Handgun, A.k.a Survival Short Rifle

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Old Geezer, Nov 16, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    For compactness, many use a short rifle. Shorter yet, why not just go with a handgun? Survivalists should consider these as valid, useful tools for their preparations.

For small whitetail deer, they are great. Many use them on hogs and even large game.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Here's a video of a young man excited about his first deer-kill with a revolver:

West Virginia w/.357

Then theyz hawgs:

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Thompson vs. buck

Field-dressing and butchering the deer

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Being a nostalgia nut, I've a penchant for revolvers. That said, I own several automatics (plus spare magazines for all of'em). When you need capacity and ready-reloadability, you'll want/need an automatic. Now that felons have stolen their way into having automatics, we need them also. Post SHTF, gangs of nationals and/or gangs of migrants will be out plundering -- once they get finished stealing everything they can in the urban areas. Even if we live in nowheresville, post-SHTF, many locals who we imagined were civilized will go decidedly uncivilized and begin stealing that for which they failed to store. Hunger is an unimaginably powerful motivator.

For preppers, concealability isn't the big reason for needing a handgun, maneuverability is. You are working the garden, or working in your cramped workshop (like me this weekend; got too much stuff jammed in there = no room for me), wherever/whatever, a rifle or shotgun just isn't handy. We need an instantly accessible weapon, i.e. a decently-powerful handgun to allow you to drive off / neutralize assailants long enough for you to get to your more powerful long arms. One of my great-grandfathers had to carry a rather heavy hogleg revolver while plowing his fields -- this, due to a feud.

Preppers need firearms in the categories of rifle, handgun, and shotgun. Post SHTF, people are going to go crazy and unfortunately, these aggressors are going to come in on us in plundering mode.

I found the following two videos. Thought I'd share.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. TMT Tactical
      Good info. I carry a 9mm Glock clone (PSA Dagger). It is a compact with 15 +1 capacity. It goes everywhere I go, all the time. I even carry at home. The only time it leaves my side if for trips to the bathroom and when I go to bed. It is still within reach. With that being said, I also own a semiauto shotgun and several long guns, in various calibers. You need the right tool of the right job.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
      TMT Tactical, Dec 4, 2023
  5. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    by Olde Geezer...

I heard this basic outline from an Israeli on line who was at one time a policeman.

I asked him why the Israelis preferred the M1 Carbine. What he states was maneuverability..the ability to quickly get into and out of a vehicle with it.

Until the advent of these short barreled M4 carbines ...the M1 Carbine was the choice for Israeli policemen in their vehicles.

This also explains why Israel has so much M1 carbine ammo for sale.

I found that conversation Interesting and informative.

Oh...and I verily like my Thompson Contender pistol in 5 different barrel calibrations.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. TMT Tactical
      The Thompson Contender is an excellent firearm for it's intended usage. The versatility of calibers makes it a good choice for hunting. I would consider it a poor choice for self defense due to it's limited ammo capacity and size. Too large to conceal carry and being a single shot, it takes too long to reload. Again it comes down to the right tool for the right job. The Contender is reliable and accurate and provides many caliber options. This firearm is a good selection when ammo options / availability is limited.

TMT Tactical, Dec 4, 2023
      watcherchris likes this.
  6. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Many deer hunters in the thick forests around here in the Southern Appalachian mountains hunt with handguns. They are handy and safe when climbing up into tree stands and climbing back down. Carbine-sized lever-action rifles are popular for the same reason. There are precious few long shots while hunting deer in these mountains. If you have a farmer's permission to hunt across pasture land, maybe you'll get a longer shot. Good luck with getting that permission ... they and their cousins might hunt that pasture; but hey, you're an outsider. Ranchers have both long rifles and carbines. The carbines and magnum handguns are for traveling on horses, off-road motorcycles, and off-road contraptions of every ilk (I've seen some bazaar welded-up vehicles).

Here's a commercially available off-road vehicle. However, these are too expensive, so the locals cut-up existing old vehicles and weld something together for farm use and for getting back up in the mountains. If you are navigating in these mountains even valley forests, you'll need a roll cage. Flip and you're crushed without roll bars. Had a cousin have a tractor flip over on him. Didn't kill him. He was one BIG fellow, though -- difficult to kill. (I've lost touch with my kin. I wonder if he's still alive. Those with whom I was close, are all dead now, only graves to visit.)

upload_2023-12-4_18-36-2.png

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.