Do you keep a survival journal?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by cyclistbabe, Jun 6, 2016.

Do you keep a survival journal? 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. cyclistbabe

cyclistbabe New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I would like to think I could keep a mental encyclopedia but in reality my memory is terrible. I'm thinking about starting a journal in which I could put pictures, diagrams, tips, hacks, etc, etc, etc, that I could utilise in survival situations. The bare bones of it I can store mentally but things like plant identification, energy solutions, water filtering and other nuances I would like to write down.

So, do you keep one? What does it look like, how big is it, what are the main parts, and how much do you think you would rely on it's information?

BeautifullyBree and Keith H. like this.
  2. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    The thought of keeping a survival journal never crossed my mind. I wish I would have thought of this during my traveling days. I think it would have given me some good perspective on how different my life once was. Although I do not have a journal dedicated to survival alone, I do have a journal dedicated to everything going on in my life. There are a few survival stories in that journal from when I was having a rough time on the road. My journal is a leather Harry Potter journal with numerous pockets on the sides. It has a fold out map of Hogwarts, where I glued numerous things I've found throughout my life. I have glued everything from feathers to coins throughout my journal. I try to write a foot note alongside each item as well, so I can remember why it was considered important enough to put in a book.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I have journals, but not a survival journal. Sounds interesting, though! I mean, my current journals (I've filled several over the course of my life) detail a lot about life events--the good, the bad and the downright ugly. But I don't cleanly focus on survival techniques and tips. Rather than a journal, I keep that information in a paper file.

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    When I first started my survival journey I liked to keep a journal with everything I'd done in that day and my thoughts on the current situation, it was actually really fun to sit at a campfire at night and write out my thoughts, it was also useful for my sanity. Nowadays I don't do it anymore, not really sure why I stopped. I should definitely pick it up again!

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes I do carry a journal. I made my own. Handmade paper & leather covered. I use it for recording anything that is worthwhile remembering, repairs I need to make, native edible plants & have found etc. I keep a pencil inside the journal. This image I would say is probably to scale.
    Keith.

[​IMG]

cyclistbabe likes this.
  6. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    What an excellent idea. I too have trouble remembering some of the less Popular information. This would be an awesome way for me to write down must knows. I can't wait to get started.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    No but with this post I'm going to start one soon. Same as you are, my memory is not good anymore. With a journal, you will be reminded on the skills you need to survive.