Gardening & construction-Tools To Carry With You.

Discussion in 'Wilderness' started by Keith H., May 31, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    There is a large variety of tools you could carry with you providing you have enough people to carry them. But aside from tools of this nature there is other equipment that is equally important, so no individual can be burdened with too many tools. This means that you must take care in your choice of tools, & the fewer people in your group, the more important it is to make the right choices.
    You will need a tool to break ground, such as a mattock. You will need a tool to dig holes, so you really need a post hole shovel or a spade. You may need to cut timber for shelter construction so an axe will be needed. These I think are the minimum tools required, & actually one person on their own could manage to carry these tools on top of their other equipment.
    For the person on their own a tomahawk would suffice, but a half-axe could be carried also for heavier work. A small mattock without a helve, & a small shovel head also without a handle could easily be tied to a pack.
    These are the tools I have in preparation just in case I need them:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Both of these tools are undersized so much lighter than full sized tool heads.
    [​IMG]
    A size comparison is shown here between a tomahawk, a half-axe & a light felling axe.

Other useful tools: If you want to carry a wood saw, the lighter smaller pruning saw is an option. These saws cut very well for their size. Bill Hooks also known in the 18th century as Facsine Knives are good for cutting saplings & brush. In the 18th century the military carried & used these for constructing facsines.
    If you think that you may need to join timbers together or drive in wooden pegs, then an auger will come in useful, as will a gimlet for much smaller work.
    [​IMG]
    Auger without its handle.
    [​IMG]
    A much smaller auger & gimlet. I made these from two brace bits.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Two Facsine Knives that belonged to my Father, the upper one I fitted with a corn cob handle as the original was missing.
    [​IMG]
    Equipment & tools in carriers carried by military pioneers in the 18th century.
    [​IMG] Close up of the axe carrier
    Keith.

2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    A combo crosscut rip saw. One saw does it all shovel hoe rake hammer hatchet combo one tool does it all again crow bar axe files and chisels stones for sharpening and maintance

3. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Totally disagree Tom. But best of luck with your choice.
    Keith.

4. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    If you came and saw what i have keith the age and quailty of the gear you would smile and understand im old school myself just a bit more modern. With the combo saw i have i can cut it down cut for fire or cut it into lumber it was made in 1910 in germany and is a prized yard sale find the lady had painted a picture on it but 2 bucks and a bit of work later its a great tool a ten in tree drops in 20 min ive allways said old tools over the latestgot to have gadget anyday

Keith H. likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've been collecting tools I think will be necessary post collapse for a long time now, all hand tools as I suspect power will not be available and everything we do will have to be done by hand.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Yep wolf i chuckle at people grid goes down they going to be lost the younger ones are going to be baffled dazed and confused then dangerous

7. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    For a shovel i like the old military etool the wood handled one i have five atm one tool multi use again people dont usely know to resharpen a shovel this fine little tools take a edge that when used right make a fine weapon allso

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes, when they cant use their mobile phones and other stuff they will be lost.
    just take maps for instance, who-apart from preppers and survivalists- have them? everyone's got GPS these days, fine until it no longer works.

Keith H. likes this.
  9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Me too, but for me it was a necessity as we had no electricity anyway. I was raised using hand tools, my Father taught me. I have all I need, but need a new workshop. Still trying to find a contractor that will come out here & lay a slab & put up a double bay garage.
    Keith.

10. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I think one can reduce the catalogue of tools in his backpack by carrying the axe and spade heads without the stick in order to pack it easily into a smaller backpack. Some tools can also be designed in the wild like knives. Simply hit two stones against each other and shapes will break off. Select the sharpest and the strongest and fix them into a wet wooden handle. When it dries, it would grip it very firmly.

11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    That is what I said, but I see no point or advantage in NOT carrying decent knives & having to try & make them in the wilderness! Surely the knife is one of the lightest & less bulky items you will be carrying, & you will NEED a good knife on the journey.
    Have you ever made a stone knife remnant?
    Keith.