Feral Dogs, Elimination

Discussion in 'Other Not Listed Situations' started by Old Geezer, Apr 11, 2022.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Feral dogs are a problem in cities, suburbs, and rural areas.

Post SHTF, people WILL NOT euthanize their "pets". They will take their dogs out somewhere / some place and put them out in the hopes that the dog will find some means of survival.

Only one dog in twenty may survive. Those dogs that do survive will revert to their wolf instincts.

Feral dogs are a problem now. Post SHTF, they will be beyond dangerous, beyond nuisance, they will be the very monsters Mother Nature programmed them to be.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  3. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Decades ago, my wife came home with our kids and there witnessed a rabid dog running in circles in our gravel driveway. Dog packs, along with raccoons and bats, are reservoirs of the rabies virus. I was at work. She didn't call me. She took our kids into the house. I told my wife to NEVER do that EVER again. I told her to drive away and notify me or the authorities to come and kill the dog. Post SHTF, the authorities will not in any way be in a position to come to your aid.

Which rifle calibers and/or shotgun loads have you used or known others to have used to eradicate dog packs?

There is the matter of close-in killing of dog packs and then there is the matter of 100 yards/meters plus. Shotguns are obviously great for close-in. Rifles are needed for out there. Small gauge buckshot and varmint rifle calibers immediately come to mind.

But what about y'all?! What have you used to kill-off useless animals?

Remember, this is not a hunting situation. If one can shoot them through their lungs, then they will go off to die somewhere not very far away. My dad did this, shoot dogs through the lungs.

Please share your stories. Very useful information, anything y'all can provide will be of value. In my world, dog packs killing deer and killing ranchers' calves are the primary issues. Like I said, post SHTF, dog packs are going to cause mega-problems.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    we dont have feral dogs in the UK, maybe the odd loose dog but thats because they have a lazy owner.
    we also dont have rabies in dogs probably due to the English Channel although I believe some Wild Bats have rabies.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A 22lr with hollow point and a good scope is all that I need. Mine is on a 10-22 and it has never failed to please. My family use to run a few head of cattle and a pack of feral dogs can kill your profits. They will run a young calf to death and do it just for fun. It least a wolf if doing it to eat but feral dogs do it just for the hell of it...I guess that their association with mankind has rubbed of on them.

People move out into rural areas and think that just because there are no leash laws that their dogs have the right to do ANYTHING that they freaking want to do. I usually offer them one warning and then just kill the poor animal. It is sad they die not because they are bad but because they are owned by a dumbass that won't take proper care of them and teach them manners.

I used to have BIG huskies that ran over a hundred pounds and we lived on a property that was more or less a ranch. There were horses, cattle and pasture pigs running all over the place. We don't always pen the pigs until we want to fatten them for slaughter. The breeder pigs are free range in 500 acres of pasture with two ponds on it. LOL. most of the dogs just looked at the livestock as big funny looking but generally nice other dogs.

Some people are just not country folks and need to stay in the cities. Ther ARE rules even if there are no cops to enforce them. I have had to get a deputy sheriff to come out and explain the facts of rural life to them several times. Yes dumb-butt even though there are no leash laws you ARE responsible for your animals actions. I learned early that trying to talk to those idiots myself is a waste of time.

Fortunately there was a deputy that lived out there that was good about “chatting” with idiots about the life-expectancy of their dogs if they bothered other peoples livestock much less the people. If your dog growls at my kids on my property they die. When if comes to livestock people don’t even have that much patience.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    any loose dog has the capability to run down and kill farm animals, farmers over here have the right to shoot any dog that they think is worrying or attacking their stock, it has happened and it keeps happening, people are stupid and I'm sorry to say so are many dog owners.
    dogs are supposed to be kept on leads around stock and especially in the breeding season but you cant tell some people.
    there were a lot of dogs purchased during the lock downs by people who havent the first clue about owning a dog.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You can train/teach a dog to leave the livestock alone. I had a 1oo lb plus Husky that thought that he was a horse or cow. He would run around with them all the time and would protect them like they were his pack mates.

