Duhhhhhh!!! I Be Smart!!!!!!

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by watcherchris, Jan 7, 2024.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I had to laugh at this one...

No problem...as I seldom drink sodas et al...

Iced Tea....lemonade or water is about it for me. Coffee in the morning.

Nonetheless....one has to become educated to become this stupid........again...talk about killing the goose laying the egg..

Ishmaelites putting people into economic involuntary servitude by limiting people's economic choices....ie...liberties and freedoms in an economy.

Soda taxes made sugary drink prices rise and sales fall in cities that tried them, study finds (msn.com)Soda taxes made sugary drink prices rise and sales fall in cities that tried them, study finds (msn.com)Soda taxes made sugary drink prices rise and sales fall in cities that tried them, study finds (msn.com)

Duh.....I be smart!!!! I be an Ishmaelite!!!!

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Be Warned these Ishmaelites.......they be smart!!!!

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Well, actually. I think it's a good idea. Western countries have the most atrocious diets consisting mainly of processed food and high amounts of sugar. Obesity is now the norm, leading to such diseases as diabetes, heart attacks, etc. A poor diet affects the body in so many ways, especially in children.

They were talking about putting a tax on such foods in Aus but nothing has come of it as yet. Doesn't bother me, as I don't eat the crap anyway. The alarming thing is children being raised on such rubbish, mainly because their parents are too lazy to make proper meals and put the brakes on the amount of rubbish their kids are allowed to eat.

I remember back in my day at the tuck shop at school, we could buy all manner of "bad" food - my favourite was a sticky cream bun. I used to have them for recess. They were to die for! The difference in my day was that it was balanced out because at home we'd have decent, homecooked meals and plenty of fruit, not junk. I was dismayed some years ago when they overhauled the regulations, as to what food and drinks were allowed in tuck shops. No more unhealthy crap. But overall because of the way kids are now brought up, i.e. they live off unhealthy, high sugar and high carb processed food, I think it's a good move.

The hope was that if it was taxed, the prices would obviously be higher and hopefully less families would include them in their children's diets. And the taxes going into the government's coffers is a good thing. It ends up going towards health care, for example. I don't mind paying taxes. It's the reason we have a great police force, good affordable healthcare and decent roads, as examples.

TMT Tactical and watcherchris like this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    when I was growing up the only take away was fish and chips which we had occasionally but not regularly, oh and of course in the South West pasties were a favourite but money was tight so these things were a treat not a daily occurence, step grandson lives on Pizza on a daily basis and many people live on ready meals, my mother was a good cook and everything was cooked from scratch.
    the UK has an Obesity crisis at least half of the population is obese, real figures are probably more like two thirds and diabetes in rife.

TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Yep. Unfortunately very true.

Oh, I do miss a good pastie. I tried to make some but they just weren't the same. The proper ones where you have half with potato and peas and the other half with meat, or whatever. Good they were good. And what a brilliant idea, whoever originally thought of having separate parts for veggie and meat.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think the original ones were meat on one side and savoury on the other, the ones here are meat, potato, carrots and swede. the crimp was to hold it by if you had dirty hands (mining or farming) then throw away after eating the rest.

7. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Very interesting article on Cornish Pasties:

https://www.propercornish.co.uk/his...1700s,vegetables, and occasionally some cheap

"It was in the 1700s & 1800s that pasties became popular with working class families in Cornwall but they no longer contained the rich and decadent fillings of the 13th century, instead, they consisted of a simple short crust pastry case with potato, swede and onion, all common vegetables, and occasionally some cheap pieces of meat if available. This is how the humble pasty was born."

Makes me want to have another crack and making some.

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    "oggi, oggi, oggi" isnt confined to the Cornish it is also a standard chant in Devon.
    I think skirt(meat) was used in some pasties, Ivor Dewdney's pasty shop was a regular haunt if you lived in Plymouth. other pasties are available.
    When I lived in Cornwall for a couple of years we used to buy pasties by the box full from a well known Master Baker.

9. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    I am so jealous right now! I'm going to make some from that page. Can't wait! Yum!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I prefer brewed iced tea, but instant tea is OK; also, that powdered tea lasts a long time when in sealed glass jars. Manufacturers vacuum-pack these.

