Camping Trip

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Dalewick, Aug 19, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    At least you didn't make fun of my grade D- spelling.

Do forgive all my spelling mistakes and word omissions. I've always been dyslexic and our youngest son is so dyslexic that we had to pay tutors to bring his reading and writing skills up to near-par. We talked him into going to tech school Computer Drafting. He excelled at this, for he, like his dad, can only think in visual images. I, we, have to translate what is in our heads into language to speak and often we are unable to keep up with language. My ears are a bit shot out, the left being the worst. I pick up like 2/3 rds of the words my left ear hears, which means that I lose every third word. The left ear's cochlea distorts words, so I also hear / interpret words incorrectly. Add that to dyslexia.

Calculus, straight A's; reading/writing barely a grade B. Were our alphabet phonetic, as is the Cyrillic alphabet, my son and I would have no problems ... OK, so a whole lot less.

People make fun of my spelling or that I'm unable to make-out what they are saying. Well, such people are of inferior mind and morals, thus they do not really count as people. I've worked with people who have Profound hearing loss and let me tell you, these people go through hell when interacting with the "regular" world. Don't ever disparage the deaf for hanging around other deaf folk, for this is the only time they can relax.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Bushcraft Bear camping / cooking. This guy is currently on La Palma reporting on the volcano/landslides there/ lava hitting the ocean. Has some great camping ideas. Usually writes English. Lately, he is speaking in English and I think he is quite good at it. Most of the Germans I've worked with really could butcher English, but it's not their fault -- English is a sloppily sewn-together language; a real crazy quilt.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bushcraft+bear+cooking+forest

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When I am solo camping out in the national forrest I always have a handgun on my right hip and a knife on my left hip. I have gone for a week several times and not seen a single person for the entire week. It is peaceful and quiet.

most people don't do well with that sort of solitude but I was sort of an only child and spent a lot of time alone when I was a kid. After a couple of days the critters get used to you and start to come out and talk at you. The squirrels are especially big about that.

I am happy reading, writing and just enjoying the quiet. About the only thing that I like that makes noise is AM talk radio at night while I sit and enjoy the fire. I used to do this all the time in the woods behind my house but someone bought it and fenced it. Now I go to the national forrest where I used to live. I spend a lot of time fishing on the river now. I can run about 15 miles up the river and lose the skiers and it is very quiet and nice.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  4. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Went away for a little while and this thread got a lot of activity. Surprised me, but awesome.

Dale

PS- Actually sold that tent a couple months back.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Bushcraft Bear needs to work on his English Breakfast LOL you'd get that thrown at you if you served it at camp.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes, this has been my experience too, I am not a SORT OF only child I AM an only child for real and most of my time has been spent alone, most people cant do that but its my natural element.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    seems to be mostly beans with a few measly strips of bacon, better stay away from anyone who eats that amount of beans for breakfast! as we used to say in the British boy scouts "Beans means Latrines!!".

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I've always taken a radio camping but to be honest its rarely used but...I got into the habit of listening to the BBC shipping forecast, its like a ritual for me, listen to that and then off to sleep.

For the American members skip to 3:02 to listen