Got A New Hot Water Heater.....and Planning More...with Inflation In Mind

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by watcherchris, Jul 25, 2021.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    New Hot water heater...
    Today, 06:05 PM
    Finally got off my donkey today and went across town and picked up a new hot water heater to replace the one. I currently have though there is nothing wrong with the one I currently have.

The one I currently have I flushed it out and also replaced both heater elements in it.....and will flush it out again in about a month.

What I had done was reasoned to myself that with coming inflation...the price of these Items will not go down but up.

Hence I purchased this one today and put it in my garage. I will be getting flexible piping to help hook it up in due course..but for now I am satisfied to just get the heater.

I tried to get another 25 000 BTU window unit but they were sold out and not sure when they would get in more....seasonal. I am thinking.

I will go back or look other places to see what I have to do to get a replacement and put this new AC unit in my garage next to the new hot water heater...with the same rationale.

Thinking down the road with a new washer too....Dryers I can repair...not much to a dryer..and I have replaced the heater element in my dryer as well as a new belt...they are relatively simple compared to a washer...though I have repaired washers too.

A washing machine can surely test your vocabulary skills.

My non Ishmaelite thinking...

Watcherchris

2. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I do want to get that replacement AC unit and will be searching the web....but overall...am thinking about all of this with the coming inflation in mind....

Remember.....inflation is disguised taxation...

An Taxation is work you do for which you get no goods or services...no choices of your own...freedom and liberty...''

I don't care what they teach you about taxes in schools...the official government versions.....rubbish. That is the Ishmaelite version.

To someone who works, sweats, and takes risks for their monies....a tax is work you do for which you get no goods or services by your choices..by your liberties and or freedoms.

Let no one BS you on this one.....for the Ishmaelites will surely try.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes! Very smart move.

As I was saying in another post, we bought a decent used car (late model with warranty) that has a 4-cylinder engine. My SUV is over a decade old and is having issues, plus gas prices are headed up. the used car gets like 35 mi/gallon ... or more, if I could just keep my lead foot off the accelerator.

A few months back, we bought a new electric generator. My older one was perfectly OK, so I gave that one to one of my sons who lives in another state.

Inflation (and shrinkflation) is setting in and it will NOT dampen back down. The printers of the West are convulsively spewing-out streams of worthless fiat currency. If you hold wealth in the form of fiat "money", convert it into something real.

A water heater is a great example of durable goods. Water storage barrels, got them? You should. I recommend those that are around 15 gallon capacity. Larger ones get too heavy when full. I put spigots on ours for ease of pouring. Water weighs around 8 lb / gallon, so 8 x 15 = 120 lb.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=15+gallon+water+storage+tanks&atb=v140-1&iax=images&ia=images

The price of guns and ammunition have already skyrocketed out of reach. We preppers were prepared for that one.

My wife was talking to me this week about not being able to find our brand of tuna fish and how prices had gone up. Shoppers are getting slapped with ever-increasing prices no matter what Big Brother has to say.

If you find a good deal on durable goods, on survival equipment, grab it up right now! Remember that in the next very few years, all retirement accounts are likely to be wiped-out. So, buy what you need now. We are getting to the "too late in the game" mark.

A lot of weak people simply want to go on "being happy". Because of this, there are still some good deals out there for us preppers. When it hits the fan, it will be we who are happy.

[​IMG]

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  4. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Olde Geezer..

This week I have been hearing a number of fellows at work talking about their retirement accounts...and I am not sure many of them have a clue what is coming....and we would be hard pressed to convince them.

Via the web..history .... also ham radio....I became aware that in many countries which suffered huge inflation.....the government grabbed what liquidity they could from everyone , including retirement accounts, to keep going with their drunken whorish spending...on anything and everything...until they had eaten up the productive sector of the economy and it became impossible to sign long term contracts because no one knew what the money would buy next week...much less.....a year from now.

Remember when France was going down that road a few years back and many Frenchmen who could left... the country.....high taxes..on the rich??

