Data Locked And Other Hacking Nightmares.

Discussion in 'Other Not Listed Situations' started by Sourdough, Jun 23, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    We talk about the ramifications of long term electric grid being down, and how catastrophic that could/would be. Yet daily cities, towns and business are having their data locked, and held for ransom.
    It just seems like we have misplaced fears. Obsessed about EMP and/or CME events, while daily the reality of computer hacking is real current time event.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Could "state sponsored" hackers shutdown nearly everything.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    On news today - Iran stepping up cyber attacks on the United States for sanctions place on Iran . To me the big question is" do they have anyone smart enough to create significant damage "?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    IBME,

You're absolutely correct. Misplaced fears, within the overall equation, are getting too much attention while neglecting the "Trojan Horse".

In January, 2018, the insurance industry changed their business interruption policy. No longer did the basic business interruption contract cover computer interruptions. It takes a separate policy - and separate premiums - for the IT coverage.

This is akin to shark attacks when the mosquito is the greater and more frequent threat. Yes, the shark threat must be addressed but not at the neglect of the mosquito.

It's all still "common denominators". Whether a "state-sponsored" hacker or a criminal enterprise, the protection efforts are the same.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    In past life, I was a Project Manager for an energy management company. Yes, these smart homes and energy efficient companies are prime targets. The staff is to easily tricked into allowing intruders into their systems. EMP And Solar Pulses are issues for the civilians but the biggest problem is the corporations. The vast majority of systems are vulnerable, from inside attacks and poorly trained (security procedures) personnel. If any computer on the system can connect to the internet OR allows new devices to be plugged in by personnel, then the system can be hacked. The guy checking his email or using a USB device to look at his pictures, just opened the door to the hackers.

GateCrasher and poltiregist like this.
  6. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
  7. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I think our whole digital infrastructure is a huge liability. Be it EMP, cybercrime, foreign governments, terrorist, or some smart kid in their moms basement, what we rely on and take for granted it’s exceptionally fragile.

I don’t care about the cause, although the strategy’s to mitigate risks varying from EMP to cyber security are different. But when the world we know ceases to function like we expect it to, we better be prepared to live unplugged from the grid and the network.

IBME, As usual, great topic of discussion!

8. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical,

True: the corporations.
    True: vast majority of systems are vulnerable.

From my experience, if IT is used mostly or exclusively for economy, it is doomed.

If used for both economy and efficiency, it is a modern invention just like steam being replaced by electricity.

There are costs - large costs - for IT efficiency. This morning I mentioned on another thread the insurance industry's treatment of IT regarding the new business interruption insurance policies. It is expensive but worth it.

I do not rely on IT.

Alaskajohn and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The Red Chinese military has entire divisions dedicated to hacking, a.k.a. cyber-warfare. They've already tested their s/w on the USA.

Our military is doing the same thing and is always improving cyber-defense. American industries are struggling or are overtly unprepared.

Universities are at particular risk due to the enormous numbers of Chinese graduate students on campuses across our country. These folk are learning our cyber-defense systems. They are likely embedding sleeper software viruses all the time. Try to imagine the scope of trying to track such attacks.

Even with all of the preparations Western nations have made, I myself consider us to still be highly vulnerable. Israel has some superior systems, but rest assured that they do not share their best toys with us. Israel did work with us on the Stuxnet attack on the Iranian centrifuges. This software was embedded into Siemens industrial control equipment. I'm surprised how much information got out into the press. Maybe our side wanted this to get out.

Curious me, I found out some stuff via ancient contacts, but y'know what, the core info was out in the press forthwithly (there's a new word; I kind'a like it). Neat how they burned out the motors and kept that data away from the SCADA system. Amusing, totally fascinating -- but also scary.

People who postulate a cyber war are not just some science fiction dweebs. No, no, no, this could happen in a REALLY BIG way. After which, life on Earth would change a bit, let us say.

TMT Tactical and Alaskajohn like this.
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    There is a real possibility that someone could release a virus into the internet that could over time infiltrate every computer anywhere that is in contact with the WWW. as long as it does nothing it could go unnoticed and then activated and crash the entire system. This would shut down almost everything. Even if it was a fixable problem, what would the cost in lives be for the civilized world to go without power, communications, water and banking for a month or two??? Personally, when the lights came back on after two months I don't think the world that it reveals would be very pretty! Riots, fires, looting, and just predatory people would read the major cities of every country involved.

TMT Tactical and Alaskajohn like this.
  11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think putting all one's data on a computer whether its personal or commercial is asking to get hacked, not just data as such but relying on computers and the internet for just about all of our daily requirements is asking it to get hacked, some day in the not so distant future someone is going to hack in and interrupt the supply train and then it really will be SHTF day for most of humanity.

TMT Tactical and GateCrasher like this.
  12. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/doug-mackinnon-survive-coming-blackout

Good morning TexDanm,

The above link's second article fortifies your view. The follow-on reader comments are interesting.

Some keys to see the solution - if a solution is possible or practical...remember the nation is politically split...is to define what is "the civilized world" and what sections of it are in the plans for saving. I am sure it is not 100% of the civilized world, as usually defined.

Some grid squares will function along with some well prepared households off grid.

In Realpolitik, will all lives be valued ? I am being blunt but practical.

My belief is that riots in key sectors will be controlled. So, too, looting. Fires are different, especially because they are "mobile" and can be large.

"Predatory people" might just experience meeting other predatory people with social Darwinism, in its non-social aspects, neutralizing the danger to the rest of "civilization".

I agree with Lone Wolf. Using a system that does not allow for security is less about the system and more so about the user. It's like hand wrestling with Superman and expecting to win.

TMT Tactical likes this.