Grocery Stores Empty As Hurricane Harvey Heads For Texas

Discussion in 'Urban Survival' started by Old Geezer, Aug 24, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Grocery stores empty as hurricane Harvey heads for Texas.

http://a57.foxnews.com/images.foxne...e.img.jpg/612/344/1503614986463.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Everybody knows that groceries go empty when disaster even threatens to strike. Just providing a photo and the news of such to remind everyone of how their unprepared panicky neighbors behave.

https://www.infowars.com/hurricane-harvey-chaos-customers-fight-as-stores-sell-out-of-water/

Here are some Christmas shoppers fighting:
    https://www.usnews.com/dims4/USNEWS....com/bb/453b894b672284727e116cb81284be/1278-5

Think about when world currencies begin to topple. People don't prepare until the last moment, then they panic. After that, they begin losing their minds, their humanity.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good post, thank you.
    Keith.

3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    As the panic sets in its best to be gone and prepared for a storm or shtf what ever its simple to prepare do without the latest got to have fad and buy food colthing stuff you will need to survive what ever comes

4. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm watching the news now with ppl scrambling for supplies. It's just another preview of what we are already aware of.
    As I sip my coffee in my easy chair I make my own mental.check list. No panic. I'm set & ready.

Old Geezer and Keith H. like this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    People are just totally weird. I'm over 60 miles north of Houston and people here are buying everything in sight! I really don't understand this obsession that people seem to have with bottled water. They have water in their homes now. Why not just fill up a bunch of jugs. That is what we always do. We also have 15,000 gallons in the pool for flushing and 1500 in the cistern but nonetheless water is water. It doesn't have to be BOTTLED water to make it the only water to have. Fill your tub even!

I guess what it is is that I always have saved gallon jugs. I know that they have a lot of uses so it doesn't have to be a last minute thing to find them and fill them. I always have extra water on hand because the rural water company that provides our water is crappy and the water goes off pretty often and then has a boil water notice until the pipes are purged.

Food and a way to cook it is well covered that is another thing that people are grabbing. Propane and gas stoves are gone as is the fuel. I saw a lady today that must have had 25 pounds of beans in her shopping cart. She had a sort of panicked manic look on her face so I just let her fly by me. I was there to buy some shrimp. We fried shrimp tonight. I think that I was the only person that was there just buying normal stuff.

If we get 3 feet of rain I'm going to be sitting on top of my hill eating good and having a pretty good time even if the power goes off.

Tumbleweed and Old Geezer like this.
  6. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    The products for which I'm going to provide links I'm not recommending, promoting, or advocating. I just found them quickly on the web and they make for good-enough examples of what I'm talking about. Indeed, this stuff is mighty expensive. I myself have found and kept food-quality water containers that my place of work was simply going to toss out -- what a waste! Today I brought home two huge bags of tea and lemonade that had been provided by a lunch caterer. Yep, they were going to be wasted! Can't have that!

The following liter bottles would be good for bug-out purposes and a water filter fits on the openings:
    https://www.amazon.com/Survivor-Fil...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=E6B8NV21S16R36N6QXSZ

I have a few of the following 15 gal plastic drum water containers. I sure didn't pay what these folk are asking.
    https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...VjT2BCh1V0gArEAQYASABEgJi7vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Keep your 2 liter drink containers. Fill them, freeze them. Thaw if in need of water. If getting old in freezer, take them to the rifle range for practice. If going to fill them later, clean them thouroughly, dry them, then collapse them for future filling -- the collapsing is to allow more bottles to be stored in a given space.

7. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    Water is a primary vital resource. For anyone who us dependant on a supply than can & will be unavailable after an event, I can understand the panic.
    For those who can source alternate water supplies, the panic looks ridiculous.
    This brings me to my plans for my hand pumping rig. A 3" PVC coupler fits perfectly into a 4" pipe with just enough clearance to not bind. Sealed with o-rings I think I can make a piston pump that can draw fresh water out of an existing well. And never be without.

8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    One thing about it. We have ALL the water we want right now in East Texas.

9. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    STAY out of the flood waters and if you get in it keep your hands away from your face then wash with sanitizer ASAP. This is especially important in more rural areas where you have septic systems. I'm here to tell you. If things ever go down and stay down the cities are going to be open cesspools and typhoid and chorea are going to wipe the people out!!