Dehydration/storage Confusion

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Blueberry2020, Mar 20, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Blueberry2020

Blueberry2020 New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Hello,
    I've been hard at work dehydrating frozen corn, peas, and blueberries in my NESCO dehydrator. The end results look amazing. I thought I was prepared for the next step of storage, but Im hesitant to continue because new questions are coming up.

I have no need for '20 year shelf life' because who knows if I'll even be around by then. MANY forums and YouTube videos give constant contradicting information as to how to to store home-dehydrated food. Some experts in here strongly discourage storing in a vacuum:

"I am not a fan of sealing ~~~~home-dried~~~~ foods in vacuum sealed bags. Deadly botulism (which cannot be smelled or tasted) can grow in an anaerobic (airless) environment, especially in the presence of the tiniest amount of moisture that may be lurking inside dehydrated food (despite the dry outward appearance)." -2019

I believe with dry rice I can just through in some Oxygen absorbers in my Mylar bags and seal because its dry. But with my dehydrated blueberries for instance, right now they are in a Ball jar, capped, on the shelf. How long does this last like this in the dark, ~64 degree F?

I guess my question is, is the best practice (if unsure) to simply dehydrate food and then stick it in the freezer? I know botulism can grow in a oxygen deprived environment with just a little moisture, and I know people in here will say that they have been vacuum sealing for years without any problems, but I just cant take that chance of harming me or my family however small it is. I have the ability to dehydrate a lot of food, can I store dehydrated mushrooms in a Ball jar without refrigeration? How long?

I have tons of new Ball jars. Should I fill them with my corn, spinach, carrots, etc and just leave them on the shelf? Put them in a mylar bag (without an oxygen absorber) and put them in the fridge? Freezer?

So confused.