Carrying Fire.

Discussion in 'All Resources About Fire' started by Keith H., May 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Please note that ANY plant tinder can be used to carry/transport fire.
    Keith.

2. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Good video, thanks for the share it's interesting that when people have similar problems they try to find similar solutions. The solutions can be very different but the result is the same.

Here Ray Mears shows how some nomadic people could carry fire with a horseshoe fungus.

Keith H. and lonewolf like this.
  3. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I live in Texas. I does horseshoe fungus grow in central Texas? And if it does, how would I find it?

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    May I suggest that you consider looking for ALL plant tinders in your area rather than just Horse Hoof fungus per se. For instance, you must have punkwood where you are, do you have Cattails? These are probably far more numerous than the Horse hoof fungus.
    The Horse Hoof fungus is a Bracket fungus that grows on trees, just like the Polypores.
    Keith.
    Here are some links to my blog posts that may help: http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/part-four-closer-look-at-flint-steel.html
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/search?q=primitive+fire+lighting+book

5. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Cattail seedpods make a great way to carry fire in marshy wetlands they are plentiful if the area is wet cattail grow there they are allso a great way to find and locate a water sorce

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Cat Tails are great for a lot of things. You can eat them. they make great tinder and the long stems are useful for things around the shop. A small can with a wire handle can make carrying a small coal pretty easy. If you can control the air flow to it it will smolder for hours and hours and reignite into flame with a little blowing on it out in the open. I carry several small cans for several different uses. An altoid can works well for making char stuff that makes getting a fire started with old school flint and steel a lot easier for the novice. For carrying my fire I like a medium sized tin can with a wire handle and a lid that is wired on one side as a hinge. It won't smother your coal but it will limit the air flow and makes the coal last better. I carry it with a wood bindle stick like a hobo might carry his bindle.

I called it char something because what you are doing is basically drying out whatever material you put inside the can and leaving a residue that is mostly just dry carbon. I make charcloth, charrope and charcoal to make getting a fire going faster and easier when I am going primitive. I set it on the coals and when it stops putting off smoke I pull it off of the fire and either wrap it up or bury it to smother the fire. This is the same way you make char-coal only in miniature.

7. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    The amber coal is placed i the can with dry small amounts of tinder and added to as needed a old paint can works well with holes made near bottom for air inlet and holes at top heat release and air flow