Color Of Your Clothing

Discussion in 'Wilderness' started by Corzhens, Jun 30, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    When you are in the wilderness, are you aware of the color of your clothes? There are 2 colors to choose from – bright or dark. When you are hiding from people or when you are on a hunting trip, it is best to wear dark colored clothes so you can easily mingle with the environment. Dark green like the color of camouflage uniform is preferred that animals will not easily spot you when you are hunting them. In ordinary times like you are on a camping trip, bright colored clothes is the best so you are easy to find when you get lost. Orange is the best bright color.

2. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I appreciate the value of disguise and camouflage but in most instances, it might be of marginal use. The reason is that most wild animals employ scent and an acute sense of hearing as well as sight to decipher their environments. Warm and happy colours like yellow can however have the effect of deterring predators which pose a potential threat so the wild.

3. TexDanm

TexDanm Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    Camo is mostly for making it hard for people to see you. I usually hunt in jeans and have had does walk right up to me curious about what I was. As long as the wind was keeping them from smelling me they were mostly just curious. They are pretty used to seeing people and if you are still they don't find you very alarming.

I like the browns, blacks and greens and such when I am out in the woods but blue doesn't seem to be especially noticeable even by people in the shadows. During deer season I wear a BRIGHT BLAZE ORANGE toboggan/hat and or vest while I'm on the move to and from my stand. I generally avoid whites and reds. Mosquitos seem to like bright colors to me. I do actually wear a lot of camo but not in the woods. LOL, in East Texas Camo is cool and stylish. Even our ladies wear a lot of camo. Actually a lot of our ladies are big time hunters. I know several lovely lasses that hunt the bow season, then the gun season and then the muzzleloader season for deer.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    camo around this area is normal work clothing, nobody even looks at you wearing it, its just normal life, although I did have an old lady do a double take when she saw me wearing it in the supermarket, it could also have been the beard not the camo!:p
    camo in a city is a no-no, you'll stick out a mile.

5. Ystranc

Ystranc Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    I tend to wear tweed or soldier '95 DPM while shooting. Tweed is practical, warm, light and made of all natural wool fibres, it's patern works in a similar way to DPM and the colours are matched to the landscape.
    Most of the old shooting and stalking estates have their own patern of tweed, each specifically designed to match the local flora.

6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I don't think I have any bright clothing. Most of my clothing is in earth colours; browns, greens, tans, grey.
    Keith.

7. TexDanm

TexDanm Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    LOL, I have actually seen a guy in Wal-Mart in a ghillie suit except for his head cover. Once the first day of deer season is here for at least a couple of weeks hunting clothes are appropriate almost anywhere. Especially in the early mornings you will see all sorts of camo stuff at the convenience stores getting coffee and breakfast burritos or sausage biscuits. I will probably break out my camo overalls just so I'm in style.