Do You Own Any Vehicles?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Koala, Jul 9, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Vehicles, such as cars, bikes, motorbikes and similar are extremely useful in survival situations that require us to travel big distances.

Me and my partner have two cars; one that I use for my personal needs and one that he does. My car is an Opel Corsa D 2012. It is great for the area where we live which is still somewhat close to the city. My partner drives a Mazda CX 5 2015. Besides the two cars, we also have two bikes for each of us. Nothing fancy though. We also have an electric scooter that can go up to 100KM/H.

So, do you have any vehicles? If yes, which? If no, why not?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    No, because I don't know how to drive. I also felt scared of seeing people dying on the streets because of car crash accident. I would rather be a passenger than a driver if ever I would own a vehicle.

3. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    No. But I'm planning to get me one in the future.

Koala likes this.
  4. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Wait, have you actually seen somebody die from the car accident or it's just your fear of happening? Either way, you shouldn't fear at all. Yes, driving can cause accidents but you can also walk down your stairs, fall and break a leg... that doesn't mean that you shouldn't use the stairs. I think driving is a good skill to have.

@Neiltarquin that's very nice! What kind of car are you planning on buying? We always buy the used cards because the brand new are too expensive... we've had loadsa luck so far. Our previous car was also used and it lasted far longer than it should :)

5. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I used to own a Suzuki bike. I loved it got me anywhere. Every since I moved back with my parents I don't have it anymore since I had to sell it. I really value bikes over cars. Fuel consumption, maintenance cost, style beats most cars any day.

6. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Something economical. Maybe a van if given a priviledge. If not, maybe a mazda 6

7. Joshmoy

Joshmoy New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I personally do not own a car, but my uncle has a car which I cruise around in with my friends. The model of the car is Honda Bullet. Although I love cars, especially the fast cars, I am thinking of buying a Kawasaki power bike. I've loved the bike since I was a kid and besides, the bike is more economical than a car.

8. Bishop

Bishop Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    Jeep Wrangler caravan pickup truck car SUV

9. JimLE

JimLE Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    i dont have my own at this,simply because i cant afford one..but yet.i do have full and complete access to my moms 2008 KIA rondo..i dont like small vehicles..but yet,this car has been a nice/good one so far..

10. Rhodolite

Rhodolite New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Currently not really. Owned a couple of cars in the past and with me constantly moving around it's moot point to own one anymore. I just lease, Uber and public transit for the most part. Gonna get a motorcycle though. Those are fun and I have been licensed to be able to ride them for several years but haven't had the chance to really settle down to justify purchasing one since I'd also like to work on it as well.

11. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      345/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes, living off grid in this day & age you need to have motorised transport, though if things were to change, I would have no problem with using a horse & cart.
    We have three 4WDs, one which remains on the property for work purposes, & two for on & off road use. We need to have 4WDs out here as our roads are dirt & we have creeks to cross to reach the tarmac. My wife has a Toyota Hilux with a hard canopy, & I have a Triton. The work vehicle is a Lada.
    Keith.
    0e17751929a970cfa69f14fb04d280b5.jpeg

1. omegaman
      I see that little Niva there in the background :) I love those.

omegaman, Oct 5, 2017
  12. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    No vehicles since I live in the middle of the city and I can get public transportation like cabs or buses easily here. Also, I don't really see the need for me acquiring a vehicle since I'm mostly home and if I get a car (which would have a serious dent in my bank account), I would not be using it a lot and it will mostly end up collecting dust and having its engine and other parts degrade in time because of non-usage. It's a lot easier for me to hail a cab, and it would be cheaper too compared to shelling out a ton for a new car.

1. omegaman
      But if SHTF, cabs are gonna be hard to catch, Maybe a scooter or something? Just suggesting.

omegaman, Oct 5, 2017
  13. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I live in small town and commute 60 miles round trip daily to work and back, so yes I have vehicles 3 in fact, car for me, car for my wife and a pickup.

14. omegaman

omegaman Well-Known Member
      70/115

Blog Posts:
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2009 is the family car. We have alot of bad roads. And the Jeep is really comfortable for long hours on the highway.
    Suzuki SJ413 1986, suspension modded with VW 1,9L turbo diesel and 410 gear parts and diff locks is my funtruck
    If I find a good Lada Niva Ill buy it. Got an awesome project in the back of my head.

Masey Ferguson 67 tractor

Two Skidoo snowmobiles

Keith H. likes this.
  15. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    I have a 2004 Vauxhall Agila 12oocc utility type vehicle-the back seats go down and I use it like a van, its very fast and small enough to get through the deep dark Devon lanes without having to stop for vehicles coming the other way, apart from Tractors!
    wife has the same only her's is the 1000cc model.
    their cheap to buy and cheap to run.

Keith H. likes this.
  16. Keith H.

345/460

Blog Posts:
    dd6bb29699b26407b901dbac8f9d1f0b.jpeg dd6bb29699b26407b901dbac8f9d1f0b.jpeg
    dd6bb29699b26407b901dbac8f9d1f0b.jpeg
    Y55UVw9hru8NUvv1Cu5qtYLBmnHS3-sW.jpeg
    Top to Bottom: My Triton 4WD, my wife's Hilux 4WD, & our forest vehicle the 4WD Lada, & a 4WD Kabota tractor with dual rear wheels.
    Keith.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    omegaman likes this.
  17. TexDanm

TexDanm Master Survivalist
      295/345

Blog Posts:
    We have two ford trucks, one SUV and one Sedan I also have two or three boats. I sold my Motorcycles years ago but am looking at them again. I would like a smaller scrambler type that is street legal but has some off road abilities.

I tend to prefer older vehicles. I pay cash for a car or truck that has a lot of miles or even a blown motor and then take the money that I saved and often put brand new motors in them. A three or four year old car with a blown motor is worth almost nothing. I have bought a couple for under two thousand buck that after putting in a new motor were worth nearly three times as much as I had invested in them. If you like doing a little mechanic work and have the tools it is actually sort of fun and a great way to have good dependable transportation without spending a lot.

I'm getting too old for all that now days and my wife and I are discussing actually buying our very first brand new car. Maybe for our 45th anniversary of going steady next year.

18. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      300/345

Blog Posts:
    A good investment for use is a rokon trail bike mine is a 1968 with care and mantaince it has never let me down runs as good today as the day i got it new warn ya even used they are not cheap but you get what you pay for

Keith H. likes this.
  19. Keith H.

345/460

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like a good option, you could even carry this in a vehicle just in case.
    Good post.
    Keith.