Cooking Wild Food - Catching Snails

Discussion in 'Finding Edible Animals and Bugs' started by melvin west, Jun 27, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. melvin west

melvin west New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Ingredients:
    • 2 lemongrass stalks, bruised and sliced into 4 cm lengths
    • 6 young lemon leaves
    • 2 chillis, bruised
    • 1 knob ginger, pounded
    • 300 g sea snails, washed in salted water 3 times
    Instructions:

To make the dipping sauce, mix and combine ingredients well.

Place 500 ml (2 cups) water, the lemongrass, lemon leaves, chilli and ginger in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the snails, then cook, covered for 5 minutes.

Transfer to a bowl and serve with the dipping sauce.

Note:

Washing the sea snails in salty water three times before cooking removes any slime and grit. You should also discard any snails that float to the top when placed in a bowl of water as this is a sure sign that they are no longer alive.
    [youtube][/youtube]

2. TexDanm

TexDanm Master Survivalist
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I have to confess that I have not yet eaten a slug. Maybe we just don't have the right snails here for eating but nothing eats them. If you put salt on them they melt into slime... nope never yet been that hungry! This is about the only thing that is living that I have backed away from making a meal off of.