Do You Drink Alcohol?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Joshmoy, Jul 9, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    Alkhol iz grrrrreaaaaatttt cant git enufffffffffff Wait wqaitttt uh wait hmmmmm Wherz mi whissssssskeee? Wherd that dang boddddle go?! Sheeeeeeeeeeiiit fire I jist had it besidemehere. I'm fthirsty. Oh there it is.

I kin git it wait CRASH BAM KERPLUNK BUMP BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ouch

That duz it, Imma gonna drank better whissssssssskeeee frum now on

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Desert Girl

Desert Girl Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I go through an alarming amount of alcohol. Funny because I'm not a drinker, I'm a tincturer. There's just so much more herbs can do if you have a good grain alcohol to pull the alcohol-soluble components out. Though I will admit to a glass of wine now and then, I make a gallon of dandelion wine each year.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. coffee

coffee Well-Known Member
      92/115

Blog Posts:
    Its 5 o'clock somewhere. I love a _____________.
    I rarely ever drink, but once in a blue moon, I may have one of those (see the blank above).
    I could care less, if they took it off the planet, but I do not consider it a crime, or a ticket to hell.
    I even more rare will have a glass of red wine. My whole total consumption might total 3 or 4 drinks per year. I never have had a problem with this. But I will say this.....I despise a drunk....just do not get in my face....the smell on their breath makes me sick to my stomach. And could not stand the thought of a drunk touching me....yucky...double yucky. No condemnation meant to anyone who drink as long as you do not drive, or abuse your family, etc. If you do that, you should be, well you know what I am thinking.......

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. coffee

coffee Well-Known Member
      92/115

Blog Posts:
    What is your recipe for dandelion wine ? Please, if you would share, thanks.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Desert Girl

38/58

Blog Posts:
    2 quart jars of fresh picked dandelion flowers (no stem or green, don't worry about the green at the base of the flower)
    3 lbs white sugar
    4 oranges
    1 gallon water
    yeast and nutrient (I prefer CY17)

Instructions: Put your cleaned flowers in a gallon jar. Boil the gallon of water and pour over the flowers. Cover with a towel and let steep for anywhere from 1 to 2 days. Pour back into large pot and bring to a boil again (flowers and all). Add the peelings of the 4 oranges (no pith left on them) and boil for 10 minutes. Strain into your wine bucket (if you don't have one they're cheap and have a fitted lid with a hole on top to put your airlock). Stir in the sugar. When it cools, add the juice from the 4 oranges and your yeast and nutrient. I usually rack at about 6 months and again at the year mark. It just gets better with age though.

Enjoy!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I gave up drinking 19 years ago, there are a lot more interesting things to spend my money on than alcohol.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. coffee

coffee Well-Known Member
      92/115

Blog Posts:
    What kind of nutrient are you talking about, what is CY17???

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Morgan101

Morgan101 Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    Do I drink Alcohol? Only on days that have a 'Y' in them. I like it. I have always liked it. I like the methods used to make it. I like almost every version be it hard spirits, beer, wine. Here is even a little scientific evidence as if I needed any: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjXoSckzbQ

Seriously, I understand the dangers. All things in moderation. I don't drink 1/100th of what I used to. For many years now I could count on one hand and have fingers left over how many drinks I have a year. But I do still enjoy it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Desert Girl

38/58

Blog Posts:
    CY17 in the recipe is the strain of yeast I used. Making wine and beer has become a very popular hobby and there are several online stores that sell everything you need. For making wine this includes a large selection of yeast. The yeast has a strong determination on the final flavor so you need to choose one that will produce a wine to your liking (more or less alcohol and more or less dryness). When making dandelion wine you just need to choose a yeast that does well in white wines. CY17 is the strain that I like for this recipe. The nutrient is a cheap way to help the yeast get off to a good start. It's a food for your yeast that helps it get busy faster.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    Pure blackberry wine (NOT the stuff that starts with grapes) costs big bucks these days. I like blackberry and blueberry anything; jam, jelly, wine, ... whatever. My grandmother used to make at least 30 jars of blackberry jelly every year in addition to the other jellies and veggies she'd can. We'd pick those berries ourselves. Sometimes her sister would help us pick (watch out for snakes when picking!). She'd fill her basement and other families in our clan's root cellars. She was a WORKER; killed her at 94.

Blackberries are good in moonshine. Add sugar. Teeth are highly overrated. My teeth are what are commonly referred to as root canals.

When you put back ETOH, use 141 / 151 proof or above. Flavoring? Dump in the fruit you love. Never cut your high proof with anything but the best mountain water, that which jumps right out betwixt the boulders. If that water is so cold it makes children's healthy teeth hurt, good. Water's good when it's been filtered down through a couple of thousand feet of mountain granite.

2fe70ec4181dffd7499b5289fd24fd9d.jpeg

2fe70ec4181dffd7499b5289fd24fd9d.jpeg

May the Lord God protect and nourish the soul of Popcorn Sutton throughout all Eternity.

We came from the same hills, the same counties, the same people. There's a way of life that is rapidly disappearing. One's heart is heavy.

11. randyt

randyt Well-Known Member
      72/115

Blog Posts:
    no alcohol for me, I have to many things I want to do. I don't want to do them hungover or buzzed.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. watcherchris

watcherchris Master Survivalist
      297/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm with TMT Tactical. I do have an objection to stupid.

Not into drinking per se and have plenty of alcohol around here...hard stuff...the good stuff.

I just have no interest in sitting around drinking to be drinking.

I like wine...certain wines....particularly with good food..but at the same time do not want to sit long at the wine as the saying goes. Same with beer.

I used to have a beer with one of those fine Hebrew sandwiches from a local deli. That was good.

But I never intend to have a career in drinking.

As one member aptly stated...I have better things on which to spend my time and monies.

Strict rule here...

I don't operate machinery and drink..and definitely don't handle reloading or firearms and alcohol.

I can do stupid....stone cold sober....and I can be good at it.

I've known too many career drunks in my lifetime. Never want to become one of them.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. watcherchris

watcherchris Master Survivalist
      297/345

Blog Posts:
    by Olde Geezer...

Now this is true..

You see lots of people on the side of the roads in the mountains putting water in to jugs where it just comes out of the rocks on the side of the mountains/roadside. It's good...cold too!!

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. CountryGuy
      Spring water is great in more brews...

CountryGuy, Mar 14, 2019 at 8:58 PM
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I do. Mainly beer though occasional bourbon, scotch and whiskey. Also love Ciders and in the last year or so started fermenting my own and getting ready to do some mead from local honey. Also this spring I'm going to try doing a batch of dandelion wine. Anyone have a great recipe to share?