Don't Neglect Security In Prep

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Aug 19, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    link blocked for security reasons.

3. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Opened OK for me.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    probably because I don't live in America.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    For those in countries that are censoring American news media, the headline for the Miami, Florida news article reads,

Thieves wipe out warehouse full of disaster assistance supplies

Excerpt:

“We lost a pretty significant amount of stuff — power tools, all of our chainsaws, and an awful lot of the hand tools we used to clean houses out and take out the sheetrock and flooring. They even took 11 or 12 cases (four to a case) of brand new flashlights, fairly expensive ones.”

The article went on to say that many other items were stolen, including Gatorade (oral rehydration drink), plastic bags, snacks, boxes of food and cases of personal hygiene supplies.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  6. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like an inside job to me, they knew what equipment was there and what they wanted (and what they didn't). Also likely knew that the warehouse didn't have cameras or a burglar alarm installed. This is going to be an even bigger problem when the power and or the telecommunications grids goes down, criminals will know most of the burglar/nanny/doorbell cams and burglar alarm systems won't be working.

Mentioned this before, but we have a small amount of acreage and a couple residences and outbuildings not visible from the main house so we use the MURS Dakota Alert motion sensors to help keep an eye on things for us. AA battery (alkaline or rechargeable) powered so easy to keep running when the grid is down, and many ways to customize them if desired. I have 5 deployed currently, 2 watching the gates to our main house to let us know when visitors arrive and 3 inside the buildings that we can't see (or hear) from the house that act as intrusion detectors. Two radios are left on 24/7 to monitor for alerts, one inside our home and another that can be heard if we're outside in the yard. Each vehicle has a radio that will receive the alerts too, up to about 3/4 of a mile away, and we turn them on religiously when in the vehicles. A couple HT radios are left in chargers near the door to be easily grabbed on the way out of the house when needed. We grew the system slowly over time so it wasn't a huge expense all at once, and now that we have them not sure how we got along without them before. Highly recommended both for perimeter security and as an alternate means of communication over a relatively small area. As a side note, both our dogs know the alert message on the radio means there is someone/something at the gate, so if outside they run to investigate and bark if inside. Our one dog even knows the difference in the sound of the alert messages for the two gate alarms and will run to the correct gate immediately when either goes off.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  7. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree with GateCrasher. I does sound like an inside job. They knew exactly where everything was, and exactly what they wanted. You have to be a really special low life POS to steal items used to help people in emergencies. That is as bad as stealing from a Church. I could only hope that if there is a merciful God those people will get hit by a disaster, and the relief efforts won't be available because they don't have the supplies.

Point taken. I believe all of my preps are secure.

TMT Tactical likes this.