Finding Food in the City

Discussion in 'Urban Survival' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 24, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aneye4theshot

Aneye4theshot Expert Member
      125/140

Blog Posts:
    There is an advantage of finding food in an urban environment compared to the wild. In the wild, you have to hunt and trap food. And after you do that you have to clean, gut and cook it. But in an urban environment you really just have to find it. Most people might think grocery stores are a good idea, but most likely the produce and meats are going to be spoiled and very unhealthy to consume. Water and most beverages will most likely have been taken due to riots and scavengers before you. But you might be able to find some sealed dry goods or cans of vegetables and meats but always trusts your senses of sight, smell and taste before consuming.
    upload_2016-1-24_20-29-7.png
    If you are on the move, there're lots of motels and convenience stores around, and it is possible that vending machines still might have food in them. Just take a rock to be safe and smash the glass if the city has already been raided. In houses that are abandoned, you could also scavenge through the Hubbard's and pantries for dry goods but never take anything that looks spoiled. If you are desperate for food, and you looked at all of these places, you could start looking in workplaces for stashed snacks in desks, but it would probably be better just to move forward.

2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    City food flocks of pigions

3. mr_zippehead

mr_zippehead New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Many people used to breed rabbits for food in an urban environment. Rabbits are good in that they eat grass and leaves, but they are not large like a cow or a goat. If you had an airgun or slingshot you could shoot squirrels.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    This is an anecdote of our housemaid's brother in Leyte when it was hit by a tsunami in 2013. Remember typhoon Yolanda? There were thousands of dead people almost everywhere. And after 2 days, those who survived were facing the prospect of going hungry. Everyone was searching for food and those with stores couldn't do anything when the people ransacked their storage for food items. Aside from the dead due to the rampaging sea waters, there were also a lot who died from hunger.

Our housemaid's brother joined a group who went to the capital to raid the big mall. There were no guards and the Robinsons mall was closed but people have their way so they were able to enter. It was really funny when the brother came home with the loot... a videoke microphone plus some musical CDs. And since there was no electricity, that videoke microphone has no use. With food? The mall was empty, said the brother.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    sounds very much like the London "riots" of a few years ago, people were stealing TV's and other electrical stuff then setting fire to the store on the way out.
    course this was when there was still electricity, wont do them much good when the power goes off.

6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Riots and looters are groups that make a bad thing worse no sense in what they take or destroy. After shtf it will be really bad with groups raiding others to take the supplies keep low and advoid drawing their attention hopefully you will be overlooked this way

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    yep, "hunkering down" will be the best policy, no matter where we are.
    this is one of the reasons why preppers have a food store, so that we don't have to go out and put ourselves at risk when the madness strikes the rest of the population.

8. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    In the city, in my experience, when disaster strikes and your homestead is safe to still inhabit, stay there. There will be looters, thugs, criminals, and those that have not taken the time to prepare like us preppers have. If you still have electricity or are still using candles, I would suggest using them at a minimum because people often think that if people are somewhere and are staying there, that there are likely things like food that they will try to get by begging, stealing, or force.

9. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    In my town, I don't think there would be too much rioting. However, there is nothing to say outsiders would not come in and riot. During the Great Depression, I heard of city dwellers going through trash cans looking for half eaten food. Hopefully, I would be with my brother and his family where we would pool our resources. Then together we would decide what to do after our food is gone. I trust these people and we would find a way to keep each other fed.