Good,cheap Survival Gear?

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by arachnophobik, Jul 3, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. arachnophobik

arachnophobik New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I personally like the S**t Out of Luck survival tool. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004R1J482/?
    Aside from being compact and stylish (or at least for me), it comes with handy features such as a compass, knife, a fire starter, and even has a Rescue Flash signal to let others know where you are in case that you're lost. I think this tool is God sent! What cheap survival gears do you guys like?

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I don't purchase modern gadgets, only hard core well chosen items for long term wilderness living.
    Keith.

3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Buy military surplus gear new or used

4. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I'm a firm believer that survival gear is just a tool to help you survive. What matters most is your knowledge, skill and attitude towards survival.

5. operator6

operator6 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Frog toggs rain gear. It's awesome !

6. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    The cheapest survival gear I would recommend are the DIY ones. They are very cheap and sometimes it doesn't even cost you a cent. You'll just have to be creative and look for something that you can use and come up with a good one. Although there are a lot of survivals kits that are purchasable but I guess it depends on what kind of survivalist you are.

7. Born Prepper

Born Prepper Member
      11/29

Blog Posts:
    I suppose something like this would be ok, personally, I like to save up the money and buy quality gear, takes a little longer yes, but imo, worth it.

8. Scandinavian Survivalist

Scandinavian Survivalist New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    Military Surplus is usually high quality and pretty cheap.

9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      300/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm cheap and I'll buy old tools if they still function as real tools.
    f6ecdec8ba301030d568813805fd6074.jpeg
    Look at the crate opening tool at the top far left and number 475 bottom center, a tad larger crate opening tool. I bought one of these and have gotten all manner of use out of it, especially using it to pull nails and to tap in small nails. Makes a great tiny pry bar / chisel. Takes up little space in tool box. I paid something like five or seven dollars for it, had to have it (marked 1909).

I use my father's tool box. Wooden with leather covering, held together with steel fittings. It's 70 years old at least. Still works fine. Over half my firearms are over 50 yr old; a couple are 100. They shoot fine. I've got a Stevens 520 (John Browning design) take-down pump shotgun in 20 ga. -- feels great, shoots fine.

I've had camouflage Swiss rain parkas last me decades. I can't begin to list all of the military surplus items I've used to good purpose.

10. TexDanm

TexDanm Master Survivalist
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I get some of my best treasures at garage sales and flea markets. I always especially keep my eyes open for older slightly rusty knives and old tools. Garage sales can be like finding the lost gold mines of legend every once in a while. I imagine when I am gone and my wife is gone my kids will have a garage sale like this. They have little concept of the value of many of my knives, weapons and tools much less my survival gear or craft tools.

I love the Old Hickory butcher knives. I clean them up and then use them for all sorts of things besides having a fully set of butcher tools. They are fairly heavy and make better hunting knives than stainless steel knives costing 10 times as much. Old hatchet heads are cheap and their quality is top shelf. With a little work and patience you can lighten them up and have a very nice bearded hatchet that works like a hawk.

11. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Its not cheap it wise to shop for old used tools better made of good quality material they last longer work better than most of the new got to have junk made today my tools are old passed down thrw family or found at fair price at yard sales flea markets sales ect my traps are very old from mygrandfather and father cared for used right they work just fine my beaver traps are at least 75 years old or older most of my traps are that old

12. TexDanm

TexDanm Master Survivalist
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I have an regularly use tools that are nearing a hundred years old. They used to make things to last almost forever if you would take care of them. I have fishing reels over a hundred years old that I still occasionally fish with and one that I fish with every week that I got for my 15th birthday 50 years ago.

What people nowadays don't comprehend is that as we made things so they required no maintenance we also limited their useful life. The old fans had oil cups and if you kept them oiled they lasted basically forever. Now they all have sealed permanently lubricated bearings that last a while and then die. This computerization of everything is asinine. Appliances used to last for decades. Now they are computerized, cost three times as much and last for 5 or 6 years.

