Chaos As Coles Supermarkets Closes It's Doors Due To A Technical Glitch!!!

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Keith H., Aug 18, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    happens regularly each year when the supermarkets shut for one day- Christmas day.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    About 10 years ago there was a big storm that knocked out the power in all of town except a small section of homes and a Denny’s. They had lines that were hours long with nowhere else being open. Once they ran out of food during the second day of the power outage it nearly turned into a riot when they shut the doors.

Really shows how many people are reliant on daily grocery store or fast food visits.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Before the last hurricane that made it into my area the stores were pretty well stripped before it got to us. The power was knocked out for almost a week and the roads were blocked so even if a store have a generator it couldn't get a delivery because the trucks couldn't get there. Chaos pretty much ruled. 12 hours after the storm passed they started handing out MREs, a case of water and a bag of ice for each car load of people at the sheriff's office. The lines ran into MILES. I can't imagine that people were out of food and water that fast but they were freaking out.

Most of the Churches were feeding people and people flocked to them. I was aware that gasoline was going to get hard to find and so did NOT waste gas sitting in a stupid line for 5 hours running my motor and ac. There were people that lived here that sat in line and ran out of gas and couldn't get home even though they lived here and had water running out their taps. The only people that lost their water were the ones that had personal wells. The cities and towns all have generators to keep the water flowing so the sewers work.

We are almost a hundred miles inland from the coast. I never understood the panic. You watched it coming for at least a week. I had everything I needed long before it got urgent. People are not prepared and not mentally able to deal with things if they are not normal even if it isn't all that threatening.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we had a fuel protest/blockade here a few years ago, it was well announced in advance and only lasted a week. no power outs but the filling stations were empty within 24 hours, the supermarkets ran out of milk and bread first, then the perishables and the cans last of all.
    the big stores weren't resupplied because the big trucks they use couldn't get fuel but if you knew where to go the smaller family run stores still had food as they were going to the warehouses themselves and used smaller vans which were better on fuel.
    we were all stocked up before the event and just sat back and waited for it to happen.

6. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good post, makes you wonder doesn't it. One of those "relying on other people" things again, they seem to expect nothing to change & the store etc etc etc will always be there for us.
    Keith.

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    head in sand types.

8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't understand it but some how people think that in an emergency like that hurricane that bottled water is something that you had to have to survive...even though the water never stopped running from their taps they were panicking when the stores ran out of bottle water. My daughter at the time worked at a truck stop while going to college. A local man came in in a blind panic and bought over 200 dollars worth of bottled water for a dollar and a half a bottle. You DO need water but if it is running out of your tap at home where does the panic for bottled water come from??? That was not a real question. The panic comes from people that have lost their ability to think watching TV and the people on TV talking about what you need to be prepared. When a storm is coming you need to put aside some canned food, water and batteries for flashlights. This is good advice BUT it doesn't mean that you should wait until the storm is right on top of you to make those preparations or that commercially bottled water is the ONLY water that will suffice.

When they were giving out the MREs, water and ice I know for a fact that many of those people sitting in line had water at their house. They were in that line because they are not even as smart as sheep and if the officials say that water 1and food is available then it must mean that they HAVE to have it of they will starve and die of thirst.

If the government tell people to stay home and shelter in place these people will sit there and die. The evacuation insanity of that storm was caused by the government trying to get people to leave the areas that were going to be dangerously flooded. They asked people to evacuate starting with the people right on the coast and then later that day the people further inland in low lying areas would go.

What actually happened is that people with absolutely NO reason to evacuate because they were many miles inland and much to high for the flood from the storm to be a danger grabbed a bottle of soda a bag of chips and evacuated with nearly no gas in their cars. The roads and highways blocked and many of the people that needed to evacuate had to ride the storm out in their cars sitting in a parking lots that WAS a 6 lane interstate highway. There was a line of stopped cars 114 miles long when the storm came ashore. Most of the people in that line should have stayed home.

That storm changed my entire view of what the apocalypse would be like. Before that I honestly didn't think that people had become that stupid. I KNOW that the people of my fathers generation were nothing like that. I was raised on the coast and we rode out a lot of storms when I was growing up. People took care of their families first and then as needed their friends and neighbors. They were a thoughtful generation that had adapted to the needs of the war and I guess that was training for what to do anytime there was a problematic situation to deal with. Now we have raised a generation of entitled sheep that can't think for themselves and can't even understand and follow directions. If they hear someone say evacuate on TV, even if the areas affected are detailed in massive detail, all they get out of it is RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!! No matter where you live.

If the media is somehow taken away I honestly think that most of the sheep will sit and die where they are and not even try to leave until it is far to late. The cities will burn and die in riots of sheeple running in circles panicking and attacking each other.

