County's New Intern Program

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Dec 20, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    "interns" as in not getting payed for doing work? o_O Even back when I was 18's I ain't doing anything for free. Although I did pro-bono legal consulting & advocacy back during my college days, but it was more about getting the experience, networking with peoples and a slight of politic thrown in the mix.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

In the US, there are both categories: both paid and unpaid interns.

Is not the 18 year old working on a road coupled to learning about disaster preparedness getting experience for onward economic mobility ?

Whether paid or volunteer, much networking developing.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I was 17 and worked for the Forestry Service; this was a Fed program. We got worked like dogs -- sure, cuttin' down some trees, but also hauling concrete mix in big wheelbarrows, standing on dump-truck load of asphalt, shoveling it down to fix roads (steel toed & shank boots got hot as if standing on volcano edge), hauling/shoveling gravel, ...

We got paid. Checks got cut by the Department of Agriculture.

"Don't ever volunteer for anything." -- Dad

TMT Tactical and varuna like this.
  5. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Hate to be the one who keep asking silly question (but sincere nonetheless). IF they get paid, then what make them intern? :confused:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    How come you (under 18 yo) managed to work for money and your employer wasn't being accused as employing "forced underage labour"? :confused:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Because that was back several decades ago, almost a half-century ago. Amerika is upside-down different today compared to back when this was America.

In high school, we boys were being readied for Vietnam. I was issued an M-14 (kept in school's armory; Sgt. Major, Battalion, retired, kept the firing pins; he was ex-military intel wounded Korea, multiple tours Vietnam) and a .22 target rifle. We also used other shooting ranges; Sgt.Major gave us fist-fulls of ammo boxes (50rnd each, .22 target ammo), we'd check-out the target rifles, then drive to the police range or the Army Reserve range unaccompanied -- we were welcome at both. All of this was considered perfectly normal. No one batted an eye. We were greeted with smiles.

By age 16, I had several rifles and shotguns. My dad bought me a revolver for my 17th birthday. By then, I had my expert's marksmanship badge. Everyone who shot in competition had their expert's. So shooting expert wasn't that big of a deal. And back then, the qualifications for marksmanship badges was much more strict.

We raised and lowered the Flag every day. Each Veteran's Day, we fired three-volley salutes with our M-14s (blanks with muzzle gas-plates to provide enough back-pressure so as to cycle actions). Trumpeters from our band played Taps from the school's rooftops; this in three-part echoing choral form. If you were American, you got chill-bumps. Some people openly cried.

Was the discipline strict? Yes. We were considered young men, not children.

Today in Amerika, adults are considered to be children who are wards of The Federal State ad-perpetuum.

When it hits the fan, I will provide zero support to leftist urbanites. And if they come to take from us, they will get to stand before the God of the Universe in Whom they do not believe.

As in the past, so too the future.

Genesis 19:23-29
    The sun had risen over the earth when Lot came to Zoar. Then the LORD rained on Sodom and Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven, and He overthrew those cities, and all the valley, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and what grew on the ground.

Deuteronomy 29:23
    'All its land is brimstone and salt, a burning waste, unsown and unproductive, and no grass grows in it, like the overthrow of Sodom and Gomorrah, Admah and Zeboiim, which the LORD overthrew in His anger and in His wrath.'

Luke 17:29
    but on the day that Lot went out from Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and destroyed them all.

Isaiah 3:9
    The expression of their faces bears witness against them, And they display their sin like Sodom; They do not even conceal it Woe to them! For they have brought evil on themselves.

Isaiah 13:19
    And Babylon, the beauty of kingdoms, the glory of the Chaldeans' pride, Will be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

It's not a silly question.

The term "intern" has been expanded here in the US.

I've met retired - RETIRED - military, who got internships in the large Federal Civil Service. Typically, these people are at least 40 years old.

It's different than what Old Geezer is describing above about his Dad. The contacts ("networking") are more valuable than the pay check.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Old Geezer,

Ah ha ! Always wondered where the name originated.

Genesis 15-23-25 is now annotated on a Virginia research master map here.

The line: Lot to Zoar.

Ed Wiley passed away at Zoar State Forest near here. Ed left his beloved widow Kathleen Wiley, a White House volunteer, when he committed suicide at this backwater state forest.

TMT Tactical likes this.