When my Daughter would go riding he would just trot right along with them. If another dog ran out at them yapping he would go full on protector and chase them away. On a pretty sunny day he would go up the hill and just hang out with the cattle. He liked to curl up on the hill among his horses and cattle with an ocassional hog thrown in and take a nap. All of the critters would sort of herd together. I miss the days of looking up the hill and seeing all of the critters with the kids running among them.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Lonewolf, the sad thing is that those people usually don't put any more effort into raising their kids than they do their animals. Their kids turn out to be just little human shaped ANIMALS!!!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in the inner cities that is very true.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Almost any caliber will kill a dog. Shot placement is the determining factor. Close up I prefer the shotgun with 00 buckshot. Out to about 100 yards I would use my 7.62 x 39 rifle with 125 grain hollow points. Past 100 yards I would use the 6.5 Creedmoor. Even with wild pack animals. I try for a humane kill. With dangerous animals, I would also use a fast repeating rifle / shotgun or large caliber handgun. Single shot weapons would be my last option.

11. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Always have a hunting license. If out hiking, you get asked why you are carrying, just say, "Oh, I'm out ready to shoot a [jabberwocky, fill-in-the-blank critter that is always in season]."

I've stocked .22 Mag for the feral furries, but haven't had to use them. If you are the critter being stalked by dogs, they could move in on you too quickly, so one needs a repeating shotgun with buck. The .22 mag is way too puny. Smaller buckshot will work and smaller buck let's you say that you're not deer hunting -- and hey, you're not. There are many more pellets in #3 and #4 buckshot. Handgun-wise, you have to have a decent killing caliber to deal with dogs.

Anybody have experience killing dogs with a 9mm? I sure don't. And I've heard no stories -- I'd have to look-up the topic. What I'd worry about is that the 9 just wouldn't get the job done. Even if you have >15 round magazines, you could get torn apart before killing them off. In carbines, one could have 30 round magazines. But then the question returns, will a 9mm work at all? It's one thing to shoot into a pack and let the wounded go off and die somewhere, but when YOU are what they are running towards at 30 miles an hour, uh oh!

I'm gonna go look online.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      I was just now looking at what critters one can hunt year-round. Coyotes came up for several states. You'd have to look at your own state. "Yes, game warden Thomas, I have been hearing those coyotes, that's why I'm carrying this here rifle [shotgun / fill-in-the-blank/whatever firearm]. Never can tell when those could just run in on you!" Coyotes usually do not attack people. Maybe the game warden will tell you that. You can reply, "Well well, I've learned something new today!" One type of killer dawg one can run into is the inbred human. They might attack you. And if you nuke one, you have improved the gene-pool!

Old Geezer, Apr 11, 2022
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well, this isn't any sort of canine. A rather large kitty-cat, actually. Some countries have "unique" issues. I've had a bear in my neighborhood back home. In Iowa there was a mountain lion near a Jr. High. Here's a kitty in a high school.

"California mountain lion wanders into high school classroom"

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-mountain-lion-high-school-classroom

"A mountain lion strolled into a high school in Northern California Wednesday morning and was trapped inside a classroom, authorities said.

"The puma entered the grounds of Pescadero High School and ran around before a teacher managed to close a door, trapping it inside a classroom, the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office said.

"The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service was notified to come to the school and remove the cougar. The sheriff’s office told Fox News that the agency is working to remove the mountain lion safely and humanely from the classroom and return it to its natural habitat."
    ---------------

O.Gzr: Don't go where other creatures, two-legged and four-legged, have already claimed. If you are an outsider, well then gosh, you get what you get. Critters might bight you. Humans might shoot you. So it goes.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in Britain we dont have a feral dog problem, we might have the odd loose dog but its not very often.
    the problem we do have with some dog owners is that they dont know how to behave around dogs, no dog especially a new dog should be left alone around young children but sadly some children have paid the price of their parents ignorance with their lives. usually pit bull type dogs.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I was working in a small native town pop 200 on Baffin island along time ago , A young girl was badly mauled by sled dog that was loose , they were several more like this one. The men decided enough is enough . they told everyone stay off the streets and any dog loose gets shot.
    they cleaned thing up very quick.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    When 17, I'd take my revolver to a place where people dumped trash illegally to shoot rats/whatnot. People dumped dogs also -- thinking the dogs would somehow survive. One day, I stopped a state Highway Patrol officer and asked if anything could be done about the dog issue. He said, "Son, I can't tell you what to do, but I know what I'd do."

