Countertracking Techniques

Discussion in 'Wilderness' started by Alaskajohn, Aug 19, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    My most recent book, "A Handful of Hard Men" is a great read about the SAS and the battle for Rhodesia. The book has lots of great discussion about tracking and counter-tracking used with great success during this war. I know a lot of us track game, and some of us may be trained to track humans, how many of us have been trained and practice counter-tracking techniques. Since a big part of my plans include slipping over the mountain into wilderness if the world gets too crazy, counter-tracking is very important. One thing the book points out is that counter-tracking at best buys you some time if you are being followed by an experienced tracker.

My military training and experience in tracking and counter-tracking is decades old and my experience was all in a different environment. The northern boreal forests and the "tundra" that I live in is completely different. In this environment, if you make a track, someone could follow it a few years later. I am familiar with common counter-tracking tactics such as not silhouetting yourself, camouflage, backtracking, using game trails, not making noise or creating odors, etc. But these techniques might not be adequate in my environment that is so difficult not to leave your mark. Bear and moose trails abound, and these trails are often the best way to get around. But they don't always go where you want to go, go through areas trackers call "honey buckets" or over terrain where you are silhouetted. Going off these trails mean you are easily leaving traces that my last for years in the tundra.

What are your counter-tracking techniques? How do you counter-track in the snow? How do you train? How do you know you are effective in your techniques?

Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    Snow is a huge problem when trying not to leave tracks so I am also really interested in anyone's ideas on this.

One can do things to try and confuse a tracker in snow such as walking in a large circle, back tracking, using game trails, leaving false trails but in the end your tracks are still there and day glow obvious.

If one has the time to wait for the opportune moment then moving just before a big snow storm is best I think, so the wind and newly fallen snow can hopefully cover over your tracks as fast as possible. This seems to be effective as I have walked a forest trail before a storm and gone back to check afterwards and no trace of my steps remained. But then I am also speaking as to my environment which is different to the tundra mentioned above.

TMT Tactical and Alaskajohn like this.
  3. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I learned to track as a kid. Learning to trap means learning to track wildlife if you want to be a good trapper. I learned to track men in the army and counter tracking. Please refer to TC-31-34-4 Special forces tracking and countertracking/sept 2009. You can buy a copy or find one on line for free. Snow is the most difficult for employing countertracking measures. When possible mix in with a herd of animals or even better get in front of the herd. Slip away from there trail into heavy brush or open water when possible. If not possible and you are being tracked, make a J so you can come around to watch your back track and ambush the trackers.

Dale

4. Alaskajohn

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Yep, I have the TC. On the J move, a big part of what I am trying to perfect is using counter-tracking to help set up an ambush. The book I am reading talks about how the SAS did this with great success. But Alaska is not Rhodesia, so I need some thoughts on how to best do this in my unique environment.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Dalewick
      by yourself or with others?

Dalewick, Aug 19, 2020
  5. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have clearly marked trails leading away from the main cabin. I use them a near daily going up to the cache sites. the even have reflectors on the trees. They lead (in two locations) down the trail to prebuilt overwatch hides. With clear view back down the trail. From the second overwatch, you go another 1/4 mile. And there is a small loop, off of that loop is a never used (maybe once a year brushed) trail that loops back to the first overwatch position. These overwatch positions are "crude" hidden shelters, basicly just enough to get out of the weather, and offer a clear view back the trail. These have been built and perfected over the last 22 years. I sometimes set targets on the trail, and go to the overwatch and practice.

As you know my neighbor who just two weeks ago got mauled to death was clearing his covert escape trail, when a Grizzly got him. He was about a mile back of his cabin. We have several of these covert top secret trails, that depart from out private property, into the adjoining property which is eight million acres of National Forest.

This is where my 37 cache and covert camp sites were.......I have been removing them the last two years. Yesterday I backpacked two propane tanks out from where Dan got mauled. I am packing three firearms. They have not got the right Grizzly Bear yet, so we are all careful.

