Drumsticks (moringa)

Discussion in 'Herbalism - Medicinal, Practical, and other Uses' started by iamawriter, May 29, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. iamawriter

iamawriter Well-Known Member
      88/115

Blog Posts:
    Drumsticks when they are tender are tasty and make for a great vegetable. It is cooked in several different ways. The tender leaves of drumsticks are cooked as well which have great health properties. The flowers of the drumstick tree are also cooked and here again they are filled with nutrition.

The pods, the leaves and the flowers have nutrients that include rich content of vitamin C. Diabetics will do well if they add this in their diet.

Here is a link that tells you more:
    http://www.healthandbloom.com/9-Health-Benefits-of-DRUMSTICK.php

Attached Files:

2. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    In our neighborhood, we use this a lot to treat cut wounds or bleeding wounds. The leaves and it's nectar helps a lot in treating basic or minor cuts and wounds. No infection as well.

iamawriter likes this.
  3. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    I did not know the use of this for wounds. But they have great health properties. Apart from health properties several tasty dishes can be made from them.

4. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Moringa it's amazing, I don't know if it's the same for you but here we call it "the miracle tree". Besides some stuff related to personal health like taking care of your skin and treat acne, it can also protect the immune system, promote good circulation and healthy digestion, balance metabolism. It's also a big sleeping aid.
    It's also an aphrodisiac, but this characteristic doesn't belong here...

iamawriter likes this.
  5. iamawriter

88/115

Blog Posts:
    I am learning new things about this tree. I should have given more attention to it. Actually I had to cut it down as its roots were spreading. But I have another one and I will surely pay more attention to it now

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    We have lots of moringa in our extended garden. The leaves are used as ingredient in soup dishes. Our neighbors get the leaves regularly. We also eat the fruits as a vegetable dish especially during summer. I didn't know that the fruit is called drumstick. Moringa is a nutritious vegetable that some bakeshops sell moringa bread.

7. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Roots... I think they are the only bad part of this plant. Maybe not really bad, just not good... People suggest against consuming too much roots, since they contains a thing called spirochin, a toxic alkaloid that could interfere with your nervous system. You can still eat them, they are a bit spicy (similar to radish) but don't eat too much of them.

8. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    It sure is a wonderful tree. Seems like it's one of the best if not medicinal, but also as a food tree combined!
    Up until now we still use it's leaves for dishes.

9. Whisper

Whisper Well-Known Member
      70/58

Blog Posts:
    I have recently planted 7 moringa trees. They are doing great here in the Alabama heat. I started the seeds in damp paper towels inside a plastic sealed container. Then transplanted to deep narrow pots. Then transplanted inground. At first I thought they were all going to die when put into the ground but within 2 days all were showing new leaf growth on their tops and have been thriving since. They are about 2 feet tall. My plan is to harvest and make powder from the leaves first. My idea is that if you have moringa trees you should not starve, so they are just another bit of insurance in case.

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.