Keith H. likes this.
  9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good post Tex, an eye opener!
    Keith.

10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Looks like everyone here on this site is on the same page concerning the topics of people's dependency on technology, the current lack of responsibility on the part of citizens, and the extreme degradation of self-sufficiency in just three generations.

Here is the example I use and maybe y'all use also (I'm sure most folk over 40 have heard this):
    There was a large power outage in New York City back in the 1960's and what came of it was that nine months later, there was a baby-boom. During the outage, citizens took on the roles of cops and other responsible parties -- ex. guys would stand in the middle of cross streets and direct traffic. Drivers followed these traffic directions. There were some idiots pulling crimes of course, however there was zero break-down in civilized behavior in general.

Even in that sprawling megalopolis, the people DID NOT PANIC.

As the decades have passed, subsequent power outages and devastating storms have seen more and more chaos such as looting and violence. This is a clear indication that here in America there is an ongoing societal breakdown and that the breakdown is happening rapidly.

Obviously, the breakdown is worse in urban areas -- too many people packed together like sardines. In Heartland America, citizens still pull together and behave rather nobly during catastrophes. Last hurricane down Texas way, good ol'boys and gals stepped up to the plate and took care of those in need (better than the government agencies). Texasdanm has related what he witnessed (great info).

HOWEVER, things are going bad even in the countryside. Witness the pandemic of drug addiction. Witness the rates of theft and burglaries. I sure have been a witness to this and it is way past disappointing ... it can at times appear ominous.

I'm getting too long-winded here. Please do forgive.

Therefore, based on what I have said above and on the stories I read in the news plus the stories I read on this site (thanx everybody!), it seems to me that come some truly hard times in Western nations, the people will panic. I could just as easily use the word, "stampede"! Panic is an oft time fatal societal disease. The response of some governments will be totalitarian crackdowns. In many areas the governmental agencies will lose control of their own people and resources. Even armies will see extraordinary high desertion rates. Witness Russia -- currently only a minority of eligible young men report for mandatory service.

Dependency leads to hellish circumstances when the structure of society comes apart. Opening the history books and learning what went down in previous wars and pestilences is an ugly read.

TexDanm and Keith H. like this.
  11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A big part of the problem in the rural small town communities near the bigger cities is the stupid parents that, when their kid got arrested for selling drugs, they moved out into the small towns to get their babies away from all the bad drug dealers. The fact was that their kids WERE the bad drug dealers and now they are in a small town. This happened to the little town that my wife grew up in.

Old Geezer and Keith H. like this.
  12. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    This break down of society is definitely a sign of the times, I don't recall such bad behavour just after WW2. People had their heads screwed on in those days, common sense mostly ruled & people used to help each other. These days you can get attacked in the streets & people will look the other way. I used to put on a WW2 steel army helmet & grab a baseball bat & walk down the dark unlit lane ways to meet my sister coming home from work. Now you can get arrested for carrying a baseball bat unless you can prove you are going to play baseball! My sister never did get assaulted on that long walk home at night. Times they are a changing, & it is a great shame, but as OG says, at least we on this forum realise that & hopefully we will be prepared.
    Keith.

TexDanm and Old Geezer like this.
  13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Part of the break down is that as parents passed their job of raising their kids to day care and schools they also suddenly don't feel any urge to teach their kids stupid things like morals, work ethic or empathy. Then when their kids get in trouble it is never the kids fault rather it was the people he hung around with or the police that picked on their baby.

I saw a thing on the news today. A kid with a previous record was running from the cops. He had a gun. According to the kids Mama her son is dead because of police brutality!!! When the cops closed in on him he shot HIMSELF!! Now they are up in arms because the cops made him do it! They had a quiet week end in Chicago. in the land of no guns allowed they only had 60 people shot this week end.

If the bi*** had raised her sorry son to not be a criminal gang banger he would never have been in this situation. She should be tried for murdering her son by not telling him that being a gangbanging thug was not a good life choice! I will guarantee that whenever he got arrested in the past she didn't say a thing to him about it because it was the cops picking on him. If I had gotten arrested for stealing when I was a kid I would have wanted to STAY in jail...because I knew that if they sent me home my Dad would beat me half to DEATH! Even if my teenaged morals slipped my fear of the old man's displeasure would step in and keep me on the straight and narrow!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Keith H. and Old Geezer like this.
  14. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    An interstate highway was completed through my small town. This highway linked some large-ish cities.

Guess what happened next.

