Do You Relize?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Requests' started by Tom Williams, Jan 24, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Do you relize when the grid goes down 90% of the stuff your use to useing will be useless junk with no power no heat no water food in fridge will soon be spoil your tv cable internet poof gone cell phones will work for awhile as most towers have backup but will your gps and all yur apps work mren likely not saterlights will not be able to respond nothing will be here to recieve the signal the fedeal goverment will take over any signals that work. for national security main roads wil y to be cleared to be used by goverment dont think for one second that reading this and other sites now are ging to be useable so unless your ready and have used these skills are use to them that you dont need this site or a book to refer too you need to know have used have ate have walked. Tostand any chance to live do it now not when its to late

Grumpy Max likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    anyone that relies solely on technology will be lost once the power grid goes down, everything they use either needs power directly from the mains or it needs to be recharged once the battery goes flat.
    not only that but think about everything else that uses electricity, gas pumps wont work, street lights will be off, automatic doors wont work, the tills in the shops wont work, the list is endless.

Brownbear and Grumpy Max like this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Puerto Rico: If a person owns an electric generator by not an accompanying shotgun or rifle, the generator will be stolen.

4. blade_foxhollow

blade_foxhollow Expert Member
      138/173

Blog Posts:
    Can some please translate?

5. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "If a person owns an electric generator by not an accompanying shotgun or rifle, the generator will be stolen."

Should have been: If a person owns an electric generator but not an accompanying shotgun or rifle, the generator will be stolen.

i.e. The people of Puerto Rico are subject to rather strict firearm laws. Felons own whatever they wish to own; do whatever they wish to do. Therefore, post-hurricane, gangs took what they wanted and still are. Citizens are unable to keep generators because these are immediately stolen. Fire up a generator in Puerto Rico and you WILL be robbed. Me, I think that the cops should have plain clothes officers starting up generators, then when the felons roll in, they should be annihilated with battle rifles -- wipe out the inferiors and that island will be a whole lot safer. I'd also like to see responsible citizens armed.

I wish the civilians of Mexico were armed so that they could kill off the soldiers of the drug cartels.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  6. blade_foxhollow

blade_foxhollow Expert Member
      138/173

Blog Posts:
    Not yours geezer. The original post is in text speak with it quit trying to decipher years ago

7. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    yup Olde Geezer...

Around here after Hurrican Isabelle years ago...the city put up generators at certain intersections to run the more important intersection traffic lights. Someone stole the generators..putting hundreds...yea even thousands at risk traveling through these intersections.

I despise such people who can get ready with snacks and beverages for tonight's game on television but not for bad weather.

These people are to me ...two legged wildlife....Ishmaelites who would not think twice about putting others in bondage or involuntary servitude by taking their stuff because they prepared.

I also know that FEMA is no better and has carte blanche to come in and take your generator and fuel if conditions are very very bad.

I have four generators...two 1200 watt generators...a 7500 watt and a 4000 watt...but am very cautious about such two legged wildlife.
    The 1200s are for more portable uses and to go to my mothers house in a pinch ..even if I have to cart it over there on my scooter. She needs refrigeration for her medicines...and I have made provisions for getting her a generator should the power go out for long periods of time.

A fellow I know from work came buy awhile back wanting to borrow one of my 1200 watt generators during an extended power outage....I told him no.

He has had years to prepare but would rather spend his money on drink and smoke..rather than prepare for his family.

It is sad that his ways cost his family..but It is not my responsibility and I don't care if he is pissed at me.

I don't care if he smoked or drank...if he took care of his family first...but he chooses instant gratification first...and it cost his family.

To my knowledge he still does not have a generator.

I am not the welfare office....nor am I expendable or disposable so someone else can enjoy smoke or drink.

Ishmaelites.

My non Ishmaelite .02,

Watcherchris

Post script.....

The Drug Cartels in certain areas of Mexico have become a type of defecto government...a government unto themselves.

The problem with the drug cartels is that they are become a government hell bent on a goal of

"Democide"

Democide...death by ones own government...death by democracy if you like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democide

Once you become familiar with this term.."Democide" you will recognize it going on right now...today ..and even way back into history.

Much of Democide has been covered up in our news and history books ...to prevent us from thinking for ourselves..

