Eating Snow

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by Blitz, Nov 14, 2023.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm currently up to "water" in a folder with military dos and don't on survival. I always wondered if you could eat snow or rather, why you shouldn't.

"Water Procurement: Do not drink urine, fish juices, blood, sea water, alcohol, melted water from sea ice.
    Water sources: surface water, precipitation, subsurface, ground water, abundance of lush green vegetation, drainages and low-lying areas, V intersecting game trails often point to water, presence of swarming insects, bird flight in the early morning or late afternoon, snow or ice - do not eat ice or snow.

Why can't you drink fish juices?

For those as clueless as myself:

https://www.sunnysports.com/blog/outdoor-myths-eating-snow-dehydration/

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    you shouldnt EAT snow you should MELT it over a flame.

TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    I didn't know the negatives of eating the actual snow, as opposed to melting it first, so I've learnt something today. Doubt I will ever be in a situation where it may be relevant, but at least I've got that small piece of info to keep in the back of my brain.

4. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    dosent apply where I live we dont get snow, plenty of rain though!!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I'll bet you get a lot of rain there.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes we do especially at the moment, I'm looking for a couple more water butts to increase capacity.
    water isnt really a problem in this part of the country.

7. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Lonewolf s spot on re not eating snow. Firstly it requires energy to consume it as it saps heat which, bizarrely further dehydrates, you plus whatever airborne nasties in it are still there and as Lonewolf says melt it and a rolling boil for purification if at all possible.