When it gets that bad ...people stop doing what they are doing or they will take a loss if they don't. Simple economics grinds to a halt.

And that is where we are headed with such Ishmaelites at the helm....

I don't think the average American has a clue...

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    my insurance company asked that i replace my existing hot water tank as it was 12 years old. I could keep it but my deductible would go from $500 to $5000. so i change it myself to a new green model that would limit demand during peak hours, I got $100 off list price due to being green.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Have picked up the new 25,000 window AC unit I bought some time back .....for the same reasons I bought the new hot water heater and put it away....Inflation will cost more to replace in the coming months.

Was not expecting this unit to come in until some time early September...but glad to get it sooner..

Thinking about a new washing machine for the same reasons.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    TMT Tactical and Old Geezer like this.
  7. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm getting dental and medical work done while I can afford it. Getting the skin cancers and pre-cancers cut-off & burned off. Get them in-situ before they dig into the meat. I've been outdoors for so many decades that these are inevitable. Massive sun exposure also gave me early cataracts, so I've now new man-made eye lenses bilaterally. Hurrah! Without glasses, 20-20 vision in one eye -- how about that! Reading glasses for reading; multiple pairs.

This past year, I finally found a super-competent physician, G.P.. Big relief that; most won't work with you, won't hear your inputs ... even if you stick the "best practices" medical literature under their noses. Pride is one of the most unforgivable of sins and self-assurance leads to death -- worse yet, the death of your patients. People full of pride can all go die somewhere else as far as I'm concerned. Intelligence without wisdom and caring is meaningless.

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am elated this evening ...my labors are starting to pay off with my scooters.

I lost one of the bolts in my exhaust on my Honda Ruckus.

I fabricated one from an American Standard...5/16ths by 18 threads to the inch and one and a half inch long..

I rethreaded it to 8mm by 1.25 thread pitch.

We do this often in the shipyard...fix threads on bolts and nuts or replace them.

I installed this manufactured bolt into the exhaust system with some blue non hardening lock tight adhesive....known in some arenas as anaerobic compound...or simply in the blue formula available at most auto parts stores as the non hardening variety.

You do not want the fully hardening should you ever want to remove it. Some of that fully hardening sutff...is a bear to get out once it sets. Hence for most of my uses the blue non hardening is used by choice.

Also late this night...into Monday morning I have been out in my garage again working on my other scooter which has been laid up for about four months now. It would crank and not start/fire over.

Put an new ignition coil on it and it fired right up. Wow...I am elated to have all three scooters back on line.

So....I got three major projects squared away today ...

That AC unit..

My honda scooter repaired...

And also my Yamaha Zump back on line...

Now...I verily need to get off my donkey and cut my grass tomorrow. I did not want to mess with it at all on the weekend....

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Rode my newly repaired scooter across town today and ordered two new Ignition Coils for it and also two spark plug caps as well.

Decided to get off my donkey and get this done rather than put it off.

Purchased a new plastic lens for my helmet..this was long overdue....too many deep scratches in my olde one.
    These lenses have almost doubled in price over the years.

Also on the same trip I stopped by my source and purchased three real US silver dollars 90% fine silver and a pure silver one ounce Canadian Maple leaf....to but put away for a future day.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

1. Old Geezer
      Now all you need is a side-car for your beer!

Go U T ! ! !

[​IMG]

Old Geezer, Aug 14, 2021
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    The drop in the price of silver that occurred this past week I feel will be THE last drop in silver's price. Once this inflation kicks in, coupled with the end of the suppression of precious metals prices, will send silver screaming ever upward. ... Or should I say the collapsing value of the dollar will head ever downward.

Until things go Mad Max, silver will hold its value.

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL LOL LOL...Olde Geezer...that is a photo of a dressed up Honda Ruckus...which happens to be one of the scooters I ride..sans all the fancy stuff.

But nice photos...thanks...a very handsome adaptation to the mother of invention.

While I purchase silver when I can and have been doing it for some time now....I do not look forward to the collapse of the dollar under the designs of these Ishmaelite internationalists. For I know that has been the plan for some time now...many many many years....along with depopulation.

