Coffeeeee...

Discussion in 'Jokes and Humor' started by GrizzlyetteAdams, Mar 6, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  2. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Ha ha! I love that meme generator website (imgflip.com). I don't have a registered account with them but am able to still make all the memes I want to, on the fly! It's like somebody left the gate open and this pup is shooming out of the yard...into left field. There's just no telling what'all I will say or do.

You have been warned.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    A good friend at work claims he is a caffeine based life form. I'm not to far from that. We both thoroughly enjoy the morning coffee. I must admit a couple of Christmases ago my daughter gave me a coffee mug, which I keep at work. It is a huge hit. Printed on both sides: THERE'S A CHANCE THIS IS BEER

4. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Back in the days when I had a monster 3-pot a day coffee habit (working the graveyard shift in an emergency room in a New Orleans hospital :eek: ), I used to threaten that I would just haul off and put my coffee in an IV bag and get it over with...

Now I am down to one cup of precious coffee a day because I don't want to be suffering a huge caffeine withdrawal during SHTF. :confused:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Hahaha!!!! Now all you hafta do is put a couple of empty bottles of Sierra Nevada's Coffee Stout beer on your desk...

https://sierranevada.com/beer/variety-packs/coffee-stout

Morgan101 likes this.
  6. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I will suffer the withdrawal. It will put me in the right frame of mind for a true SHTF event. Not giving up or cutting down on my coffee. Them be fighting words!!!!

Morgan101 and elkhound like this.
  7. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Bruh, you are braver than I am. I had to do something about my caffeine withdrawals. I learned the hard, painful way that this can be a real thing.

0a9da94752e55b3e36c518215e3f4520.jpeg via Imgflip Meme Generator

elkhound and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I too have experienced those very same withdrawal symptoms in the past. It did not incapacitate me but it sure made me a lot meaner. During normal times I am very well stocked up on coffee, might even run out of ammo before I run out of coffee. If it hits the fan long enough and I run out of coffee, then Katie bar the door because the monster will be let loose.

9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    YAUPON!!! Yaupon Holly is the only known tree/plant native to North America that has caffeine in it. I am going to plant several in my yard this year. Yaupon Coffee/tea is supposed to be pretty good. Give me a week without my caffeine fix and I won't care WHAT it tastes like though!

10. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    100% to that, Tex! For years I have extolled the virtues of Yaupon tea, especially as a caffeine alternative.

It does not have a ton of caffeine (about as much in a cup of tea), but it would be better than nothing! Native Americans bruised the yaupon leaves after picking them and roasted them until they were dark.

Here's more information for the uninitiated including how to prepare yaupon:

https://www.foragingtexas.com/search/label/Caffeine

http://www.walterreeves.com/landscaping/yaupon-holly-make-tea-from-leaves/

If you want to grow it, here is more info on that:

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=ilvo

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/propagate-yaupons-35627.html

https://www.thespruce.com/yaupon-holly-growing-profile-3269333

If it is not native to your area, you can buy seeds, live plants:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ile...7j0j69i65j0.7815j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

11. elkhound

elkhound Master Survivalist
      307/345

Blog Posts:
    1000 black tea bags =$10.. = almost 3 years of daily caffeine.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  12. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    we drink instant coffee, no withdrawal symptoms if we go without.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    My Mother used to get what she called caffeine headaches. They were real. No doubt. She would make a cup of instant coffee, and they would go away. Didn't matter what time of day or night she would drink coffee, and it never seemed to affect her sleep.

14. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    You need to be careful with Yaupon.
    Too much can act as an emetic.

It's Latin name gives a clue:
    Ilex vomitoria - Wikipedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilex_vomitoria
    Ilex vomitoria, commonly known as yaupon /

I have a huge Yaupon bush in my back yard but I don't make the tea.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Because yaupon is once again becoming a popular morning beverage (as evident by brisk internet sales and Amazon reviews, forum/Facebook comments, etc.), I tend to agree with this explanation of the scientific name, Ilex vomitoria:

https://www.navasotaexaminer.com/lifestyles/article_0188da02-c67f-11e8-91cf-0b837035d559.html

Excerpts from the link:

"The plant’s genus, Ilex, refers to another plant which it resembles. Vomitoria refers to what it sounds like, vomiting. That name is based on Europeans’ misunderstanding of a Native American ceremony. "

English naturalist Mark Catesby wrote “Natural History of Carolina, Florida and the Bahama Islands” between 1729 and 1747. In Volume II page 57 he describes how Native Americans prepared yaupon holly, “They say, that from the earliest times the virtues of this shrub has been known, and in use among them, prepared in the manner they now do it, which is after having dryed [sic], or rather parched the leaves in a porrage-pot over a slow fire… they prepare their beloved liquor.” He described a cleansing ritual held one day a year. Members of the tribe drank black drink to induce “spring cleaning” (vomiting). It is believed that other ingredients were added to create a special mixture. This is what lead to the misunderstanding. The rest of the year they used an infusion of yaupon leaves the way we drink coffee and tea.

American colonists were still drinking yaupon tea after the American Revolutionary War (1775–1783). There is no agreed upon reason as to why the drink fell out of favor. Maybe imports of coffee and regular tea became more popular. Some say that the Civil War disrupted the yaupon holly supply chain and it was forgotten. In the mid-20th century it was “rediscovered,” but trying to sell a product named for vomit was a hard sell."

In spite of the hard sell, not one person in any of the reviews or anywhere on the entire internet has ever mentioned a word about feeling nauseous after consuming roasted yaupon tea, much less actually vomiting. I am pretty sure that by now, more than a few people who have gone over board by drinking a lot more than what is "normal,' would have reported something about ill effects. But nada. Ain't dere.

Maybe I am missing something, or maybe it is just a myth that has persisted since an 18th century Colonial misunderstanding of the exact ingredients of an ancient Native American ritual.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  16. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL. I love my coffee but I also have to limit how much I drink at a time. It tends to send me off to the bathroom if I drink too much.

Caffeine is an addictive drug and is the actual true "gateway" drug. When you suddenly stop it the withdrawal is awful. It is in soft drinks, Teas, Coffee and stuffed full in energy drinks. Like all drugs it offers both pluses and minuses especially as with all other drug it is used to excess. I drink it twice a day. My Mother started drinking it at 4:30 AM and there was a pot on constantly until 9:00 PM every day. When we traveled she had to have either Coffee, tea or a Coke every couple of hours or she would have a blinding headache.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.