I don't know about the rest of America, but jerky is sold at most food checkout counters. It's a treat around here. Southerners put a lot of salt in their food. People here love jerky and take it with them when hunting. About a month ago, I was at a store and two guys in camouflage were checking out just in front of me. They were buying over a half dozen bottles of teriyaki sauce or soy sauce ... maybe both. So, I ask them, "Y'all making jerky?!" Almost in unison they said, "Deer jerky!" We all smiled real big.
    -------------------

11. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:

I'm not a fan of iced tea. I'm extremely fussy about my brew. It's my favourite drink. It has to be hot, with full cream milk. It's an art getting the right ratio of tea and milk. Very few people can make a decent cuppa. When I visit friends, I make my own tea first, and bring it with me. When out, if I order tea, I have to ask for 2 teabags or double tea leaves. At home, I will only use Yorkshire Tea, which comes from the UK. It's pretty expensive, but the taste is so much better than anything else (I've tried them all) plus it's stronger. I can't stand insipid cat piss tea.

I can't always get it where I am though. So when it's in the shop, I end up buying 4 packets. (At $5.20 each, compared to around $2.50 for other equivalent tea).

Being from South Africa originally, my parents always made biltong. It's a type of jerky I guess. It's to die for. We used to make it as kids, and hang it from the Hills Hoist. The Kookaburras used to love it! Bloody things.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    If visiting America and you ask for tea, you'll most likely get iced tea.

If you are visiting the southeastern part of the U.S. and ask for tea, you'll get iced tea and it will be so laden with sugar that it will hurt your teeth. If you are diabetic and take one sip, you'll have to give yourself an insulin shot.

13. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Hahahaha! That's hysterical. So well put!

Well, needless to say, I wouldn't be buying iced tea. Can't for the life of me see what people like about it.

I stopped having sugar in my tea a few weeks ago actually. It takes some getting used to. Being a tea addict, the sugar mounts up so I thought I'd cut back on it. A bit here and there is okay but when you drink 10 or so cups a day, it's not a good thing to put that much sugar in your system.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I drink instant coffee, also drinking chocolate, but mostly I drink diluted Apple Juice.
    we gave up sugar in hot drinks and on cereal 25 years ago.

Blitz and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Geez, I admire people who effortlessly give up sugar in tea/coffee etc and on cereal. Just about everyone I know doesn't have sugar in their drinks. Wish I found it that easy!

I used to do a lot of traditional English baking (like Bakewell tarts, oh my God, I love them to death!) for my late husband, as he loved English fare. I rarely bake now though, only if I'm visiting neighbours or wotnot. But rarely for myself. I do wish I wouldn't talk about English cooking. Now I'm desperate for a Bakewell tart. Hahahaha!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    You got me remembering ...Blitz...On occasion I love me a Chocolate Eclair..coffee or hot tea.

The Force...becomes weak.....The Force is not with me!!!!!!

Most of the grocery stores around here do not carry them.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

17. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Hmmmmmmmm...Lonewolf.....

As part of my prep plans...I have two jars of instant coffee at work and a container of Vanilla Caramel creamer....sugar too and in my locker...stowed away for emergencies.. I do not like instant coffee but it is one thing..Instant...

Mostly I drink water at work....but should we survive SHTF....a hot cup of coffee would be nice....

I prefer a fresh brewed pot..but we cannot always have such a luxury ...particularly should SHTF or TEOTWAKI...and I planned accordingly. Like an occasional hot tea as well...particularly in winter....hot chocolate too.

Only of recent did I learn that the Lipton Company makes green tea in tea bags. Thinking about getting two boxes of it. Don't know for sure ..but I'd expect tea bags to have a good shelf life..

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

18. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Oh...Boy....lights are flickering here...power may go out in the high winds....fingers crossed.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical and Old Geezer like this.
  19. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have no problem with using saccharine. I don't mind its aftertaste. Saccharine has been around forever President Teddy Roosevelt got angry at some fellow who, even back then, was trying to get it banned. Teddy loved sweetening his drinks with it. It's made out of coal tar, but in small quantities is of no harm.