If I remember I'll tell you about my friend who the cops were hunting for near three years, he carved double moose hoof from wood that attached to his boots. He was near Hope, Alaska the whole time. But on the far side of a big mountain, over in the little Indian river country.

6. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    Do you have anything on the Selous Scouts? When speaking of Special Forces in Rhodesia few were as revered for their ability to slip in and out of places undetected as they were. Pamwe Chete and Selous Scouts Top Secret War are good books on them.

TMT Tactical, Dalewick and Alaskajohn like this.
    1. Sourdough
      I have four or five of Frederick Courteney Selous books, one or two are first editions, and one is autographed. The ones I have are mostly about professional hunting. I have another book that talks a bit about his death.

I have so many great books.....it sucks to be going blind.

Sourdough, Aug 19, 2020
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I picked up a copy of that book but haven't had a chance to read it, yet.

The rat river trapper wore his snowshoes backwards and he was doing "ok" getting away. However when they brought a plane in, that was the game changer.

Unless there is a dog on your trail, you are probably better suited to stay put if possible and carfully travel in inclement weather. Where you walk makes a difference, trying to stay on hard surfaces, the grass strip down the center of a dirt road, along with a caribou herd. Bags can be put over boots and shoes and that will change the outline a bit but a good tracker will recognize a stride and can find it with a stride stick. I read a story about some moonshiners that fooled the government men by wearing some shoes that had a cow hoof type out line fastened to the bottom. Hate to say it but traps will slow down a tracker, no one wants a punji stick jabbed into their backside or a face full of fishhooks.

If there is a team it may be beneficial to lure the tracker or trackers into a bottleneck and catch them in a crossfire. That's only if you know who and what you're up against.

8. Alaskajohn

415/460

Blog Posts:
    The book centers on what the SAS did, but the Selous Scouts are discussed. A lot of the SAS left the SAS to join the Selous Scouts about the time Mozambique fell. This is the timeframe of where I am at with the book. And yes, they were true bad ass men.

In one of the army units I was in, we had a senior NCO who said he was in the Selous Scouts. I knew he had one or two combat jumps during the war. It's clear from the book that the Rhodesians really perfected this and did airborne operations exceedingly well.

I still have not purchased Ian Smith's book, The Great Betrayal. These typically run $300 plus dollars used on Amazon. I am a bit fascinated by this history. While there are so many differences to what happened in Rhodesia and what is playing out in the US today, there is important history that we need to learn. Most critically, how the world sided (to include the US) sided with the Marxist terrorist for short term expediency almost overnight leaving Rhodesians alone, isolated, to deal with an overwhelming onslaught. The world turned a blind eye to the horrific brutality of the enemy and actually celebrated them.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  9. Alaskajohn

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Great thoughts and comments. I need to do some preplanning on my trails to figure out the best points to counter-track and set up some ambush points. I've always had in my mind to slip off to a hiding spot, but if I have someone with some skills following me, the best bet (if I can't hide) would be to lead him into an ambush.

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
    1. Sourdough
      I think we have less to fear from human trackers......and enough to fear from "predator" bear and wolf trackers.
      Having thermal rifle scope is handy......especially in the winter. Most likely more value for night meat procurement, then human trackers.

Sourdough, Aug 19, 2020
  10. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Alaskajohn, Use the terrain to your advantage. Alaska isn't Rhodesia but your terrain lends itself to small unit/sniper warfare as much so, if not more than Rhodesia does. If you think or know your being followed, serpentine up hill and cross through a couple clearings on the way. If your tracks appear to be moving fast (like someone trying to out run trackers) your tracker may get lazy and follow directly on your track. Pick a good hide up on high ground to watch your backtrack. If it's an organized unit tracking you , don't shoot to kill. In combat 1 wounded man takes 3 men out of the unit. Also watch for tracking dogs, as they are a lot more difficult to deceive. Shoot any tracking dog when possible. If you know your area well and plan on staying in it. Build yourself some OP/LP's (Observation Post/Listening Post) to use as emergency sniper hides. Always leave yourself multiple avenues of egress and in a hostile situation leave nasty surprises for uninvited guest.

