really interested in the quality hopefully from a user.

19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    sorry, I assumed (wrongly) that you could get your information from their website.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. F22 Simpilot

407/460

Blog Posts:
    The UK speak on trousers instead of pants reminds me of this song. This video was from a great TV show called Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

TMT Tactical likes this.