Global Warming

Discussion in 'Climate Change' started by branchd77, Jan 16, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. branchd77

branchd77 Administrator Staff Member Gold Supporter
      257/345

Blog Posts:
    What is everyone's opinion on global warming?

2. Gene

Gene Moderator
      75/93

Blog Posts:
    It's cold in cental Washington this is one of your hardest winters I can remember and I have been living in its area when I started in first grade.

Jason likes this.
  3. Isaac

Isaac Active Member
      31/47

Blog Posts:
    I have not seen evidence of it and there is science on both sides and in the middle. If they cant agree, how can we know? The scientific facts I have trusted lean to normal fluctuation. Definately think all our polution has to be effecting the environment.

4. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Other than normal fluctuations there is a slow but steady cooling
    Regardless of minor temp rises the overall trend is cooling!

Google "Milankovich cycle"

This global warming stuff is nothing more than stripping wealth from the poor !

GS AutoTech likes this.
  5. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I worry a lot about global warming. I personally don't think it gets near enough attention as it deserves. The ice is melting animals are fleeing and losing there homes. They have recently discover a new bear species due to climate change. It's a mix of brown bear and polar bear. The polar bears are being forced to move to warmer areas which is cause the two species to mix. It seems like a big problem in my eyes.

6. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    There is currently an explosion in polar bear numbers! more around than at any time in historical past!
    There are so many polar bears they are being crowded out of the arctic into brown and grizzly territory!
    The polar bear is actually a white, brown bear same species different colour!
    The ice is not retreating if it was the northwest passage would be ice free by now! and it is not!

Yes some glaciers are retreating but they have been retreating for 11,000years! nothing new there!

There simply is no evidence for global warming except in the minds of believers!

Meanwhile jack frost is sneaking up behind you dragging the iceage with him!

GS AutoTech likes this.
  7. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    The climate change is felt in the tropics. Summer temperatures are extremely higher than usual and rains are excessive. Even the plants seem to be lost with the seasons. I was checking the old photos this morning and I saw that our dragon fruit was fruiting in May of 2012. But last year it bore fruit only in October and only few unlike before when we could harvest more than 10 fruits. On the other hand, the apple mango tree which bears fruit twice a year seems to be blooming with flowers 3 times a year. Now, that's really a crazy climate.

With the global warming, it is scary to think that the weather will get its revenge in the rainy season when our place would be drenched for a month of rains. And when it pours hard, flooding will follow. I had said that I would easily survive drought because we have an air conditioner and electric fan but with the flooding, we have no shield for that.

8. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I don't know, honestly. Climate change to me is as unfounded as gluten intolerance or the benefits of coffee. One minute it exists. The next we hear it's fine, no worries. The the news says the temperatures are breaking world records... Now we're being told that the poles are shifting and we're in for a cataclysmic climate shift. When The Day After Tomorrow unfolds before my eyes, maybe then I'll be willing to say climate has indeed changed. But for right now, I think the Earth is encountering a natural climate shift. Humans have only been on this planet for such a short time that we really don't know what how often the climate fluctuates. For all we know, this whole global warming thing can just be the Earth have a 100 year long hot flash.

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I haven't seen much evidence of it here in the UK TBH, summers are a bit cooler and winters are a bit wetter but that's fairly normal for the mild climate of the south west of England.

10. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    I was a firm believer in global warming for years!
    But I am the sort of guy who checks facts as I take no ones word without checking!
    And over a few years I was looking at the same data as these research scientists and noticed inconsistancies!
    There were deliberate data errors that changed things and then these incorrect conclusions became fact and so on !
    Now the whole premise is based on faulty data and biased conclusions!

Now most of these researchers rely on global warming grants for there livelihood!
    No global warming! No grants! no income! will need a real job and actual work!

I know if my livelihood depended on global warming being real My research would show that true or false!

Did you know in the latter part of the 20th century they systematicly reduced the number of temperature reading stations and moved many others!
    Looking closely the end result showed a general overall temp rise even though there was no actual rise! just a change in measuring parameters! sneaky!
    And at about the same time recorded data started getting fixed for errors! yesterdays temperature recorded yesterday suddenly changes the next day!
    All under one or another adjustment regiemes that have suddenly appeared!

NO for me there was way too much fiddling with the data for the data and hence anything involved to be worth anything!
    With all the deliberate fiddling there is a fixed agender there with global warming just a tool!