While the world tries to compare any and every tragedy of such to Adolph Hitler and Company ..they ignore the other bigger "Democides" in Soviet Russia and Communist China....even the more recent in Cambodia.

I just happen to know that these two nations killed more of heir own people and in bigger volumes than did the Germans.

I am not here excusing the conduct of the Germans...but only the scam being pushed off on us here in America by not knowing any real history.

This "Democide " is still going on today..right now in the Sudan...and being ignored by many nations and governments...The UN for example...

I believe it is getting ready to take place again in South Africa...and Zimbabwe....big time....to help the government cover up failed economic policies and practices.

I also believe that some very corrupt and depraved individuals are attempting to divide American into a position where someone can carry out Democide to solve social issues that they themselves have manufactured and magnified rather than find real solutions.
    They will do this to herd Ameicans and keep and maintain power under a state of continual emergency....even if it means Civil War.
    This to cover up and destroy successful economic policies which are putting people back to work..and thereby threaten their political power base.

These people are, to me, no better than the Mexican Cartels.

Here is R.J. Rummels interesting statement via his research on "Democide." This is a line of thought you will never hear from the Bleeding Hearts in our News Media and also from Public education.

I found this information interesting, telling, and thought provoking. The Mexican Cartels are most certainly confirming this for us though I think much of the truth of what is going on down there ..is kept from most Americans.

I get the impression that what is happening in Mexico is worse than what happened in the Columbian drug business many years ago...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Sonofliberty, Radar and Grumpy Max like this.
  8. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    What im saying here is to not relie on tech stuff as when grids down it will be useless

9. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    My first generator came from a yardsale small about the size of a ammo box 2stroke kohler motor it runs fine this little thing has saved our butts many times for its size it runs enough stuff to surive a power outage well

Radar likes this.
  10. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Our large northstar was got about 80 in 83 tornados hit us hardand bad the genrrator wastaken to a local gas ststion we uled the meter and backfed the store this gave us use of pumps and other stuff from store to help cleanup go smoothly the store now has its own bsckup generator to aid if this hapens again

11. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Agree..Tom Williams. That is why I got my Ham Radio License...and have back up power..in the form of marine batteries as well as a couple of olde car batteries...for powering up my rigs.
    The olde Hams from whom I learned taught me how to make my own antennas ....as well as how to run them up into trees without a mast holding them up.

This in addition to gasoline generated power.

I am keeping my eye on Solar power...with a mind to this stuff becoming less expensive and more efficient and also creating more power per cell...for charging up batteries. Solar has come a long ways....from 20 plus years ago.

I agree...people need to know how to go independent.

I have also hooked up my generator to this house and run this computer off it as a test. It works fine.
    My friend out in Tennessee has generated power as well...should the local power company go down.

I will be on my Ham radio tonight and speaking with my friend out near Johnson City, Tennessee...tonight on the 75 meter band..and also if he is there...the 160 meter band. This saves phone charges. The distance is some 400 miles.

My friend and I are both working to keep up our morse code skills....with a mind to SHTF....and whole systems going on the fritz. Morse Code also works well under difficult atmospheric conditions ...though it can be slower than a microphone.

This computer and cell phones are nice..when the systems are up and running...but when the power goes out you have nothing.

I am also a short wave station listener and can tune in the shortwave bands on my ham radios...and listen to news and information from across this globe.

I realized something was very wrong with our news media in the late 1970s and 1980s...long before they were christened as "Fake News." Shortwave listening taught me that.

I can receive and transmit from the AM broadcasting bands to somewhere just above 500 MHZ..in AM, FM, upper and lower sideband...as well as Morse code modes.

Many of the Ham radio operators are up on what is going on in this country and in the world and tuned into sources off the main path...which is it's appeal to me.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Radar, Steve-0 and Grumpy Max like this.
  12. Troy922

Troy922 New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    When the grid does go down,"its just a matter of time" yeah we might have generators. But most generators need gas witch is fine, but when that stockpile of fuel is gone id say you'd be kind of screwed. I personally have been looking into solar energy and have tried different types of things but this really caught my eye the other day. https://tinyurl.com/y98jm6f8
    Its a PDF and Video guide that teaches you how to build your own solar energy system.
    green energy is defiantly the way to go for the future of mankind, and i think its the way to go for any type of survival situation. I mean what other choices would we have when we all run out of fuel and cant charge our battery's for flashlights ect.
    Keep prepping guys, be prepared just like any good boy-scout would!
    God bless everyone!

watcherchris likes this.
  13. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Troy922,

Oh..we will run out of fuel eventually..but not because there is no oil out there..but because it is man manipulated as it has been since WW1.