Keith H. likes this.
  15. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    That is exactly what happened to my wife's home town. It became a bedroom community for the big town 25 miles down the road and filled with all the problems that those people left the bigger town to get away from. That was part of the generation that were raised with the idea that if you left your keys in your car you were MAKING a good child go bad. Good kids don't steal cars! Kids that are raised by parents that don't understand this steal cars because whenever they got caught it was always somebody else's fault.

16. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yours is a MAJOR point -- turning the education of kids over to "experts".

When my grandson was here visiting, he got to re-experience his mean old grandpa. What were my kind words to him? "If you don't have anything to say, then shut up." "I don't give half a sh## about your video game and neither does grandma. Live in the real world!" We made him work in the garden. He wanted to stay. We interacted with him. Parents aren't there. My daughter couldn't be with him. She died. If you are not dead, tend to your kids.

I pray God that Dr. Spock is frying in the bowels of hell. When it hits the fan, we need to "educate" some university professors. Back in the 60's I knew some after-hours educators. Seems the crime rates were VERY low back then. Jail if you were lucky -- possum food if not.

Now I need by blood pressure pills. Not kidding. Maybe some product of Kentucky. Neat.

Keith H. likes this.
  17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    times have changed, when I was a kid we could go to any adult if we were in trouble, nowadays parents don't let their kids out to play because they think there is a pervert behind every corner, maybe there is! but kids are now ensconced behind their bedroom door playing on their smartphones or computer and don't get any exercise and that's why a majority of kids, and adults, are obese.
    when I was younger my mother was always cooking and baking, same with my friends mothers, now most people don't cook, wont cook, cant cook, they just slam a ready meal, full of chemical crap, into the microwave and call it cooking.

Keith H. likes this.
  18. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I wonder if kids still get given chores to do? I did, & my sons did too. Any of you had chores when you were kids?
    Keith.

19. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Kids don't get or do chores and in most of the public schools here they just gave up on sending homework home. They were not going to do it and if the teacher gave them bad grades or griped they got in trouble. It was discrimination if you asked a black kid to do homework...now our schools are little better than day care. That is why my Granddaughter goes to a private school.

20. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Schooling is better than that over here, though they do have problems getting government funding at times.
    Keith.

21. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    Being 28 I’m still part of a younger generation. Growing up I was expected to collect and split firewood, clear fields, shovel snow including the elderly neighbors driveway and do whatever yard work was around. I met a lot of people my age that when younger they would get there allowance weekly for doing chores even if they skipped them. I always figured my allowance was a hot meal on the table. That work ethic my parents taught me growing up is worth more then any allowance.

Keith H. likes this.
  22. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I would occasionally get given a couple of bob (two shillings), but it was not for doing the chores. By doing the chores even at an early age I felt as though I were contributing & simply doing my part in the family. I carried in coal & wood for the fires & later my Father gave me my own felling axe & I used to cut trees down & haul them in log sizes across the fields to home. There my Father would put them in a sawing horse & together we would cut them to size with a large two handled cross cut saw. There was gardening work to do both digging, planting & harvesting. I started hunting at an early age with mixed results, I wish my Father had more time to spend teaching me but he worked mostly 7 days a week. Still I managed to put meat on the table occasionally & got more skilled as I got older. I am very thankful to have been raised that way in the post WW2 years because later on I purchased my own piece of land & that experience at home has served me well.
    Keith.

23. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Our comments are a little like trying to paint a masterpiece with a 4" wide paint brush. I actually know quite a few young people that have none of the flaws that we are talking about. Unfortunately it is like the race thing. The actions of few or even the actions of many in no way is or should be reflected on individuals.

Somehow, I'm not sure how, a lot of kids seem to be able to come out of a poor home situation and grow up into fine people. I have an example of this in my wife's family. The father was trash and not there. The mother was a crackhead whore that would disappear for a week at a time leaving the kids with nothing to eat in a house with no power or water. There were two kids. The older one was female and turned out just like her Mama in and out of prison. The younger was a boy. He grew up left the state to get away from them all and became a very comfortably successful family man. ???? The family tried to help but the state would take the kids away for a while and put them with Grandparents... then after a while send them back to hell.

Some parents take raising their kids serious but all too many just don't understand. A child needs parents NOT buddies. I watched this play out several times over the years. Parents that seldom said no and meant it because it made the kids mad and might make them dislike them. These kids grow up like a sailing ship at sea without a rudder.

The fact that you are here tells a lot about you. Forethought isn't always pleasant but maturity sort of makes a man do it. Some males never grow up and become men.

24. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:

I swear. You guys in Australia have some of the shityist Internet. I have a friend that lives in Perth and he's had Internet trouble many times, and it's crappy DSL or something.

Not saying this sort of thing doesn't happen here in the states, but it's like our infrastructure might be a little be better. Not protected against EMP or anything though. Like any country is...