Goats

Discussion in 'Animal Husbandry' started by Tom Williams, Feb 7, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Like Old Geezer I have a handy-capped kid that I am raising " has to walk with two canes " . My newly acquired Nigeran buck is very tame . He was raised partly on a bottle as like the grandson I am raising was born premature . I let the goat into my house yesterday to meet my Grandson . Now that was one delighted kid . The goat liked the petting and was following my wife around the kitchen and at one point reared up on its hind legs to peer into a bowl , where she was mixing up something to cook . There is a huge difference between the personality of that Nigeran buck and the Nubian buck that fell off the cliff .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    So far I'm still on a pretty steep learning curve.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  3. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Amo has become scarce and expensive , good prepper property has become scarce and expensive , and now prepper type livestock is becoming scarce and expensive . I am just pointing out that things like dairy goats , dairy cattle and chickens is going down the same dark hole as the amo .

danil54grl, Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Paul I know nothing about the British goat breed but am familiar with the saanen breed . For a prepper / survivalist to have a milk source is what I consider one of the biggest steps there is in survival . I presently have two Nubian females . My buck died . Actually I have had 3 bucks die since I obtained my goats for the collapse of society . Presently I am considering getting out of milk goats because at my age 71 , having to tend to goats daily is getting to be more than I want to do . I have to milk one of my goats regularly because both of it's babies froze to death during a ice storm last winter . I will be out milking again shortly . I wish I could find a prepper / survivalist minded person to let them go to . Right now I am trying to get my lactating doe to dry up then will try to find them a new home . I know I can not replace that milk source as adequately with something else , but will try . Right now I am looking to getting into trapping crayfish as a help in filling the milk void .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. paul m

paul m Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    I have two English and one Saanen cross.There is a smallholder in our village who has an English Billy,which covers my Nannies when the time comes. He takes the kids from me.We started keeping a Nanny for my daughter,who is a chronic asthmatic. Goat milk is allegedly rather good for asthmatic conditions .Fortunately,( it is time consuming)she looks after the girls now,and has a little cottage industry selling raw goats milk and cheese to local people.

I do hope you can find a home for your Nannies poltiregist,as you do become attached to them ,for sure.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I do like Goat Meat but its not so readily available in this part of the country, we did have a farm shop that started supplying it but that came to a standstill when the pandemic started and it hasnt restarted as yet.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. paul m

paul m Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    It depends on the area of Britain you live in,I think. I am in the Midlands,with a large Asian population. All the Halal butchers sell goat quite readily.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm in the rural south west of England.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. paul m

paul m Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I know that but I prefer to see what I'm getting before I pay for it, especially meat.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. paul m

paul m Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    Only trying to help.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I know and I thank you for it.