Daikens Solution

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by randyt, Aug 26, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    came across a interesting formula for a disinfectant called Daikens solution, for cleaning and wounds

It's made from 32 oz boiled water, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and 3 0unces of regular household bleach, non perfumed.

here is a link I pulled from the net

https://www.tngun.com/dakins-solution/

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Randy,

Didn't read the link yet.

Isn't this what that late 19th century Vienna pediatrician used in some form prior to delivering babies ? Infections were minimal and he freed women from the near-death trap of pregnancy.

My group knows about Dakin's but my Prepper philosophy is to have the medical supplies mobile in case of evacuation requirements. Thus, don't like to have to boil water due the time consumption. Prefer the have an antiseptic already prepared.

Still, it's a good formula to know - and collect the ingredients - if committed to permanent shelter in place philo. I learned of Dakin's when I took an emergency field dental course overseas.

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  3. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I think they also used it in the field hospitals during ww 1. I agree on having something on hand. Daikens solution has a short
    shelf life, maybe a week.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This brings up a great point. Thanks RandyT for this useful article. (We were running low on brand-X Windex last night and I found a formula for "do it yourself Windex"; ammonia and alcohol, couple of spoonfuls of dish soap. I bet there are a bunch of variations.)

Now during these days when we can still go to the store for supplies, for the medical kit, buy some providone-iodine / Betadine. The pharmacy version is usually 10% providone-iodine. Caring for surgical wound care procedures the concentration is 5%, because iodine can damage tissues. Don't overdo it with providone-iodine -- don't want to aggravate tissues. This product over the counter, brand-X, is not expensive and a little goes a long way. I don't EVEN begin to know its shelf life. I've used it when massively out of date; iodine is iodine, but the providone suspension agent, I don't know if it has a breakdown time limit. On the bottle the companies put something like three years (?).

Providone is simply a suspension agent for Iodine
    https://www.drugs.com/inactive/povidone-169.html

5. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I imagine that "shock it" powdered bleach would be the stuff to store. They say the liquid goes bad fairly fast.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Just pay close attention while diluting this product. I'm gonna go look up "shock it" powder. Seems like a great way to store bleach in compact units. Thanx 4 info!
      Terrorist groups out of the Middle East are now using strongly concentrated bleaching agents to build their baby-killing bombs. Without nitrogenous compounds, these new terrorist devices can defeat current/now-old auto-bomb-sniffing equipment.

Old Geezer, Aug 27, 2020
    2. randyt
      check in the pool supplies..

randyt, Aug 27, 2020
      TMT Tactical likes this.