Decades back, a physician was talking to be about the studies that showed that rats got bladder tumors when forced to ingest saccharine. Smiling almost laughing, he told me to not ingest more than 50 packets of saccharine a day! That's the human equivalent that was forced on the rats to induce tumors.

Broccoli contains natural carcinogens. The valuable nutrients in broccoli far outweigh the carcinogenic risk; in humans, these nutrients even go towards preventing cancers. Everything in this world is a mixed bag of good and evil. There are very few yes/no answers. Don't step out in front of a speeding bus unless you wish to commit suicide. Now there is an absolute.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Oh, the government shouldn't attempt to prevent people from stepping in front of busses nor jumping off cliffs. The government isn't our nanny. If you wish to be perpetually protected from the vicissitudes of this world by your government, then you are a child. You'll never be an adult and you deserve your enslavement.

Old Geezer, Jan 9, 2024
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Sweetners have been proved to have detrimental effects on the human body, we tried them for awhile when we gave up sugar in coffee but decided to do without, good choice given the bad reports since.
    I have drunk instant coffee all my life, drank Chicory as a substitute when funds were low.
    Brocolli is a good vegetable as is Cauliflower which we consume regularly.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    The green tea isn't bad, actually. I've tried the Lipton brand myself, as something different now and again.

You are quite right having coffee, etc for your planning. It can be a little luxury and a morale boost. Mental health is just as important as physical in a belly up scenario.

My husband was a massive coffee drinker. He bought a machine thingy that you put the ground coffee in and heat it on the stovetop. It pressurises or something or other. Makes great, proper coffee. Do you think I can find it? No. No I can't. I have no idea what happened to it. Very annoying as I do enjoy one cup of coffee first thing in the morning, before I switch to tea.

He also purchased one of those you beaut coffee machines before he died, so he could enjoy proper espresso and cap coffee. I flogged it though, as didn't have room for it when I moved and it was wasted on me. The stovetop one would have sufficed. If only I could find it!

I love hot chocolate! Proper, Dutch chocolate is to die for. A good nip of dark rum in it before bed goes a treat. Another excellent morale booster!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    There is some minor linkage between coffee intake and pancreatic cancer. My mom was a coffee-holic and guess what she died of.

Artificial sweeteners such as aspartame can cause problems.

I could write a master's thesis on aspartame. And yes, this wouldn't be my first master's thesis.

Begin quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylalanine

Begin quote

Phenylalanine (symbol Phe or F)[3] is an essential α-amino acid with the formula C
    9H
    11NO
    2. It can be viewed as a benzyl group substituted for the methyl group of alanine, or a phenyl group in place of a terminal hydrogen of alanine. This essential amino acid is classified as neutral, and nonpolar because of the inert and hydrophobic nature of the benzyl side chain. The L-isomer is used to biochemically form proteins coded for by DNA. Phenylalanine is a precursor for tyrosine, the monoamine neurotransmitters dopamine, norepinephrine (noradrenaline), and epinephrine (adrenaline), and the biological pigment melanin. It is encoded by the codons UUU and UUC.

End quote

When aspartame was first introduced, many developmental centers (I've done clinical practicum in these institutions) thought that it would be some sort of panacea (why, I really don't know). Oops ... the number of seizures among this patient group doubled. And it just wasn't among the PKU patients (phenylketonuria).

Soon, aspartame was banned from use in such institutions and outpatient centers. I remember. If I use it, then there is a 50/50 chance that I will get a headache -- thus, I use it not. Don't mess with your amino acid intake. Imbalance = bad. Mother Nature knows best.

23. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    I know. It's hysterical, really. I say that because I know some friends who ONLY use it in their tea, coffee, etc, because sugar can cause diabetes if you consume too much of it, or they want to lose weight. Yet they will scoff down shop bought, processed doughnuts, biscuits, cakes, etc. There was another product, "Stavia, Stivia" I can't remember what it's called. From memory it is plant based and I know absolutely diddly squat about the health implications. I do know it's really, really, expensive though. I saw some in the sugar isle and nearly had a coronary myself when I saw the price for a tiny container more suited to bi-carb than sugar (substitute).

