Guinea Fowl

Discussion in 'Animal Husbandry' started by Xilkozuf, Jul 18, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    I haven't seen any topic about those birds. They are from Africa but here in Italy they are pretty well established. I don't know if in other part of the worlds they are known or raised, but they are pretty good birds for husbandry.

aae42cf03f6c82bb6c96460a40b66f6b.jpeg

Most of the time they are raised for their meat, very very rarely for the eggs.
    They need a covered shelter (or else they would fly away, but soem people cut part of their wings), and an outdoor area to graze. What they need to eat depends on their age. When they are pretty young forage seed will be enough, but as they grow up they will need corn and, most important, veggies and herbs, grass. Those should never be missing from their diet.
    And based on what I saw they are perfectly fine living with chickens.

2. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    We had Guineas for a while; but we didn't eat them, and we didn't get any eggs from them either. The incessantly squawked and chirped, and made noise every minute that they were awake, it seemed like.
    We got them at the auction, and we ended up taking them all back to the auction and selling them again.
    Even though they could and did fly, they mostly just wandered around , eating bugs and making noise. They actually would go quite a ways away from the house, and clear up to the neighbor's house sometimes; but they always came back home and slept in their roost. They got along fine with the chickens, and even with the peacock, and they probably would have been fine to eat had we tried eating one of them.
    I think that they would make a good farm fowl because they can fly and get away from any surprise predator, they were great at hunting bugs and grasshoppers, and they always came home to roost at night. I have no clue what the eggs would taste like, but I would think that would be okay, too.

3. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    We kept Guinea fowl for a while, they're delicious and their eggs are fantastic. A creamier texture the hens eggs. They're excellent at finding for themselves and will clear your fields of ticks better then anything else.

4. Maria_C

Maria_C New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Repping Africa here. They are common here. They are raised for eggs as well. Their eggs are sweater than the normal agric chickens. More organic too. They are one hell of clever animals.

5. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    I imagined they are common there since it's their homeplace! We just imported them, both in Europe and USA, for farming.
    I don't know if it's the same for other places, but here a few are not tamed and live in freedom in the wilderness... They are not that common as the one in farms, but there are quite a bit of them in some areas.