Yes...WW1...way back in 1914 to 1918.

As soon as the price got up high enough ..there was plenty of oil to go around. And this game continues to day.

A preacher named Lindsay Williams exposed what was going on in Alaska with the Alaskan Pipeline and attempts of the industry via enviornmentalists to shut down or prevent the pipeline from being built.

Lindsay Williams also exposed information via the drilling workers....that there were oil fields up there for which they did not know the size of them...they did not get a good echo back when setting off seismic charges...the fields were so big.

Lindsay Williams exposed that the problem with Alaskan Oil was to keep it off the marketplace and out of America to keep the prices up...not down.

The same with Vietnam....the War was a cover for developing the OIl fields on shore and off shore and cover the new oil refinery being built in the U Meng forest area.

When the war was concluded the whole nation was allowed to go into Communist hands to prevent the oil from coming out of the ground as most of it was capped off. Communists are to stupid to run anything at a profit but they are excellent for putting a whole country into storage and the resources off the marketplace.

So too with radical Islamic governments. They have replaced the Communists in keeping resources bottled up, the nations into storage and the resources off the marketplace.

There is more oil out here than anyone wants us to know...natural gas too. The problem/issue is keeping it off the marketplace....so as to keep prices high...just like diamonds.

I am not debating here against solar power nor against prepping.

Just making a statement about the scam which has been going on so long that people think it is now normal and natural.

Neither solar power nor wind power will produce enough electricity to keep a nation going and functioning.

I have seen the wind power generating station on the Big Island of Hawaii on the way to South Point....huge tall wind generators...most of them sitting idle and broken. No funds....but plenty to give to other nations around this world.
    And this location ...South Point is windy pretty much 24/7/365 days a year.

You can see this station from Google Earth.

There is a huge scam going on in oil production and has been going on for many many years now.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris.

14. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Kerosene powered radio (they utilized thermocouples):

https://www.google.com/search?q=ker...KEwi2muOSlfzYAhVPyVMKHV6VCFcQ9QEILTAC#imgrc=_

alt energy devices
    https://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/10-best-gadgets-have-emergency.html

Here's a more modern thermocouple radio
    https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1274754

One article mentions Russia coming up with these, however I know the Chicoms used these to get their propaganda out to the boonies. Due to my background in matters industrial, I've been around thermocouples ad perpetuum.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.79...0.0.cCzaXKTbyGU

Small generator that converts heat from your woodstove into electricity:

https://www.ebay.com/i/222744780255?chn=ps

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...category=3240&pm=1&ds=0&t=1509738898000&ver=0

http://www.tegmart.com/

Too expensive for only 100W:
    http://www.tegmart.com/thermoelectr...-wood-burning-stove-thermoelectric-generator/

http://espressomilkcooler.com/thermoelectric-power-generator-systems-for-sale/

Thermocouple technology is nothing complex whatsoever. Everyday thermocouple usage is seen as a measurement of temperature. Two dissimilar metals welded together can generate an electrical current -- now think wires made of different metals. There are hundreds of different wiring combos and for each combination there are big tables of temp/current. I used to could off the top of my head tell you which application your factory process needed. A bunch of you guys have these as a temp probe for your multimeter -- mine do, at home and at work.

Radar likes this.
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    dosent matter how much oil is out there, it wont be being processed at the refineries post SHTF.

16. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Wow Olde Geezer,

You got me to remembering. Though this fellow has today gone the way of all flesh....May he rest in Peace.

I remember the last time I spoke with him...he told me of some work him and some others had been investing/doing on using heat to make electricity. That was all he would tell me back then.

What he also told me was that the government had at some point stepped in a seized all their work and tools...plans and instructions...shut them down.

Whatever the were doing was too successful for someone out there and the government became the suppressing agency or proxy cover to protect this industry and its not wanting to be seen or known.

This is not the first time I have heard of this being done by government agencies.

The first significant story/invention of which I' ve heard being suppressed was of the Rife machines by Royal Rife.

