Do You Talk To Your Kids About Surviving

Discussion in 'Ladies Section' started by SouthernMama, Jul 18, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. SouthernMama

SouthernMama Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    Do you talk to your kids about surviving when the SHTF? Will they be prepared too? I have talked to friends who have younger children and they say they don't want to scare them. I think it's important for them to know ahead of time what can happen so they can at least be halfway prepared.

Belle, Radar and Morgan101 like this.
  2. Jewelweed

Jewelweed Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I've discussed likely natural disaster scenarios with my kids, though keep in mind that our youngest only has a year of elementary school left. Some of it they just know by osmosis. For instance, we're in Florida so they hear about hurricanes and nearby tornadoes a lot. We talk about our plans for if our area is hit so they know that there is a plan and can help with their part of it.

We talk about things that are must-have for them emotionally and that led to preps for bugging out that I didn't expect to need. Our youngest is on the mild end of the autism spectrum and interrupting his routine can be a serious issue so we practice alternate routines that are similar but could be adapted to a bug-in or bug-out situation. We also take them tent-camping to get them used to being away from electronics for periods of time.

What we don't talk about, because kids talk to each other and that could be a danger, is the exact amount of preps that we have. When talking about if the electric goes out, we remind them of the solar panels and the generator. If our kids worry about whether there will be enough food, we assure them that pretty much everyone in our area knows we could be stuck due to a hurricane and has enough for a few extra days. Then I point to the garden and the chickens and we talk about how we have our own food in progress without going to the grocery store. We don't talk about extra ammo or about long-term preps (like heirloom seeds). More about practical details.

Belle and Radar like this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Nope..............no kids!!!:p

Radar likes this.
  4. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    I do believe in complete and open discussions with children...of coarse by age appropriate. I am raising my 7 & 1/2 year old grandson. He is told everything I can think to tell him. I expect him to know what to do in an emergency and be able to do his part. I discuss what could happen in any emergency, how we are prepared for said emergency, what to expect, and what his roll is if that event occurs. I feel that they will be much more afraid if something major happens and they are in the middle of total chaos. I have toughened him up ahead, and he has his part to do in each possible event that could happen. Again, this is my opinion and will not work for every child. Parents or guardians must make their own decision, based on their children.

5. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    My children are adults, so everything can be discussed openly. My son lives with us, and he is pretty much on board with everything. He has his own BOB, and knows what he needs to take with him should the situation arise. He also knows where things are stored should he have to evacuate when I am not there.

My daughter is a distance away. I would prefer she take it more seriously, and not just Dad's hobby. I have tried to discuss plans, and meeting areas, but she is to wrapped up in her own life to care.

I think it is a good idea to discuss prepping with your children. They are going to see natural disasters on TV and hear about them at school. Heaven knows what they hear and see on Social media if the are old enough. They don't have to have all of the details, but knowing that you plan for those emergencies I would think would be comforting to them.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Getting through the day is survival enough for now. All are armed with something...knives, pepper spray, tasers, or guns. I didn't realize.
    As for prepping, a couple of them are working on it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    Both of my kids are adults. One lives near Phoenix, the other near Seattle. Both are armed, have been hiking and camping , and are pretty knowledgeable about national and world affairs, and can (hopefully) see things coming. The youngest may be relocating to the Canadian border (Bellingham area) with her new job as a bank manager; the oldest is a school teacher and has considered moving out of the Phoenix area; maybe to Idaho (we can only hope)!

TMT Tactical, Radar and Morgan101 like this.
  8. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes, yes, yes !

I always discuss matters of prepping.

My kids' place has more fire extinguishers than Carter's got .......... dictators teaching at his Sunday School (General Raoul Cadras was a dictator and not a sage). My reminder: good socks next to boots in case dragon comes roaring into town and must GOOD.

I have 2 birthday gifts due my 2 very young grandchildren. My arrangements are for gift selection by all of us at Cabela's, Gainesville, Northern Virginia Autonomous Oblast.

The family that prepares together is prepared.

TMT Tactical, Radar and Morgan101 like this.
  9. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    12313696_990473424306697_4406655754603520894_n.jpg My kids are both adults now but they were raised and taught survival skills without ever calling them survival skills. Both girls are excellent shots, have compass skills, have GHB's in their vehicles and are always situationally aware. Make it fun and a part of life and they learn it. My oldest is a Aerospace engineer and lives in FL and the youngest just graduated with her degree in Biomedical Engineering and may be starting work soon (fingers crossed). Life is good. Pic of youngest shooting a MP5.

Dale

10. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    My kids and grandkids are of the old school type , living close to the land . We don't dread any kind of disaster and would look forward to most situations most folks would call "apocalyptic " . We simply are prepared . A population reset would be fine with us . I am raising my thirteen year old grandson . Every time the electrical power fails he "HOPEFULLY " asks , do you reckon it is an E.M.P. . I have three more grandkids that live in another house with a well worn path through the woods that connect our two houses . They would be delighted to see a apocalyptic event occur with a vast population loss . They know Grandpa has it covered .

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Belle

Belle New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:

12. Belle

Belle New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Coffee I agree. My children were taught what to do and what could happen as they aged. My youngest grand is 11 and she has been helping me for 5 years. The more she learns the more she gains self-confidence.

TMT Tactical likes this.