Clothing For Long Term

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Requests' started by Tom Williams, Nov 8, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    The clothing you have to have for long term survival must be sturdy and protective the waing of a light musclete and light hiker cargo shorts with sneakers is fine now but long term you will regert them ! Things to buy are canvas wool good boots these iteams you nd to buy the best carhart woolrich are two i love fo milutay suplus buy winter weight they are heavy weight sturdy cloth and last longer than jungle weight long sleeves and pants protct you from cuts bites ticks and even plants that you contact pouson oak and ivy cut grass thorns ect. wool even soaken wet keeps you warm

Morgan101, AuntB and Keith H. like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I was the first lad to start wearing long trousers in our school at a very young age. I would never wear shorts & runners in the bush here. I do wear modern work clothing, but I always make sure it allows me plenty of room to move. Downgraded dress shirts never seem to last long with the sweat & the sun they rip apart. If I have to bug out I will be wearing my 18th century clothing, far more sturdier & long lasting. More protection too.
    Keith.

Morgan101 likes this.
  3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Had to check name but Filson clothing are the best unchange since 1800s waxed canvas that wear like iron buckskins are great but the hold odors bad

Keith H. likes this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Hunting overalls!! Or just overalls in general. They are heavier cotton material and my hunters have double layers on the front of the legs protecting you from briars and making them last longer. Actually most of the time I will probably go native and not wear a lot. When I was a kid I usually only wore short cut off levis and a sailor hat and worked in the fields sun up to sundown. I mostly went barefoot but also liked those little bit of nothing track shoes they used to sell. Moccasins are ok but bare feet are better once you get your calluses built up. For travel I will wear leather hiking boots but I won't wear them much.

For winter I'll throw in a wool jacket and some thermals but will seldom need them. I am pretty much immune to cold as long as it is above 40. Jeans and a T shirt are my year around uniform with a hoodie occasionally or a flannel shirt worn as a coat. When I go out I wear cowboy boots. Southeast Texas is a pretty warm place so a lot of clothes are not a real necessity a lot of the year. I can be quite comfortable in a loincloth actually. I tan real easy and once browned I am immune to sunburn. When
    I met my wife she thought I was hispanic. I was chocolate brown and was in the sun for 16 hours a day.

Clothing is a very different thing from place to place. Understand that a lot of what you wear is more related to customs and style than necessity. When I go into survival mode I plan on leaving most all of that kind of crud behind. Mostly I will be wearing guns, knives and assorted survival gear on a military harness.

Morgan101 and AuntB like this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Farm and agricultural hardware stores sell heavy clothing and boots that keep people as warm and safe as is possible when they have to be outside working like mules in whatever horrid weather. I've lived in the Mid-West right in the middle of an ocean of agriculture. Carhartt is one such clothing supplier to agricultural and construction workers. Example, get a big heavy canvas jacket and waterproof it, wax it, and it will go on protecting you for years if you don't get it ripped on whatever equipment. Look for triple stitch. Canvas is stiff, but you'll break it in. I've had my steel-toed boots protect my toes from seriously heavy stuff coming down on them (once a hemlock log). When it comes to helmets however, go with military. My dad's helmet saved his life during WWII -- wasn't a bullet that almost did him, it was a swinging piece of hoisting equipment. All he got was a nasty cut to his scalp, which sure beats having your skull split open. In a survival world, otherwise stupid injuries can result in you going septic and dying. I mean, you'll not have ready-access to medical facilities, now will you!!! Being prepared encompasses many areas; you gotta use your brains, and heavily so. Life isn't some TV show; this isn't a movie; this is for keeps.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I mostly wear camo surplus clothing, available on ebay and in the local market, very hard wearing, i'm currently wearing a parachutists jacket I bought in an open air market for £8, elasticated sleeves and plenty of pockets, very warm.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good post mate 51ff782b30466143675e84a48d97360d.jpeg
    Keith.

8. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I would like to think that my clothing will outlast me. I have plenty of it, and it is mostly good quality and durable. Through the years my weight has changed more than it should. I have always kept my old clothes hoping I would lose weight, and be able to wear it again. If we were in a SHTF situation we would probably be working a lot harder, and eating a lot less. Weight loss is almost inevitable.

Do you have clothing that will fit if you incur a significant weight loss? With shirts and coats you could get by. Pants and belts would be another story.

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  9. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Something I was considering . Storing leather making chemicals versus storing heavy duty cloth . Any thoughts on this .

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  10. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't see any point in storing chemicals for producing leather, brain tanned leather is the best for clothing.
    Keith.

poltiregist and randyt like this.
  11. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    If it seemed prudent one of the first things I would do is sew braintan patches on the knee of my britches. For me that is the first place to wear out, the braintan would hold up to some abuse. Might even reinforce some key points on my capote.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A breechcloth/breechclout and leggings work really well and are easily made. The breechcloth can be made out of lighter softer material and then the leggings made of heavier stuff. You can make leggings out of heavy canvas and wear them over pants to protect your legs when you are working in briars.

Attached Files:

CountryGuy, Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  13. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't have that need.
    HF-toJSbqCqkIPdm_bMHmGbOSUfWb9io.jpeg
    Keith.

Attached Files:

Alaskajohn, TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  14. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Totally agree, good choice ;)
    e68f07e7a6aa71ebb76d5634f978a49a.jpeg e68f07e7a6aa71ebb76d5634f978a49a.jpeg
    Keith.

Morgan101, randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:

Keith: I know I was born 150 years to late, but I think you were born 250 years to late. Are you sure you didn't come in a Time Machine? All great stuff. You do beautiful, Craftsman's work.:D

Alaskajohn, TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  16. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Thank you, appreciated.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i have got enough clothes and boots stored to last me out.

TMT Tactical likes this.