Others were in books like "Suppressed Inventions And How They Work"

https://www.amazon.com/Suppressed-Inventions-How-They-Work/dp/087947307X

Also "Browns book of carburetors."

https://www.amazon.com/Brown-Book-C...k+of+carburetor&qid=1559491683&s=books&sr=1-1

Interesting reading about the suppressed inventions which might have made our lives better, more efficient, but these inventions might have destroyed existing businesses and industries.

We are talking here about suppression....censorship...which became a groundwork...background understanding in and of the Main Stream Media and it's work in censorship and suppression of thought and expression today....ie...Herding.

The results of which are bondage..and servidude...no different than the suppression and censorship of inventions...by companies using/misusing government proxies to do their work for them....and keep these groups/businesses hidden from public view.

Just my non Ishmaelite .02,

Watcherchris

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  17. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    My view is that is it is best to avoid lots of tech anyway (I am mindful in making that statement that I am typing on a laptop...however...). Many skills like using an "old fashioned" hand drill are valuable to have regardless of the state of the grid. Preserving non tech ways of doing stuff pays off in many ways, not least that we should not allow old skills to disappear without trace.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    tech wont help anyone survive post SHTF only skills and knowledge will.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely, and all tech will become obsolete very quickly as power ends and batteries run flat for eternity.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    all tech requires either a direct connections to the power grid or recharging via batteries, none of which will be available post SHTF.

21. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Everybody has to start prepping and build up from there but some of this stuff is teetering on the edge of being a total failure . Like planning to step into a motorized vehicle and running from the problem , cranking up the generator and having a neighborhood party grilling in the back yard , having a few jugs of water stored as the only water you have . Waiting for someone to save you. Those planning to open that can of seeds better have some food available because it will be months before that garden comes in and starving neighbors will likely raid your garden . Freezing to death for some will be an issue . I consider a major hurricane a minor event and being from the deep south have seen my share . Appears a hurricane is about as bad as some think will occur and stop their prepping at that level . Ok I guess I have pis-ed off enough people for today , I will get off and get me another cup of coffee .

TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.
  22. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    I can and will maintain 240vAC power for a very long time so I will be using your useless tech when ever I choose
    I will read from my vast electronic library, I will print whatever I need and I will laminate it if I choose.
    I will maintain my fridge and freezer so to my jug and microwave

I see no reason not to use them:D

23. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Poltiregist,

A clarification request;

I understand your theme but 2 points made above do not help my clear understanding of it.

I am guessing it's the use of different meanings per word / term / expression. Eg, I understand and support Lone Wolf's overall theme but I have some different definitions for same term/expression. It's not electric/electronic but I've seen - and this means in current times - use of the heliograph.....and it's "tech".

Thus:
    1. What do you rely on to call a major hurricane a minor event ?
    2. If "the problem" is considered lethal eg a confirmed coastal epidemic, isn't fleeing the peril ie the problem, the correct response ?

Thanks in advance.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  24. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    A major hurricane is a minor event to you if it hits someone else.

You can't necessarily flee an epidemic unless you can be positive you're not contagious yourself.

You could just be spreading the problem, like travelers with Ebola.

25. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I disagree. Depending upon the type of event, you might still be able to use solar or other systems to generate electricity. As for batteries, research Nickle Iron batteries. Edison invented them, and the original ones(over 100 years old now) still work.

26. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    ROFLMAO!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  27. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I went through the eye of one of the strongest hurricanes in American history in terms of wind strength" Hurricane Camille " plus a lot of lesser strength hurricanes . They were bad . However I am prepping for and expecting an apocalyptic event in the future that would make a major hurricane event pale in comparison . I agree for some running from their problem such as an epidemic may be the best plan for them . However as in case of an EMP attack running may not be an option with no electricity, fuel station will be down possibly motorized vehicles inoperable . It's actually a bit amusing when I see people that can't accept the fact that any country is vulnerable to a complete and total E>M>P. attack by a foreign advisory . Rather than prepare for such an event , they will become angry and declare it simply can not or will not happen . My earlier post may have been a bit over the top but my goal though improbable was to hopefully make someone take their prepping more seriously .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    That's more of a theory than a proven reality.
    No one really knows what the effects would be, and most like to assume the worst.
    I'm far more worried about hurricanes than any EMP threat.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  29. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Synper,

Appreciate your 2 comments. They make my case that we're using different definitions for the same words / terms / expressions.