For fourty years I have heard predictions that have proven to be all bunkum! but but but it will happen! well call me when something actually happens
    other than fearmongering and guilt trips where you pay pay and pay!
    Follow the money! Follow the money! it's your money follow it!

GS AutoTech likes this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm a firm believer of global warming, I just haven't seen any evidence of it personally.

12. Chad L Calvert

Chad L Calvert New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Well originally I lived in Kokomo where their was an ice storm in my birthday and I had to shovel snow countless times as a kid like 20. Now I moved 50 miles south living in Indianapolis. I only had to shovel the snow once last year. Its still cold for a few months but less snow.
    It is nicer, but I like snow on Christmas. I like having at least one snow where I can build a snowman. If it never snows the bugs don't all die off and it will be like Florida - with fire ants - too hot. I think climate change is real but caused by solar system change i.e. the sun and inside earth like green house gas emissions from cars, people and so on.

13. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Global Warming is one of the most urgent issues to be discussed by all of us (because it's something that directly affects the whole planet), but it's a pity that most of people don't
    attach the necessary importance to it.

The losses are before our eyes, we feel the negative effects in our body... But unfortunately the bad habits don't change. Maybe we worry when nature gets upset and show for everyone that she's tired of all those attacks that have been done against her for decades, isn't it?

TheRoaringLion and Beautiful like this.
  14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we cant do anything about it, its probably gone too far to be reversed now, all we can do is live with the consequences of it, whatever those might be.

Old Geezer likes this.
  15. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Outside of atomic weapons and energy, one would be hard pressed to find a more politicized scientific topic. I can't reduce my answer to a simple yes or no. The overwhelming consensus in the scientific community is there is evidence for anthropogenic global warming. How much and what policies to undertake from there is a matter of debate. Some quarters have grossly overstated the risk, while some on the other extreme deny it altogether. I prefer a more balanced approach and review the findings myself.

GS AutoTech likes this.
    1. GS AutoTech
      Consensus is not science. When 99 out of 100 scientists get paid to promote an idea you can easily achieve consensus. That doesn't make it fact. Real science with real facts. The scientific method has been thrown to the gutter & science "consensus" going to the highest bidder. It revolting. I have no doubt climate has changed cause the evidence that the planet's climate has always shifted in cycles. Even when there was no human interaction. Any data that has been skewed or tampered with in any way is dubious at best. Is climate changing? Yes, just as it Always has.

GS AutoTech, Jul 20, 2017
  16. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Please show some real evidence? Not looking for opinions yours or otherwise!

Sea levels have not moved in the last 50years as I have been watching that long!
    Average temperatures have not risen and have actually decreased by half a degree in 50years I have been watching

Winter Antarctic sea-ice has been reaching never before seen extents with most years in the last decade being record years I know I have been watching.

Not seen any actual evidence yet! I have seen lots of chicken littles and little boys crying wolf, lots of backslapping and ooh ar ing! and lots of moralising and taxing
    but still no evidence
    Most glaciers have been retreating for the last 11-12,000years nothing new there!
    Pacific islands have been sinking for thousands of years as the mountains they are subside!
    The ozone hole is now shrinking
    CO2 is coming off historical lows but that's plant food so all good there!
    Garbage and real pollutants are a problem but that's not global warming!

And do not forget the earths actual temperature is dependant on its orbit around the sun!

17. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    The researchers at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) would disagree. They have an overview of the rising sea levels here. Cheers.

18. Huggy212

Huggy212 New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Global warming is inevitable and it is already in here. You may not feel it because we get used to it simce we are inside the planet and little by little the temperature rises. If you are from a cold or temperate place and you transfer to a new hot environment and will sure feel it because of the sudden change. Many people dont care about global warming because they do not feel it. They do not feel it because they are getting used to it. Look around you, the meting of the ice caps, extinction of some species, new born illnesses ans many other effects.

19. zeedollar

zeedollar New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Global warming causes enormous increase in the earth's surface temperature of both water, land and the atmosphere and it is something we should overlook, if things continue to go the way it is, there might be some serious consequence to our environment. Global warming affects so many parts of the world we live in today it has increased the melting rate of the ice sheets and is constantly increasing sea levels which is not cool at all.

20. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The icecaps on Mars are also shrinking. My use of fossil fuels likely didn't set that off.