I am suspecting that when this happens...the new PM will be brass, lead, and copper...and not looking forward to that day as well.

For when that happens we will be over run with Ishmaelites....preying on others....entitlements et al.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Speaking of brass & other metals, one could stock up on brass cases, lead, and primers to make ammo in the future ... except that the prices of cartridge brass and primers has gone nuts along with this shortage.

We preppers have put such things back, but nobody else has.

Was at a gun store today and noticed that 9mm and 45 ammo was coming in. HOWEVER, the only ammo available was FMJ. PLUS, the prices were still exorbitant to the max. Oh, did see some .308 coming back; also, they had two brands of target .308. Shocking was that .30 carbine was at $50 / 50 rnds. The store had NO .38 nor .357 ammo. Here's a winner, 50 rnds of .32 S&W Long was over $40/box -- holy crap!.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Went to the gun club in the middle of last night and shot some .22 LR and also my Kimber .45ACP.

First thing I saw when I stepped into the range building to sign in was a cart with bags of brass on it.

There was some .257 Roberts, Lots of .40 S&W, and plenty of 9mm. None of this of which I was interested.

Kept all the .45ACP I shot up and a few that others had overlooked and left.

Have one bag of .45 ACP which I purchased from the gun club the last trip I made so I am sitting on some 500 cases of spent .45ACP. Also sitting on that bag of 300 cases of brass 7.62 x 39mm cases.

Agree...preppers tend to put back such things.

Also thanks for the heads up on ammo prices as I have not bought any in some time now.

Were I to buy any it would be .22 shorts for domestic uses around here and those are more difficult to find than are .22LR.

Fortunately I have some three boxes put back of .22 Short...100 each...from some years ago. I knew back then to get it where and when I could as it is not found many places...and not in quantity.

Hence your assessment is correct..

My next range trip is to shoot my Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 Winchester which has to this day not been shot by me.

I have procrastinated on this task for way too long now....over a year.

Worried about this administration sending some 3000 troops back into Afghanistan...in the light of are we looking at another Benghazi or Mogadishu taking place with their textbook leftist efficiency. Leaving our people out there with no back up.

That would destroy our marketplace...confidence....confidence in America.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    are gun clubs there unlocked overnight? sounds like bad security.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Each member has a key set. One should of course lock-up one's own firearm if left at the the range. People here do not normally keep their firearms at the gun club. Were state or federal government to require that we keep our firearms locked at some firearms storage area, that act would instantly set-off a shooting civil war.

Old Geezer, Aug 15, 2021
  15. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Responding to WChris post

Kimber .45 -- Wow, I'm envious.

.257 Roberts -- What a great cartridge. What a shame it didn't become a standard. Of course the .243 being a necked-down .308, that really made the .243 the #1 contender in that firearms category.

Instead of .22 shorts, you could go with .22 LR reduced velocity. There's the subsonic ammo; however there are other loadings that are VERY subsonic -- y'know like 750 fps. Then, there are the CB Cap long .22s.

Shooting a short in a long chamber makes for a long bullet leap from case to rifling. Sometimes this adversely affects accuracy. Using a full length case but lowered powder charge gets one accuracy at low velocity. I tell you what, I've fired some of these VERY reduced velocity loads and I've been able to hear the firing pin hit the case (with my right ear, my left ear is rather shot-out) -- that's how little report is given-off. These puppies are quiet. I mean, hey let's face it, just how much energy is required to off a squirrel! I've never understood the .22 hyper-velocity rounds except for varmint control. Yes the fast ammo is flatter shooting, but hey boys and girls, are we taking-out squirrels at 100 yards -- no, I've always been under a tree shooting up into its branches.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about. Several manufactures have these. I'm just going to put up a picture of the CCI offering, "Qiet-22 Segmented HP, 710 fps":

[​IMG]

Then there are the CB Caps:

upload_2021-8-15_12-59-37.png

The bullets in these cartridges are only 29 gr in weight, plus they are sent-out at low velocity. Their purpose is low to no noise and low tissue damage to meat critters. Shoot a squirrel with a hyper-velocity hollow point and you just might have little to eat. And too, do you want its guts splattered all over the once-edible meat -- NO.