I do not "define" a hurricane as (A) dangerous wind and (B) dangerous flooding. I add the changed environment: eg loss of "civilization" aspects such as no electricity, no medical care availability, no law enforcement. Driving through a road intersection in times with no electric traffic signal can approach being a volunteer at the Alamo in 1836. (I think it was 1836.)

Whether it's the Nile River of Pharaoh's administration or the Interstate Highway system of today, that "someone else" in south Florida during the hurricane received numerous mosquito bites - all transmitting the various diseases. Five days later this person is in this hurricane-safe area - along with the dangerous diseases routinely being transferred here by other mosquitoes.

"Certainty" is a fluid word. In many instances it just might not exist. In risk management such as used by the insurance industry, the gambles won't be dealt with unless forced upon them outside of the business arena. The traveler with Ebola is exactly what I'm really talking about. Who knows if the traveler carries Ebola germs ?! It might be Dengue Fever but confirmation cannot occur because there are no medical facilities available to determine this. The public broadcast announcements are like the old Civil Defense pamphlets.

Do recall that the Europeans use a different set of criteria than National Weather Service to define hurricane strengths. It's really a different concept.

30. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Paltiregist,
    No, your post wasn't "a bit over the top" with your clarification added to it. To use the slang "We're on the same page", we are on the same page.

I do agree with the EMP - and also much $$$ spent on the related GMD - Geomagnetic Disturbance - concerns you bring up. It's a big subject but not in public view. I know that Ft Knox, Kentucky......not the entire area as soldiers know the place but the critical areas......is now an "off-grid" facility. For certain emergencies, there are smaller "off-grid" facilities in Virginia. I can guess the Gulf Coast, especially around LOOP and the Strategic Petroleum Reserve (Mississippi was added some years ago) have "hardened" locations. Who know the quality ?! Aforesaid facilities are for officials and responders. The public isn't involved in COG - "Continuity of Government".

Even the public perception of an EMP attack closes the roads. The car crashes at the intersections cannot be cleared. The tow trucks and road repair vehicles can't access the problem areas - - - - - - because the roads are inaccessible. The additional bad news is that in the best of times, like today, the needed systems are weak and neglected.

GateCrasher and poltiregist like this.
  31. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    solar will work for short term events but wont last forever, my plans are geared towards long term events as are my comments.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  32. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    The definition of "Shot Term" and "Long Term" are vague and open to personal interpretation. To some "Short Term" maybe a few weeks s or a few months. To others it may mean a few decades. Long term could mean just a century or two. Solar could be defined as short term or long term, depending on your time sequence. To me,solar is only a short term solution because the system is not designed to last 50 years or more and cannot be repaired or duplicated with hand tools or 1800 fabrication techniques. Family size Wind turbines are long term pumping stations, they can be built or repaired with limited fabrication facilities.

33. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    100 years isn't "long term" enough for you? Nickle Iron batteries have been shown to last longer than that already. Use the power provided by solar recover the plans to build a wood gas generator. Between that in the NiFe batteries you should easily have power for 100 years.

34. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    If you can build a wind mill, you can build a generator. just add permanent magnets and copper wire. Your first build will be inefficient, but download the information now and scavenge the parts after the die off.

35. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    don't be fooled by the advertising anyone can claim something will last that long, dosent make it so.
    nope, sorry, i'll be too busy planting crops and looking after animals and doing all the 100and 1 things i'll need to do , technology is not my bag or my interest, I don't intend to waste time chasing after such things which probably wont work anyway without a manufacturing base to supply the spare parts.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. elkhound

elkhound Master Survivalist
      307/345

Blog Posts:
    your wasting your time. some have a very narrow mind and view of a shtf situation.they cant understand its not all going to be the same.like right now theres folks starving to death while some sit on yachts eating caviar.

they also cant understand because they lack experience in that all grid power is not connected. here in my area separate isolated systems were built piece milled...than connected later..often decades later to each other. my local town has its own power generating abilities and all it takes is to pull a fuse and its an isolated system providing power to only the tiny town. we have multiple power stations here too.

my family didnt have 'grid' power till between 63-66. but before that there was a windmill 12volt system in place..it was an isolated system that worked decades.