Put an ice cube in a microwave, set the timer, turn it on, and watch what happens to Mr Icecube. The sun spews radiation. The thermostat for that sort of activity is not located on my planet it would appear.

Meanwhile the plant-life on Earth is having a party. Our plant friends are breathing much easier, as they did back when CO2 levels were far higher than they have been. The biomass of forests is increasing with rising CO2 levels.

One thing we must do in the realm of protecting the environment is stop letting countries such as Japan from cutting the Earth's old-growth forests and rain-forests. The soil underneath rain-forests turns to rock when exposed and thus the forest can't be replanted -- you get like 3 years of agriculture out of it, then it turns to rock. So don't cut these types of forests, they don't grow back. Japan parks oil-tanker sized wood-processing ships off the coasts of continents and buys-off logging rights. Stop them.

21. Maria_C

Maria_C New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Well, scientists are trying hard to prove. The developed world keeps preaching about it yet continue using the things aiding it. I'll take global warming serious when those huge coal burning economies stop using it.

22. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    It gets warm EVERY summer. It gets warmer some summers than others. The sun is hot. Sometimes it gets hotter and some time it is colder. This has always been true and always will be true. Go and do just a little reading about sun spot activity and how it relates to the amount of heat that the Earth receives. The sun is hot right now. That is a lot better than it was when it was somewhat cooler. That is called and ice age. Ice age bad!! Look up Maunder Minimum on Wikipedia. You will note that from 1650 to 1700 sunspot activity was WAY down. This was called the "Little Ice Age" and crops failed. You will also note that sunspot activity is still going up from that point.

I don't understand the idea that everything has to be blamed on people usually Americans. It IS warmer and it may get warmer yet. At one time there was no ice covering Antarctica. We did not cause that and we are not causing this. Destroying our civilization is not going to cool things off. There is no evidence that any man-made things are causing this.

This is just like the period a few decades ago when we were causing an ice age that was coming and the time there was a hole in the ozone layer (over Antarctica no less) that was caused by people using Freon to cool their homes fridges, freezers and cars. You needed a lot of cooling in Antarctica at the time I'm sure and Freon which is 6 times heavier than air woulds have been my first thought for what was causing it. When was the last time you heard anything about that? You haven't. After costing us about $10,000,000.000,000.00 world wide to convert to other less effective refrigerants it turns out there actually never was a real hole there. It was just a temporary seasonal thinning that we had never been able to detect before. But the good news is it made a lot of millionaires into billionaires and a few billionaires into trillionaires and made a lot of lying scientists a lot of money.

This is like most things and is all about money. There is, and always has been, BIG money in the end of the world predictions. Preachers have been doing it forever. Corn syrup is declared bad by scientists that are paid by the cane sugar people. Marijuana is illegal because drug dealers pay the politicians to keep it that way. Saccharin was declared to be carcinogenic by scientists again paid by the sugar companies. They force feed it to rats until it killed them. A person would have to eat a brick on the stuff over a very short time to equal the amount they were pumping into those rats. Eventually reason and real science made a show and now it is sold again but under a different name...Sweet and Low.

If it gets hotter people will adapt. Let me tell you, it is a LOT hotter in Texas than it is in the North parts of the US and most of Europe and it is even warmer south of here but people live and thrive. If it warms enough they might start farming in places that are too cold for that now. Deserts will form and other places will get wetter. That is just the way a living planet works!

Old Geezer likes this.
  23. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    A little less then 30 years ago on the island of South Georgia there used to be glaciers covering most of the island. It is now almost all bare rock.
    The problem with the discussion about global warming is that BOTH sides of an argument are using only the theories or data that suit their side of the argument while ignoring conflicting data.
    To the people who are saying that their winters are colder, this can be caused by shifts in the jet stream causing shifts in weather patterns...because on average the globe is warming.
    We are currently only half way into the warming phase of a Milankovitch cycle and the world will not begin a cooling phase for approximately another 10,000 years. There are other theoretical cycles that effect our weather on approximately 7 year period and 3-400 year periods and other issues regarding fluctuations in the Suns activity, reflection and absorption of solar energy, atmospheric composition etc.
    All of this information is being used to cloud the issue and confuse the public but I'll put it this way, the planet is warming and will continue to do so, whether it's down to us or not, I don't know.

24. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    I often wonder, have we as a species become so arrogant to believe we know & understand the mysteries of the universe? A few hundred years of science & less than a hundred years of more advanced technology? Suddenly we are masters of of the universe? Really?