Here's the complaint I've heard about CB caps, they are not as accurate as people would want them to be. Me, I've never grouped these things. I've only used CB caps for shooting tin cans.

I think an excellent ammunition for hunting would be Eley target ammunition which is of course sub-sonic. Eley is expensive, however when you pull the trigger on this stuff, you hit exactly that at which you are aiming. Accurate properly sighted-in rifle + Eley ammo = meat in the pot.

upload_2021-8-15_13-7-21.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Olde Geezer....

Thanks for that update on .22 LR type ammo. I do have a few .22 longs here somewhere but have not shot any of them.

I like these .22 shorts for putting down racoons caught in these types of foot traps baited with a marshmallow.

Duke Dog Proof Foot-Hold Animal Trap For Raccoons 1 pk - Ace Hardware

These seem to work well around here without catching a lot of local pets....and then I put them down up close with a .22 short from my Rossi Pump or my lever .22 Henry rifle both of which will handle shorts, longs, or long rifles.

These shorts make little noise ...not much louder than clapping your hands so this works out fine.

When you get a big male you need to put them down quickly as they have quite an attitude...and one needs to adjust it down quickly ..and respectfully.

Oh...and this is the model Kimber I purchased out around Lyndhurst Virginia at a convenience store....

Kimber America | Custom TLE II

I like this store off route 664 near Sherando Lake....Mt Torey Rd.. ..B&R Grocery Convenience Store

This convenience store happens to have a gun and or archery store in the back of it...and is run by an Ex Norfolk policeman retired. I salivated immediately when I saw it in the case...and suddenly the force was weak....the force was not with me...and I walked out with it. I tell you Olde Geezer...when I saw her in the case...my jaw fell open in awe .....and the force immediately went weak.

It does shoot very nice....very accurate....

I have taken it apart and next to it my other 1911 and you can see and feel the difference in the machine fit of the Kimber...but that is for what one is paying in accuracy. I've not put many rounds through it to date...probably not over 100 rounds so she is not yet broken in.

However....one significant difference in the fit of this Kimber and my other 1911...in that the Kimber will not feed cast bullets...the fit is so tight. My other 1911...will feed cast bullets fine.

Even that pin in the side...which holds in the slide and barrel...it is noticeably tighter than my other 1911.

I like it out there just outside of Waynesboro....in the mountains...and I live here on the coast...go figure..

It is very peaceful out there.

There is a nice stocked pond in a little town across from the Post Office in a place called Montebello....

Good eating Freshwater Trout....

Like to rent a cabin for a weekend sometimes at a place called Cabin Creekwood..but the lockdown has significantly hurt their business and they have had to sell some of their cabins...sad....

But it is beautiful up there....and as I stated...the irony is that I am on the coast and many people pay good money to come down here to see the sea...Ironic to me....I want to go the other way. LOL LOL LOL....too crowed during the season here at the beach.

I reckon I am not that social...to enjoy a lot of crowds.....not for me thanks.

Have cleaned the three guns....the Kimber...the Beretta Jaguar target pistol and the Heritage Arms 9 shot .22 LR....and have them back on the ready line. Will reload the .45 ACP cases later down the road.

Oh...by the way...agree with you on the .243...

All the articles I've read ...the 257 Roberts is no slouch....but I know I can reform .243 cases from .308 cases and have so done....they work fine.

Now that I have the air conditioner and hot water heater taken care of...I am researching a new washing machine with the same rationale....inflation.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Believe it or not, I know where Lake Sherando is located. Up on the mountain directly above that valley is Wintergreen Resort, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. I've put a'many thousand miles on several cars/trucks driving the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Old Geezer, Aug 16, 2021
      watcherchris likes this.
  17. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Oh...and before I forget......Olde Geezer...