people that holler no tech i hope they tear down their modern houses with modern tech roofing be it shingles or metal.i expect them to live in a debris hut...and i better not catch them packing water in modern tech plastic buckets....lol

people think they are going to pack water to water a garden and crops..bullshit..it cant be done.i recently tried packing water to see what was applicable. you better have best system you can to take work out of some things says i. heres a rule of thumb for yall.a garden needs..per ag universities studies..a gallon per square foot per week to make. i say its more from my experience. i have a new garden area.its 7500 square feet.theres no way i can carry that much water in a day much less in a week.thats 750 trips up a steep bank through the woods not to mention troubles filling said buckets as water level gets low and back up farther and farther away up stream as it drys up.after my testing i have decided i will be getting drip irrigation for that garden to save time and water by just watering in the planted rows.

its like fuels they say wont work.i have a friend who just opened a drum of gasoline..non ethanol..treated with 4ounces of pri-g...it was filled aug 2013 and its still fine and hes using it in his engines.i myself an going into the 19 month of using a test jug of non ethanol untreated gasoline on small engines.its still running fine.

i am not so narrow minded to think everything is going to work and be perfect but when theres multiple systems in place you stand a better chance at a high level of efficiency and not just being a caveman.people will push forward to have a better life and not sit idly by.

37. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    you can still find the old wincharger systems/parts...wincharger no d.

38. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
  39. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
  40. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning all,

Not directly related to above but believe needed for a realistic focus, ......

Subject: short term / long term

That folding knife / multi tool is super compared to the older times. Now, "long term" also involves the human bod. Look up the word "arthritis". Like the Lone Ranger and Tonto....."Return with us now to..." The sheath knife does wonders for the arthritic. Stockpile like the inventory for hammers. Vacate premises with most appropriate if and when evacuating.

Long term food supply; Do note that the human bod deteriorates as part of the aging process. Some foods just might not work for their intended purpose long term. I am personally familiar and recommend to factor diet into planning involving long term matters.

Read a gyro or magnetic compass at night. Add "eyes" to part of long term planning. (Don't forget extra sun glasses and safety glasses. A face shield on hard hat does wonders to defeat forgetfulness. Besides forgetfulness as a common human trait, some research tells of it being an indicator of early onset of the dementia ailments eg Alzheimer s.

The above pictured slip-joint pliers are not a concern. Test your other smaller tools - wearing gloves....at least for long-term preparedness.

Opening the traditional sardine can and new-fangled beer can (a few of us remember the old but critical "church key") become a project involving a flat tip screw driver.

Do these evaluations now, well prior to the visitors needing some of your inventories. Commotion will become even worse. It gets busy during emergency operations.

End of transmission by smoke signal.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  41. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    There are millions of "generators" just sitting in cars.
    All one needs to do is figure a way to spin them fast enough.

Too many assume we would immediately revert to the stone age if the grid went down, but we'd still have most of the hardware and knowledge as well as the tools to start rebuilding.

42. paul m

paul m Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    There is no reason for us to revert to the stone age,in the event of SHTF ( whatever that may be). Even without power and internet, we still have books.why deny ourselves technology and modern knowledge? I have solar charging,and that means batteries will charge and we can have light and communication. As Pragmatist said,that multitool is the business. When society fails,does that mean you throw that tool away and use knapped flint? Of course not! My Swiss Army knives and Leathermans will pass to my great grandchildren,and those tools are the result of Modern Technology.

43. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Logistics = Time, skill, location, knowledge, resources and luck. These will determine what part of the life style time line you will have available to you. Yes many if not most auto's will have a generator that can produce power BUT how many have the skill and tools to first identify which part is the generator. Then have the tools needed to remove the generator. Next comes the ability to fabricate a power generator power station? Solar panel, one and done, they will not be repaired or replaced without modern manufacturing. Even if the batteries lasted 100 years, I doubt the panels will. Fuel, yes bio-diesel can be fabricated with less sophisticated technology but again the logistics come into play. There will be the survival stage and that will be the a huge factor in the time line of recovery. If the die off is anywhere near the 85% to 95 % projections, then the recovery phase will be the mountain man life style. Eventually the community phase will take hold and the technology that we already know and understand will start to rebound. The important factor is how do you survive during these different phases.

Stock lots of supplies, as much as you can.

