Flint, Steel & Tinderbox Fire Lighting.

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by Keith H., Jun 16, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:

Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Interesting video Keith. I am an enthusiast of flint and steel, but I never use the box to light the tinder (which I see as more of an "inside" method for lamp-lighting etc). I use char cloth against the flint and holding the tinder in my hand blow through the bundle. Obviously that then goes into the prepared fire (I see this as more of an "outdoors" method). In some early western portraits of voyageurs that had Native American crews there are images of them using this method, except they would swing the bundle with the sparks to reach ignition point. I guess that was because of the damp environment and adding the moisture form one's breath would slow ignition.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The tinderbox is also an outdoor method, woodsmen & woods women did not use charred cloth, charred cloth was for inside home for the most part. The tinderbox is used to prepare plant & fungi tinders in the outdoors, & it conserves the tinder for use another time. The bird nest method uses all the tinder in one lighting. The idea of waving it in the air is simply to keep the smoke & flames out of your face.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Not sure about that, if one is sensible and stands with one's back to the wind the smoke and flames are blown away from you (I am mindful in say this that I do not have a beard to set light light to as most did in the old days).

I use char cloth as it is easier to make than preparing most plant and fungi in a modern home. Old jeans material is plentiful ;)

I enjoyed your video Keith

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.