Yes..Indeed...both Eli and a brand called Foicchi in target .22 LR ammo is popular at our gun club.
    This ammo is not inexpensive...but it is noticeably consistent...and again it is this consistency for which one pays in target ammunition.

The Rifles used by many of the .22 LR target shooters are beautiful works of art and machinery.

It took me some time to get comfortable with how much monies some people will put into a .22LR rifle to get accuracy...and they are very accurate....even down to the Ammo they are shooting.

Bright colorful stocks and stainless steel bull floating barrels...some of these rifles look more like brightly decorated race cars than rifles..but they sure can shoot.

Some of these people keep their targets in a little book like catalogue...like baseball cards...50 yard targets with extremely close groupings...date...time...ambient conditions et al. It can be quite an operation/system with some of these shooters.

But you know ...the most exotic thing I have seen a this gun club...is a rifle barrel/action...mounted...bolted to a steel beam...a heavy stainless barrel....clamped to the bench so as to take out all the human factor....and just read the wind...wind flags..

A bit too much for my preference in shooting..but interesting nonetheless.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Some will spend a small fortune for 22lr accuracy. I stumbled upon a gentleman with a benchrest that may have cost more than my entire weapons collection. The benchrest was a beautiful blend of mechanics and style. Micro adjustment for both windage and elevation. Stainless steel slide for recoil and clamps to lock down the firearm. Once set, the shooter could place 5 shots in the same hole at 50 yards. A truly beautiful work of art. But like WC, way too pricey for me.

watcherchris likes this.
  19. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    JP Morgan: "We Could Be Just Weeks Away From Cushing Effectively Running Out Of Crude"

https://www.zerohedge.com/commodities/jpm-we-could-be-just-weeks-away-cushing-being-out-crude

"Back in April 2020, the landlocked West Texas Intermediate crude oil price briefly crashed into negative territory - a stunning turn of events that cost traders massive losses - when the spot oil market found itself with an unprecedented glut as there was literally too much oil to be stored, and as such those traders who were assigned delivery would pay others just to take the physical oil off their hands. Well, in just a few weeks we may see the opposite scenario: no physical oil at all in the largest US commercial storage facility, leading to what may be a superspike in the price of oil.

"In a note predicting the near-term dynamics of the oil market, JPMorgan's commodity Natasha Kaneva writes that in a world of pervasive nat gas and coal shortages which are forcing the power sector to increasingly turn to oil (boosting demand by 750bkd during winter and drawing inventory by 2.1mmb/d in Nov and Dec), Cushing oil storage - which just dropped to 31.2mm barrels, the lowest since 2018

"Before we get into the meat of the note, first some background which as usual these days, begins with Europe's catastrophic handling of its energy needs.

"As JPM notes, the heating season of 2021/2022 is opening with record high global gas prices even as cold winter weather has yet to arrive. Such are the quirks of the natural gas market that, when/if cold winter arrives, demand for gas tends to outpace any source of supply. In the US alone, in a given week in winter, natural gas demand can surge by 50-70 bcf, if not more, with limited response from supply. The situation is so dire at the moment that - JPMorgan observes - 'finding even 1 bcf of spare capacity is becoming increasingly difficult.'

"... Russia is not currently planning to ship additional gas to Europe at least until Nord Stream 2 is fully authorized."

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Lonewolf....

My apologies as I seem to have missed this in your previous post.

Good question.

The club to which I am a member has video cameras about ...as well as inside.

Also the outdoor range is closed at night...but the indoor range is 24/7 and my member badge is a proximity reader and gives you access to the club...by swiping your badge in the electronic reader.

You have to use your badge to get into the club grounds and then again to gain access to the club house and indoor range.

The outdoor range, when Open in the daytime, requires a range officer. Not so in the indoor range...and it is open 24/7 with the security proximity badge reader.

I have been known to go to the club and not even shoot....but merely to converse...in particular with the Olde Timers and their knowledge of firearms and especially reloading techniques/advice.

Also some of the Olde Timers have fascinating stores about where they have been and what they have experienced..

And now you know the rest of the story.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.