Can You Eat Crow?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by branchd77, Oct 8, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. branchd77

branchd77 Administrator Staff Member Gold Supporter
      257/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm sure crow probably tastes terrible but does anyone have any experience eating it? Is it safe?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes you can and no I haven't.

3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I imaging that a crow would taste about the same as most birds that are neither predatory or scavengers. Vultures you can't eat and I've read that most predatory birds are not worth eating. I wonder exactly what birds the "4 and 20 blackbirds baked into a pie" referred to?

4. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    Ive had crow. Fry it on low temp in a skillet with butter, onion, bacon. Add cider, full cream and salt+pepper. Not bad at all.
    They use their muscles and therefor has more bloodflow through the tissues than chicken, so more iron in the flavour than say chicken.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Crys B. likes this.
  5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    "Eating Crow" has I believe other meanings?:p

6. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
  7. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Crow is very good stand on there wings pull there legs and the legs with the breast will come out cut the breast off put a slice of jalapeno pepper with a piece of wrapped bacon on the grill and eat after the bacon was done

8. Billy02

Billy02 Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    I have never tried but as the other say, its eatable, so you can try.

9. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    As with anything that eats carrion it needs to be well cooked but there is nothing toxic or poisonous about the meat from crows. In a tight spot I would cheerfully eat any of the corvids but pigeon is much easier for me to find and shoot.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we do have crows in this area but wood pigeons are more abundant, they come into the garden here as we feed all the birds.

11. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    I’ve heard of people eating crow in the area, the ones further from town I hear, as the ones near town eat a variety of different foods. Me personally I stick with the grouse as they are easier to hunt in the area.

12. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Kill a pigeon then stick in down into a big pot of boiling water. Watch the feather lice float the surface.

Birds get vermin.

Crys B. likes this.
  13. Crys B.

Crys B. Active Member
      43/58

Blog Posts:
    These are all good to know. There are tons of crows in my state, so if things ever went where there is no law, then.... free game.

14. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Crow hunting is tough. Those are some smart birds. They can actually count and once they realize that you are hunting them they will laugh at you any time you don't have a gun and then disappear when you have one. We finally started busting them at long range with a 22-250 and a 25-06. Neither left a lot to eat but it at least got rid of them and saved the garden. We had a stand and after we killed a couple they got wise to our presence. If they saw you go in they wouldn't come in. If two of you went in and then one left they still knew there was on in it. Three go in and two come out and leave and they would flock in. Evidently they can't count to three.