Disaster Tourists

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Jun 6, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.livescience.com/65642-chernobyl-tourism-up.html

The link is about "disaster tourists" visiting Chernobyl.

As far as the article goes, and it's just an article, the specific segment of the public who reads the linked pub, might or might not realize the event is "sanitized". Everything's not reported.

The evacuation of a firth of a million people is a BIG project.

I did not understand what appears to be a conflict of facts. The authorities tell of "negligible radiation" and the tour company reportedly said some areas have "elevated radiation". Fortunately for me, I use my lowest common denominator method for a decision. I am looking forward to my trip to the Appalachia area of Virginia.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I wonder what they expect to see? It is a modern day ghost town.

Weedygarden and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Weedygarden

Weedygarden Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    With many potential dangers.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Maybe they want to be the first in their neighborhood to glow in the dark?

Weedygarden likes this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I've seen some videos of the place. The Russian government has music playing there all the time. Got these huge speakers. People say the place is creepy beyond belief.

No thanks.

TMT Tactical and Weedygarden like this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    people have always "rubber necked" at disasters, look at the idiots who stroll along the coast promenade when a bad storm is forecast.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lone Wolf,

Besides the idiots, may I add the quasi-criminals. Review the Paradise, California forest fires where the trash parked their vehicles on the shoulder of road to get some photos. The roads were narrow enough for big responder vehicles - and delays occurred.

On this side of fruited plain, we have examples of the water sports getting activated during hurricanes. During Super Strom Sandy a wind surfer died because.....not necessary to explain reason.

It's not the weather emergencies; it's the breakdown of society's important aspects.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    we have this kind of thing going on over here from bad parking to abusing emergency service staff to biting policemen and more, it just seems that common sense, common decency and following the rules just dosent exist anymore, most have no "off" switch and no morals.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  9. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This falls under the same thing as many other idiotic things that people that seem sane like to do...like jumping from high places with a rubber band or big handkerchiefs tied to their butts. People like a little fear. The more they get, the more they want. Have any of you ever gone to car races and noticed how people drive as they leave the race track???

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    TD, very good point about the races. The same applies to folks leaving an adventure movie.

12. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL LOL LOL...I don't go to car races....I get enough noise at work in this shipyard.

However..I did go to Moorsville, North Carolina and see one of those companies who build NASCAR type cars and how they are assembled and some of the features in them. Impressive.

Some of their facilities are kept cleaner than our nuclear facilities..the floors are spotlessly clean

While the stock cars and trucks are impressive...the thing which most impressed me was the tractor trailer used to haul this equipment and cars to the race.

Now...that is an impressive set up..that tractor trailer...and big bucks...too!!!!

While the cars themselves are impressive and expensive...I was mostly impressed with the tractor trailer....Cha....Ching!!!!!!!

However......I am not a race fan....or a noise fan....but I do appreciate a well thought out system and or engineering at work...producing and managing a certain fruit or product...and it shows in Moorsville, North Carolina.

Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    What happens in a nuclear reactor when it is brought in for extended periods of time for work ...is that water is circulated through it to bring down or flush out the decay heat.....reduce the radiation and possibly the contamination levels. These heat by products are captured in specialized locations...very hot radioactively speaking. Contaminated particles give off radioactive energy as well.

What the Russians are indicating is that after so many years ...nature....weather... has flushed out certain areas to where the levels have significantly fallen over what they were at the time the incident happened. Natures decay heat mechanism at work.

But should you decide to visit this type of location you should know something about radioactivity..and contamination...and how it is measured.

Most of the world uses a system called Sieverts.

Where I work we use Rems.

There are charts on line wherein you can convert Sieverts measurements to Rem Measurements and so forth.

https://www.unitjuggler.com/convert-equivalentdose-from-rem-to-Sv.html?val=.02

and conversely ..

http://www.easysurf.cc/cnver24.htm

What you need to know is the level at which contamination can become easily airborne...ingested by you internally..in your lungs and mouth..breathing it in.

Most external contamination can be scrubbed off...decontaminated by specific processes...not so with internal contamination. You must have time for your body to flush it out through natural body process....all the while you are being measured and recorded as to these internal contamination levels...white and red blood counts measured etc etc.

A lot of contamination...loose contamination is leeched out and flushed away over time by weather action.

What the Russians are silently saying is that over time the levels of radioactive contamination has dropped by leeching action of weather ....in certain areas.

You decide if you want to put that to a test ..particularly and on a very windy day ....and downwind of the energy source.

I did not read the article but does the article indicate that visitors need to sign agreements before visiting??? Disclaimers and such???

I expect that would be needed to visit..

This might be important to know.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.