Ystranc likes this.
  25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there is nothing we can do about global warming, all we can do is try to live with the consequences.

26. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Sun spot activity runs on an 11 year cycle. The fact is there are a lot of cycles that we can find in the weather pasterns and then some that are such long cycle that we don't have records going far enough back to see them yet. I don't have any doubt that we are getting a little warmer. I just don't see it as an end of the world threat that we need to panic and destroy ourselves over. If the US did every thing that the Greenies wants it would collapse our economy. I know that a lot of people would like to see that but understand this. No US means no NATO, no United Nations, No free world wide policing, No free food for the masses of over populated third world nations and no balancing of powers over the Russians or Chinese. The price of oil and gas will TRIPLE world wide. It is the threat of the US starting is oil industry back up that drives the Middle East oil prices down. The US still sits atop the largest know reserves of carbon based fuels in the world. It is only the cheap and easy reserves that have been tapped out. If you will note, every time the price of oil reaches about 100 dollars a barrel the US oil industry fires back up and shortly the Arabs are dropping the prices back down to kill that.

Like it or not our current level of civilization requires a certain energy level. Since we can't seem to handle nuclear at this time and solar, geothermal, wind powered and hydroelectric sources all together can't sustain it we have a real problem. Basically we can either use the carbon based fuels or allow our civilization to die and with it about 2/3 of our population.

Old Geezer likes this.
  27. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Were I the dictator of America, I would have us continue using fossil fuels until an enormous nuclear energy program came online nationally. This is a strategic military need. I'm no socialist, but neither was Eisenhower and he built the interstate highway system. (Me, I'd bring back the trains.) We perpetually put our military in harm's way for the purpose of moving oil from the other side of our planet to our side of the planet. That is what should be referred to as distilled stupidity.

How would I as dictator ensure the safety of nuclear power? I would put the Army Corps of Engineers in charge of Quality Control and in charge of the enforcement of nuclear regulations. I wouldn't just fine companies. I would have any executive caught skirting regulatory laws put in prison, i.e. ZERO TOLERANCE. The powering of a nation requires mind-numbing amounts of energy; this is way too important to handle lightly; this is core national security; nothing short of strict military discipline should be tolerated. Period.

28. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We really do need to get the trains rolling again. We should make long haul trucking against the law and require that shipments be carried by train to various centralized locations and t hen the freight shipped from there no farther than 200 miles. Big rigs are just not at all efficient. We need to fix and expand the rail systems and maybe put in the high speed rail and let that replace a lot of the air travel for the same reason. It would be good on a lot of levels from pollution to saving on oil type fuels. I think a train that you could drive your car onto that then would move you a couple hunded moles of more down the road while you either slept of ate and relaxed in a lounge car would be great!

The tracks in the US are in terrible shape and going somewhere by train can be VERY frustrating. I went from Houston to ST. Louis a few years ago. It was nice but don't expect to get there on time. We ended up running almost 18 hours late on the trip up to St. Louis and about 5 hours late on the way back. Passengers trains have the lowest priority and so end up "side tracked" to let the freight trains run through.

29. GS AutoTech

232/345

Blog Posts:
    Nuclear energy has the greatest potential to meet energy needs we humans have discovered yet. It should be utilized to the maximum extent of that potential. The US Navy has been nuclear for nearly 70 Years! With an extremely good record for safety.

30. GS AutoTech

232/345

Blog Posts:
    Over the past decade there has been a revival to the rail system for freight. Historically, passenger trains have generally failed economically. Read up on "Sh"Am-Trac.. Am-Trac has failed to turn profits & has been subsidized very heavily for decades.
    Increased freight distribution makes sense, especially for freight that is less time sensitive.
    I love trains just cause I'm a kid at heart. Although I understand that if it's not equitable it will not grow unless the Gubment continues to dump our hard earned $$$ into failing industries. Just my humble opinion.

31. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    It is hard to the point of almost impossible to get people to accept change. The American insanity of clutching to the old ways of measurement and refusing to accept the metric system is a good example. We need trains and yet don't seem able to make a change to them again. The global warming thing is, in my opinion, basically just the various governments trying to scare people into accepting change.

32. GS AutoTech

232/345

Blog Posts:
    I feel it's governments around the globe creating panic in order to seize power. Creating more tyannny. IMHO