Color Of Your Clothing

Discussion in 'Wilderness' started by Corzhens, Jun 30, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    When you are in the wilderness, are you aware of the color of your clothes? There are 2 colors to choose from – bright or dark. When you are hiding from people or when you are on a hunting trip, it is best to wear dark colored clothes so you can easily mingle with the environment. Dark green like the color of camouflage uniform is preferred that animals will not easily spot you when you are hunting them. In ordinary times like you are on a camping trip, bright colored clothes is the best so you are easy to find when you get lost. Orange is the best bright color.

The Innkeeper and Crys B. like this.
  2. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I appreciate the value of disguise and camouflage but in most instances, it might be of marginal use. The reason is that most wild animals employ scent and an acute sense of hearing as well as sight to decipher their environments. Warm and happy colours like yellow can however have the effect of deterring predators which pose a potential threat so the wild.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Camo is mostly for making it hard for people to see you. I usually hunt in jeans and have had does walk right up to me curious about what I was. As long as the wind was keeping them from smelling me they were mostly just curious. They are pretty used to seeing people and if you are still they don't find you very alarming.

I like the browns, blacks and greens and such when I am out in the woods but blue doesn't seem to be especially noticeable even by people in the shadows. During deer season I wear a BRIGHT BLAZE ORANGE toboggan/hat and or vest while I'm on the move to and from my stand. I generally avoid whites and reds. Mosquitos seem to like bright colors to me. I do actually wear a lot of camo but not in the woods. LOL, in East Texas Camo is cool and stylish. Even our ladies wear a lot of camo. Actually a lot of our ladies are big time hunters. I know several lovely lasses that hunt the bow season, then the gun season and then the muzzleloader season for deer.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    camo around this area is normal work clothing, nobody even looks at you wearing it, its just normal life, although I did have an old lady do a double take when she saw me wearing it in the supermarket, it could also have been the beard not the camo!:p
    camo in a city is a no-no, you'll stick out a mile.

5. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I tend to wear tweed or soldier '95 DPM while shooting. Tweed is practical, warm, light and made of all natural wool fibres, it's patern works in a similar way to DPM and the colours are matched to the landscape.
    Most of the old shooting and stalking estates have their own patern of tweed, each specifically designed to match the local flora.

6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't think I have any bright clothing. Most of my clothing is in earth colours; browns, greens, tans, grey.
    Keith.

7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL, I have actually seen a guy in Wal-Mart in a ghillie suit except for his head cover. Once the first day of deer season is here for at least a couple of weeks hunting clothes are appropriate almost anywhere. Especially in the early mornings you will see all sorts of camo stuff at the convenience stores getting coffee and breakfast burritos or sausage biscuits. I will probably break out my camo overalls just so I'm in style.

8. L.Anderson

L.Anderson Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    Bright color is better for me. It's easy to spot anyone if they get lost on the trails or while camping.

9. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I suppose it depends what you want to achieve. Bright colours will help rescuers spot you and perhaps prevent careless hunters from shooting you by accident. A lot of modern hiking gear is high visibility for similar reasons.

Crys B. likes this.
  10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't like bright colours, I had to get rid of a bright red fleece because combined with the beard it made me look like father Christmas.
    I stick to camo, lots of camo, blues, blacks, greens.

11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm sitting here right now with a camo T-shirt on. A few years ago a store had an end of hunting season clearance sale on these T-shirts and I bought about 20 of them. I am the sort that doesn't change what I wear much. I wear leans or cargo pants and pocket T-shirts year around. It isn't unusual for the temperatures to be in the upper 80s throughout most of deer season so camo T-shirts work well. I'm fairly dark from years in the sun so I blend in pretty good.

12. Crys B.

Crys B. Active Member
      43/58

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the info!

13. Crys B.

Crys B. Active Member
      43/58

Blog Posts:
    This, I totally agree with.

Although, when a "zombie apocalypse" comes, being found would be the last thing I would want. As soon as the shoomer hits the fan, I'm outa Dodge. I would rather face the wild than deal with anarchy and/or martial law in cities and in civilization.

The Innkeeper and lonewolf like this.
  14. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Most of my clothing is natural colours and tones, if they're not DPM or multicam they're earth colours, greens or tweeds.
    If I stop moving I find it easy to blend in.

The Innkeeper and Crys B. like this.
  15. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    nearly all of my non working clothing is in dark earthen colours or just plain black or faded black.

I also have some custom made hooded cloaks in various camo's
    I find the cloaks very very good for hunting as it takes away the human outline and they cover everything gun included!

16. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    Most of the "stuff" I do is at night and I wear black clothes or dark greys, usually a suit, but it' not like one of those stiff nasty suits that you can barely walk in, I've run a mile sprint in a three-piece. But that's a completely different conversation. My point is that I usually just have to operate in little-to-no light and usually don't want to be seen. Therefore I wear dark colors.

17. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    most of my wardrobe in the woods or anywhere else is dark or earth tones. Style here is cammo or carhart, even many of the kids at grad wear formalwear in cammo. I have a few brighter shirts that I wear for dressier occasions. On the other hand when I lived/worked in the city where everyone wore brighter clothing that’s what I wore, unless I was out in the country then I would revert.

There is some merit to wearing brighter clothing in the bush to be seen easier by potential rescuers, but my everyday carry for the bush includes a Mylar blanket, that will give me plenty of visibility if need be

TMT Tactical, Ystranc and poltiregist like this.
  18. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    I do both, as per Inn Keeper's above post.

I have cargo vests here with one side orange and other side the various shades of tan.

Never had red clothing for ice areas north of 60 north lat but attended many classes on this during corporate days of working.

Think multi-purpose !

TMT Tactical and Ystranc like this.