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I used to do the same thing at a garbage dump. I would save all the food garbage and freeze it until a had a full load. then drive to the dump in a pick up with lawn chairs in the back, there open the garbage bag and spread it around. and start shooting. Once i shoot a big rat square in the shoulder 22 long rifle , he growled at me and crawled away , one tough rat.

TMT Tactical and Old Geezer like this.
  17. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Twenty thousand people die in India every year due to rabies. It is reported that there are 30 million stray dogs in India. Here's the video in which I heard these numbers.

These dogs need to be shot and killed.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I was watching some dog attack videos this week. One thing that stood out in my mind was that shots from a handgun sometimes nailed the dog on the spot, whereas during other incidents, a wounded dog just yelped and ran away. Worse, sometimes it took multiple rounds out of a handgun to drop one of these monsters ... especially the pit-bulls. Ladies and gentlemen, we have like 4 or 5, likely more, pit-bulls living in fenced-in backyards near our home. Seen owners walking down the road with them leashed. Truth be told, it was the dog dragging its owner. One wonders if the owner could handle the beast if it decided to go attack another dog -- I don't think so.

My pump shotgun has as the first three loads 3" magnum buckshot, then two slugs. Buttstock shell-holder has an even mix of buckshot and slugs. If I have to nuke a crazy-mean big dog and no person is near, then it will catch a load of buckshot. If I'm close-up and mustn't injure the person getting eaten, I'll nuke the dog with a slug. Shotgun slugs do horrific damage. High power rifles pose a danger to nearby houses, but in wilderness areas are the best medicine to kill large dogs. Back 40 years ago, a friend of mine's brother-in-law had a day job, but would also kill dogs for farmers / ranchers. Wild dogs predate on calves. This fellow said that he once shot a German Shepard mix with a 30-30. He said the round nearly tore the dog in half. I've a .357 lever to use on mean dogs if the need arises. A .357 out of a 16" to 20" barrel causes horrific damage / can instantly kill.

Here's some videos.

In the following video (fast-forward through the boring parts), a homeowner / off-duty cop heads outa his house to go to work. Neighbor's dog comes for the man at velocity. Man draws and fires his .40 S&W hitting the dog in the head. The dog goes down. Now, the man and the dog-owner neighbor start shouting at each other (fast-forward through that sh##-fest). What happens? The dang pit bull (not a large one) regains consciousness, but does not continue to fight. Back story is that the dog is taken to a vet, but dies. A well-mushroomed 10mm round (JHP) was found on the sidewalk. The narrator says that the powerful round did NOT penetrate the dog's skull! I find this difficult to believe, but holy crap, there's the incident on video. The dog was instantly knocked unconscious, but the bullet did NOT splatter its brains like anyone would expect it to do -- and, the other rounds didn't kill it johnny-on-the-spot either. Again, I am taken aback ... unbelievable! o_O That dog should have been killed and NEVER have been able to regain consciousness.

==========

In the next video, a pit bull runs out of a house, attacks a cop, cop shoots dog, dog yelps, then just runs back into the house. Let me repeat, the thing gets shot and just runs back home. What if it hadn't lost its nerve and had decided to continue the attack! Handgun = not enough gun.

================

Worst case scenario. Woman gets shredded by pit bulls. Has to have both legs amputated below the knee. Has to have her face reconstructed via multiple surgeries.

=============

A TASER means nothing to a pit bull:

====================

Coyote attacks pit bull. Yes, there are canines out there that are more aggressive than pit bulls.

