Can you survive a year in the South American jungles?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by OursIsTheFury, Jun 8, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I'm curious at what you guys would say. What if there's like a Survivor type game show where you would be awarded a million dollars if you survive an entire year in the forests, with no access to technology, outside support, or even basic needs, other than your own body. No knife, no matches, no flares, whatever. Would you be confident that you can survive an entire year living off of nature with absolutely zero man made equipment to help you?

2. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    That's a really good question. I would not want to do it for the money even if it sounds quite intriguing. The other thing is that the people on that type of show would not be themselves. They would only react a certain way because of the camera and they might also freak out faster because the camera is there. There are certainly people who would be confident enough to do it and endure a year living on survival mode but they have to be experienced and mentally well-prepared. I think without such preparation you will not be able to endure it.

3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I would try and do my best but i allways have a knife and lighter on me so i guess i cheat lol allsway on me now i have a flashlight a multitool a pocket knife and a gun and a zippo lighter and a bic or two i dont leave house without these as im not getting on a plane or boat to leave the usa im prepared with basics all the time

4. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    It's not entirely impossible. I suppose the first two or so weeks would be hardest. But if you can make it past those first two weeks, I'm sure you survive for year won't be that hard.

Two weeks I believe is enough time for you to explore the forest, build shelter and find ways to get food and water.

5. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think that this would be really difficult. Of course someone would really need a lot of survival training for this. I personally wouldn't bite off more than I can chew. Not having any supplies in a place that's unfamiliar is really dangerous with out help. If you eat something that makes you sick and can't get emergency assistance that can lead to death. There's a reason they haven't made a show like this yet.

6. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    You know, my sister has always been hooked on the reality TV show "Survivor." Personally, I think it is a joke. They are not really surviving much peril or real situations of disaster of any kind. However, I have watched the show "Naked and Afraid," which I think is slightly more true-to-life survival, but still of course has to be partly staged to be entertaining. That's the magic of TV I suppose. If I was given an opportunity like the original poster talked about, the last place I would want to survive is a South American jungle. Perhaps I fear that area the most because I have read a lot of stories, both fiction and non-fiction, about how truly treacherous it can be. There are all sorts of animals, diseases, and parasites that I have little or no knowledge about combating. Sometimes not knowing or being familiar with your environment is truly the most dangerous situation of them all.

7. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    A year would be a really long time. I have been to the amazon jungle for a mission trip. I've been to Peru. I think I would be able to survive because I made friends with the Natives when I went on the mission trip. I have a lot of friends in that particular area. However, I'm not sure I would want to leave my family for a year. And if I was put in a place other than where I have already been or somewhere I don't have connections, I think it would be silly to risk my life for money.

8. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Aboriginal people have been thriving there for centuries. But to go with not man made tools is quite hardcore, you know. There is plenty of wood, water and mud to be creative enough . But also that place is plentiful of insects, venomous critters and *sighs* botfly.

9. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I agree Survivor is a joke compared to most of the other survival shows. Naked and Afraid is the most brutal, I even have respect for those who've failed on there. Man vs Wild and Man & Woman vs wild are some good ones too.

10. GrecianShamrock

GrecianShamrock New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    If it was year and literally like naked and afraid or survivor I think I would struggle at first but eventually adapt. (I hope) Not including the money. I don't think it would be something I would pursue but if need be I would try

11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I would do it but for at least 5 million dollars, after all I'm risking my life here and if I'm going to go away from technology and civilization for a year I would love to be compensated handsomely. Living in a south american jungle isn't the easiest thing in the world, the climate there is quite different from what I'm used to here in Europe and it would take me a while to adapt.
    I suppose with decent planning and willingness I could make it, once I get settled in there's nothing that can stop me.

12. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I don't underestimate the power of the human being to survive adversity. I do believe that I can survive a year in South American jungles. One fundamental to have in such circumstances is mental toughness as well as power beyond the ordinary which in my case would be derived from Christianity as well as determination to fight through thick and thin. It wouldn't take long before you identify a host community.

13. DrPBandJelly

DrPBandJelly New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I would definitely not try this! If you haven't lived in a South American jungle/forest your whole life, then you will never have the knowledge to survive here. There are so many poisonous animals, plans, mushrooms.. I would be dead in 2 days! It would be truly life threatening. Any non-local that does this for a year definitely earns my respect.

14. Karen Martin

Karen Martin New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    That is a really good and challenging question, because to be honest I don't know if I would be able to survive in South American jungles, because number one I am not an outdoor person and I get creepy by hearing different animal noises! I would most definitely challenge myself to a obstacle of such to learn different survival tips and tricks!

15. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    depends if you mean just an ordinary forest or do you mean the rainforest? I don't think a modern person could live there even for a year because of the humidity-water would be the problem, that and the insects.
    native peoples can survive there because they have a lifetime of skills and knowledge, and that's what we would need.

16. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I probably would try to do it if I'm actually given a chance. It's going to be really hard at first but i think eventually i'll get the hang of it. Knowing that there's food and water somewhere, that should motivate me to get moving and start living the game. I would probably build a tree house so the risk of being attacked my wild animals is less than being on the ground.