Farm Labor Flying To Uk For Harvesting

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Apr 15, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Not sure this is a good idea, (1) There are plenty of unemployed in the U.K. that could be employed to harvest the food. (2) I don't think bringing in foreign labor is a good idea due to health concerns, what are the medical screening procedure? (3) The U.K. needs to fix their harvesting problem, without relying on foreign works, same as the U.S.A. needs to solve this problem.

Old Geezer likes this.
  3. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    The problem is whether or not those UK unemployment know HOW to farming. For example I've also unemployment and not to mention living in poverty, and underprivileged, and yet I don't have the slightest clue of how to do gardening let alone farming. My usual practice of planting anything is to throw the seed in general direction where I intend the plant to grow and asking a blessing from the goddess of fertility (work just fine most of the time)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    there has been a huge amount of British people volunteering to help on farms following being laid off from their normal employment during the crisis, quite surprising as most people don't want to get their hands dirty, but we live in strange times.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Governments can train the people to harvest food or it can build the machines needed to harvest food. What they cannot or at least should not do is rely on foreign people to come harvest the food. Governments can subsidize the local manufacture of food harvesting machines, so that even small family farms can form co-0ps groups and not need to depend on farm hands.When the majority of the people move away from farming, then the machines need to come and fill the labor gap.

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that's the problem with modern farming especially here it depends on large machines and imported fertilisers and pesticides, farm wages are very low for a manual worker but some crops cannot be harvested by machine but need humans to cut and process the harvest by hand, usually fruit and vegetables.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If someone knows the process by which they can cash a government check, then they can be taught how to pick fruits and vegetables.

We are talking about people who DO NOT WISH TO WORK. No work, no check.

In America, people die of laziness. They get no exercise, grow fat, get diabetes, next it's heart disease, then they die long before their time. Hospital groups, states, and the federal government pay for their protracted shuffle to the grave.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Training people for seasonal job is grossly expensive compare to the alternative. If I were the policy maker I would also prefer to outsource the job and be done with it.

Despite my preference to using automation, agriculture is one of the job that I strongly believe will still require significant human presence even all the way into the next century. Using present days and near future technology I strongly doubt there is an automation solution for farming rice in these kind of terrain ;

057dca14c5cac07c8404d3a814fa77cd.jpeg

or plucking tea leaves ;

Only IF the cultivation is viable to be automated using the available technology.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there are 30,000 British people who have signed up to the new "land army", trouble is they reckon we need more like 80,000 to do it properly.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Land can be terraced. Mountains can be made into mole hills, if that is what it takes to make a countries population self sustaining. Importing labor is like our current global economy, weak. Machine can solve the agricultural harvesting problem. Can it be done, absolutely. Will if be done, not until the food runs short and the labor can't be imported. If a human can harvest it, a machine can be built to perform the same task. Look at auto assembly lines. If the need is great enough or the desire is great enough, man can design and build the equipment needed to harvest just about any crop.

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think a lot of vegetables and even some fruit can be harvested by machine, I don't think that is the problem, its the selection of the crop and the packing-sometimes out in the field- that needs human hands, supermarkets are very picky and everything has to be of uniform size, anything over or under sized is discarded, silly I know but supermarkets have the upper hand as regards to buying power.

TMT Tactical likes this.