=====================

Wolves are monsters. Wolf attack? You need a Claymore!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkC7vNrgs6M

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Even when I am just out mowing or tending to my yard, I am armed. My 9mm EDC may not be a great instant stopper, but 15 of them will certainly get the job done. I will typically be using my shotgun for the two legged critters who try to enter my property uninvited.

Old Geezer likes this.
  20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    not a problem where I live, no feral dogs or wolves or 2 legged intruders, domestic cats are a flaming nuisance though, and cat poo stinks!!!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Having a high capacity magazine can be a life-saver in this day and age. Many deer hunters carry automatics with them, not for deer (OK, maybe a put-down round), but for dog packs and the two-legged psych-cases running around out there. You can run into somebody's pot field and get mistaken for law enforcement or be deemed pot thief = get shot. Moonshiners are no longer as numerous as they once were. Chrystal meth labs locate in trailers set way out in nowheresville. Don't want to deal with those crazies either.

Decades ago, a friend asked me to go out on his property (mainly forested, but had a clearing) with him because he thought some Mexicans were trying to grow pot on a section of his acreage. He wanted me to back him up in a possible armed confrontation. Needless to say, I declined.

Predatory gangs that are now forming 4-man packs and leaving the cities to engage in thievery runs / home invasions in the suburbs and more rural areas. A revolver just doesn't cover you if you get swarmed. Gotta have a high-cap auto. Civilization is just flying apart.

Post SHTF, people are going to turn out their dogs when they can't feed them anymore. Most of these dogs will just die; however, imagine if one in twenty survived due to its rapacity and gathered with other survivor rapacious canines. This pack would be beyond dangerous.

When out in the wilderness keep a gun with you. Why? Read the following:

"Georgia Hunter Suffers Hundreds of Bite Wounds During Brutal Dog Attack in the Woods"

https://www.fieldandstream.com/survival/deer-hunter-attacked-by-pack-of-dogs/

Begin quote

A Georgia man sustained serious injuries to his legs, arms, and hands after a pack of loose dogs attacked him while he was relocating a deer stand. The 61-year-old hunter ended up with 298 puncture wounds and a severed ligament in his hand after an attack that lasted upwards of 15 minutes. Once he escaped, the man managed to flag down a passing driver who helped transport him to a nearby hospital.

The hunter—who asked to be identified by first his name only—was in the process of removing the straps from his ladder stand on the morning of January 15 when he noticed three large dogs approaching. “One of them came in and attacked me. When it did, the other two joined in. They were attacking me from all three sides. It was kind of like wolf-mentality,” Scott B. told Field & Stream. “They were in a complete frenzy. I was doing anything I could to fight them off.”

Scott tried screaming for help, but no one was around to come to his aid. Because he’d left his cell phone on his ATV more than 150 yards away from the scene of the attack, he was unable to phone authorities while the dogs were mauling him. Eventually, he managed to fight them off by wheeling around a large stick in circular motion. As he spun with the stick, Scott made his way toward another ladder stand that he knew of on an adjoining piece of property.

“They were still biting me, but spinning with that stick kept them from teaming up and keeping me stuck in one place,” he recalled. “As I was going up the ladder stand, I told myself that I really needed to hold on tight to the rungs because the dogs are going to be jumping on my backside and trying to pull me down—and if they did, I’d probably never get away.”

He stayed in the stand for about 30 minutes, waiting for the dogs to leave the area. When it seemed like the coast was clear, he climbed down. But the dogs heard him moving through the dry leaves and quickly returned. He scrambled back into the stand and waited out the dogs for another half hour. Then he made a run for a nearby highway.

“I started trying to wave cars down. Finally, a family stopped and rolled down their window. I just yelled out: ‘I’ve been attacked by a pack of dogs, and I need medical help,'” he said. “When I got to the emergency room they said I had 298 puncture wounds and lacerations and needed to be sewn up in seven places.”

End quote

The injuries this guy suffered didn't go to the bone. No meat was ripped off. Had the pack been pit-bulls, they would have ripped his muscles down to the bone. Pit-bull attacks kill and those that don't, the person requires surgery & possible amputations.

[​IMG]

TMT Tactical likes this.