Sonofliberty and lonewolf like this.
  44. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Generators are great to keep your freezer and fridge going after a storm causes a loss of power for a short period of time. Where I love short term means up to 2 months. It is also dependent on whether the problem is fairly localized versus a nation or worldwide disaster. after a couple of weeks, people were having to drive 50 to 75 miles to buy fuel for their generators. If the problem was more widespread the problem becomes exponentially worse.

In the case of an end of the world level disaster that isn't going to be better for many years at least maybe decades a lot of things will change. I don't want to be the only person around with a generator running and lights on! That would be like walking through a gang-infested ghetto with hundred dollar bills sticking out of all your pockets.

I am not going back to the stone age but could easily live much as people in rural areas did before WW1. My family's farm didn't get electricity until after WW2. Personally, I don't NEED anything that is dependent on electricity. I LIKE my TV, Computer, Laptops, and tablets. I could happily live without my smartphone! the rest is nice but not necessary. I have paper books and could live well cooking with fire, heating with fire, gardening, hunting and fishing for my food. I have a pressure cooker for canning and know how to store and cure meats.

If you put all of your energies into trying to maintain a modern electrically powered lifestyle you will be doomed to failure eventually. Even if you have enough fuel to run a generator for a year I am not sure that you can keep this hidden for that long unless you live someplace where people can only barely survive without that sort of support.

By just preparing from the start to go low key and into a more primitive lifestyle I will have a lot less to adapt to. I would have been more comfortable in that sort of lifestyle for most of my life. I like the old ways and miss them terribly.

45. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there is this philosophy which reads "use what technology is available but use it to get to a later point where you can function without it when it no longer works".
    most people even preppers seem to have the idea that life just isn't practical without some form of electricity, people just have to realise that life IS possible without electricity its just a different lifestyle is all. I know because I have lived that life, 12 years living off the land with no electricity all that time, and did I suffer, no-it was the best part of my life I enjoyed it thoroughly, and I would still be there but the circumstances didn't permit it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  46. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Back in the "olden days" when I was young people had friends and they would get together often and just talk and "visit". these were people that you truly got to know. Your kids played together and the wives did things together. the men hunted and fished and there was a family feel that you could feel. You knew that if you had a problem that these people would be there for you.

Back then people had a lot more kids. The Mom'sstayed and made the house into a home and raised the kids. LOL, whenever a woman got ready to have another baby they would send their kids to the neighbor's house to stay until the Mom was up and about again. The ladies also made sure that her husband was fed and had clean clothes. We also had a church family that was close and we saw them a lot more often than just on Sundays.

TV wasn't a big thing. we only had two channels and besides, during the summer it was hot in the house so we spent most of the evenings outside. Telephones were not a big deal you could spend a lot of money fast if you stayed on the telephone for long.

Back then friends were real people that you knew and saw regularly and not just people that "friended" you on facebook. Now people sit at home isolated and mostly alone. the kids are not allowed to go out and play. For one thing, most of them are warehoused in daycare and besides that, they don't know the people that live around them so they play "games" on their machines. This coming generation will have no idea about how to have relations with other people.

Most kids don't even really know their family. Grandparents, Aunts Uncles, and Cousins are just people that you may see a couple of times a year. Mom and Dad are the people that pick you up from daycare and then a school for 18 years and then become just people in the distance.

I look at what all our power and powered things do for us and instead see all the things that we don't do now. Do we own our machines??? Or do our machines own the US???

I watch kids these days and I watch their parents. Both parents work and don't have much time for messing with the kids. The kids don't seem to care. They sit with a phone of a game device in their hands and ignore their parents and siblings. What are the parents working for? What is it costing them? What have we given up in order to have all of our devices and power?

47. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    The wife and I both need power to live. I have 2 generators, a battery system 16 X 6V batteries, and I'm working on a solar collector.

I have lived off grid and I'm totally comfortable in that lifestyle. I can't survive it with my health today.

elkhound and TMT Tactical like this.
  48. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm very much a "neo-luddite" if you know that term. I don't have much inclination towards technology, in fact I think it has contributed to the ills we now see in society, the anti social, the yobbishness and the crime .
    I have an old laptop I am typing this on and a very old NON smart mobile phone.
    I drive a 15 year old 1200cc Vauxhall multi purpose vehicle.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.