If an experienced tracker is after you with an experienced team, watch for small teams on both flanks of the tracker and expect the tracker to predict your pathway and not follow your tracks directly. Use cats paws to make tracking you more difficult. Then the tracker has to approach your tracks to insure he is on the right trail to keep after you. Make him cautious by moving through areas that could be easily ambushed. ie, narrow valleys, open river beds, skirt across or around talus fields, make fake starts into thick bear brush but backtrack out using cat paws. Anything you can think of to make his life harder is good for you and gives you more time.

Dale

TMT Tactical, Rebecca and Alaskajohn like this.
  11. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Should also mention that in any organized unit they also have radio along with aerial surveillance with either IR or thermal optic

Alaskajohn and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I just assume that someone tracking me would have a radio and advanced optics if it's more than a couple people. If I have to deal with a organized tracker/hunter team, then it's time for my "A" game. Then dealing with an aerial observation platform and possible multiple teams, means I need to eliminate command and control and be able to ground aerial observation (manned or drone). Pursuit deterrent devices get used along with any available artillery's. Even an improvised 60mm mortar raining on a pursuers head will slow them down. Operational security is in place so things like that DON'T happen. If you take my meaning.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't think there is hardly any chance of being tracked down in Alaska by non-military or non-law enforcement. Now days Alaskans are lazy, and few are even semi-serious hunters. Few will even leave a maintained trail.
    If they came at all it would be riding their fat ass on a snowmachine or six wheel ATV.

For me.......if the super SHTF.......I would start "Instantly" moving supplies to fall'back cabin.
    When the ever first person showed up asking for food or fuel or and help of any kind, I would help the first person. And as soon as they were gone, I would be moving stuff away from the main cabin, in the dark of night.

I would operate assuming others would come with-in days, and I don't want to be here when they come. My skills are in the wilderness "Outside" of the cabin. Inside the cabin I am a trapped sitting duck. Deadman shortly after they arrive. This is why I have put so much work into fall'back cabins and fall'back cache site camps.

Alaskajohn, Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  14. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I simply can't grasp why they would bother with that in wilderness Alaska, unless hunting a serious danger to National Security. They would have their hands "over" full keeping control of the Alaska "Urban" cities.

Plus in a super SHTF event.........70% of Alaskans would be hauling ass to lower 48 with-in a few months. Pretty much everything for the "Urban" cities in Alaska is shipped into the port of Anchorage. If for any reason the barges ain't coming it is double ugly in two weeks.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Alaskajohn and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    I fully understand the OPSEC aspect. Though what you've describe as your A game there sound more like a platoon level ops to me. Might wanna preparing all the necessary infrastructures, manpower, and any support elements, because IF you ever need it it's going to be in one big hurry.

Because there is always a chances that you may be at the wrong place and at the wrong time when shit happen (happen to me more than an occasion, albeit due to mother nature)

Back in High School, my own gov't was giving me a whole a lot of training (for High School student) and they even offering more (trough the school) if I choose to do so. 2 years afterward that same gov't hunt me down to the point I need to bugging out and sleep with loaded rifle by the bedside. What worse is the guy who allegedly given the order had run for presidential candidate twice (and lost), but now the country minister of defense. My point is when it come about politic things are very fluid & dynamic, because you never know when your own ally will become opponent or your opponent turn into your ally.

TMT Tactical, Alaskajohn and Dalewick like this.
  16. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Shooting while moving. Sometimes staying in a fixed position will assuredly get you killed.

In the first video, be sure to pay attention to his water bottle exercise as taught to him by his Sgt.Mjr. Balance balance balance. Do not jar your handgun or rifle. Even pace. Keep your legs bent at the knees. When stepping, get rid of the forward heel hitting ground with force -- this causes jarring which gets transferred to your weapon's aim -- bouncy bouncy bouncy is NOT a good thing. Proceed like a cat. When a cat is stalking, its body remains steady and in-line -- its legs are doing the work and the cat's vision-plane doesn't get disturbed. In a human moving gunfight, this technique keeps the weapon on target and non-disturbed.

TMT Tactical likes this.