Same when margarine hit the market. It was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread. Oh please, give me a break!

Then all the ridiculous milk products that came out. "Oh no, you can't drink cow's milk, it will give you a heart attack. Drink almond milk instead". God help me. I read something a couple of weeks about almond or oat milk or some "pretend" milk.

I'll see if I can find the article.

Found this, though it's not the article I read:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien...substitute,vitamins, and oral health problems.

" ... oilseed and nut milk substitutes–almond (Prunus dulcis), cashew (Anacardium occidentale), coconut (Cocos nucifera), hazelnut (Corylus), peanut (Arachis hypogaea), sesame (Sesamum indicum), soy (Glycine max), tiger nut (Cyperus esculentus), oat (Avena sativa), rice (Oryza sativa), hemp (Cannabis sativa), and walnut (Juglans)–are preferred by vegans and people who suffer from an allergy to cow’s milk. The health effects of plant-based milk substitutes have been studied in terms of both positive and negative effects. Plant-based milk substitutes have positive effects because of rich antioxidant activity and fatty acid which reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases, cancer, atherosclerosis, and diabetes (Zujko & Witkowska, 2014). However, plant-based milk substitute products also have various negative health effects including lack of protein content, low bioavailability of minerals and vitamins, and oral health problems. One problem, the low bioavailability of vitamins and minerals because of some anti-nutrients and polyphenols, can be overcome by fermentation (Dubey and Patel, 2018, Rekha and Vijayalakshmi, 2010, Rosado et al., 2005). Another problem, the adverse effect on oral health, is because of the added sugar used to sweeten the plant-based milk substitutes thereby increasing consumer acceptance. The WHO (2016) pointed to the consuming added sugar as one of the aetiologic causes for tooth decay in that sugar intake has a post-eruptive impact on dental caries. One of the WHO (2016) suggestions for promoting the formulation of regional policies and national recommendations to lessen the burden of chronic illnesses relevant to nutrition included a recommendation that free (added) sugar consumption should stay below 10% of calorie intake and the consumption of foods/drinks that include free sugars should be limited to four times a day."

I don't know how long humans have been drinking cow's (or goat's) milk, cream and butter for but it's evidently a "killer". Yes, I'm being dramatic. It's something that gets right up jumper.

Anyway, you get the picture.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we cut out all the biscuits and cookies and chocolates , it was creeping in and getting to be a habit not a treat and our weight was going up, since we did that I have lost 7lbs and gone down one trouser size, so I had to buy some new trousers, yippee!!
    just had my annual dental check and everything is fine there.
    we have annual health checks and have blood tests for diabetes, liver function and cholesterol and every year the checks come back as okay so we must be doing something right.

25. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    That's good to hear lonewolf. I'm the same pretty much. Unfortunately, the older I get, the more weight I put on. Hence one of the reasons to give up the sugar in tea. I rarely eat junk food, though will sometimes buy something nice. Yesterday I bought a bag of salted caramel popcorn. It was divine! I reckon if you have stuff like that all the time, you'd become used to it and you wouldn't enjoy it as much.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    well we reckon with the biscuits/cookies etc. if we havent got them we cant eat them.
    take aways dont exist out here apart from the local fish and chip shop and frankly what they produce isnt fit to eat, and no take away delivers this far out.

27. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    That's a shame. The UK has some brilliant fish and chip shops. They do chips different than in Aus. Mmmmmm ... chip buttie! I'm drooling just thinking about them. There sure as hell's fire won't have any more when things go belly up!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there is a decent chip shop 9 miles away in another small town, that one has won awards but I havent been there since before Covid and the prices have gone up a lot.

29. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I'll bet the prices have gone up. They have skyrocketed here. A lot of cafes and restaurants ended up going bust because of COVID.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  30. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes that happened over here too, most high streets are full of empty shops.

31. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    How did pubs fare? I remember in 2012 there were an awful lot boarded up. Literally. Did many close during COVID?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  32. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    a lot closed, I'm not sure of the numbers and others opened on fewer days.
    the problem here is finding accommodation for new staff if they dont already live in the area.