When I am buying these old tools and things I'm not doing it because I can't afford new. I'm doing it because they were designed to last and are made even in the little parts that you don't see out of good material. I'm sorry but plastic over time gets brittle where metal is rigid and sturdy for decades. I still have and use my Dad's old all metal circular saw and hand drill. The only part that I've had to change is the cord.

Even when the parts that you can see are metal when you get inside you find plastic and pot metals that don't last. The old stuff didn't have any plastic because there wasn't any such thing when it was made.

13. Squirtgunsquirter

Squirtgunsquirter Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    Arachno, not sure if you are still around... but that kit is disposable. Honestly, why would you or I need that kit? There is nothing, not one single thing, in that SOL kit that I don't already have a better, more permanent version of. And you should to.

My thinking on kits like that.

As a car kit: I'm broken down on the road, with nothing but that kit. My map (I still carry a road Atlas) shows a town 20 miles north. Am I going to use the compass to strike out overland? The knife to cut campfire wood? Catch some fish along the way? No to all those things. You and I would both, I am willing to bet, walk two miles east to the nearest road running north to the town, and probably gratefully accept a ride if a kind soul happens by.

As a wilderness kit: What have I done? How did I get into this wilderness with only this kit? A pocket knife, 5 hooks, some tinder? The compass, eh, maybe, but I have a nice plate compass that was super cheap that I've had for years and years. What I am saying is, if I am heading off into the wilderness, or even looking to drive through an area where a breakdown is going to truly suck, I am taking my stuff. Then I have 2 down sleeping bags, a cook set, 3 ways to make fire, a sleeping pad, a tent, an actual useable saw, a machete, a camp knife, silverware... I'm probably going to be excited I broke down! Hell yeah, let's set up camp, I got coffee and baileys in here! All in one bag. Not a small bag, but it goes in any trunk, backseat, wherever. Totally doable.

The price difference between my stuff, and that kit: Absolutely no contest, I have hundreds of dollars worth of stuff in my bag. I chose to look for quality where I could. But my life is worth a few hundred. Hell my comfort and peace of mind are worth more than what I paid. It wasn't anywhere near thousands! 500, maybe? Over the course of a year, excepting a few small items.

I wish I could start some sort of movement, where survival suppliers and outdoor gear places stopped selling these kits, and taking advantage of people. I get that it is business, and they sell.

All of us here probably spend a fair amount of time out in the boonies. Or going places where a breakdown would really be a bad day. Anyone here ever pulled out one of these kits? Thank God I got this kit! And then you lived?

Old Geezer likes this.
  14. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I live in the boonies have all my life im the search and rescure officer for our area my hound and i have found many lost souls in this area my old matinace truck and me are the first call the police and sheriff patrols contact when someone is broke down in trouble with their car or truck. Most of the time the problem is that people come here unprepared tires i wouldnt have on my hay wagon hoses that have been on the car since it was new is a never ending story as to what you see. We refer to them as UP HERES. oh im up here from ________ Common sense is forgot because their up here for fun

Old Geezer likes this.
  15. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      300/345

Blog Posts:
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you sooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, can't get this smile off my face!!!!!!

As a kid worked a summer for the Forestry Service, Dept. of Agriculture. In one incident we had to rescue some idiot, his jeep, and equally-stupid girlfriend. Your post instantly reminded me of that >4-decades-old memory. Reminded me of the forest ranger's over-the-top anger at having to deal with that fool. Ha ha ha! ####-for-brains had taken his jeep down a foot path / ancient logging path, wet grass, slide-slide, a tree, one tree, saved their sorry lives by keeping his jeep (no roll bar) from doing a dozen roll-overs unto death (2/3 way up a 6000ft mountain in the Cherokee National Forest) -- 100 to 200 yards of very steep embankment. We had to wench them out of the predicament.

OneFoot likes this.