Have You Ever Been Attacked By Any Animal?

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by WildSpirit, Jul 6, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Wow! :eek: Are you a kind of exterminator or somethinf or similar? LOL! :D

2. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    It's good to know that. :) But... Do you still like dogs? :D Or do you prefer to stay away from them? :rolleyes:

3. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    No I just hunt and eat the meat from the animals I hunt or use the skins

jeager likes this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Wildspirit do you eat meat

5. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I haven't been attacked by an animal, and I pray I never am. I would hate that so much. I know a woman in this general area was attacked by a rabid raccoon and had to kill it with a shovel. I would probably have a heart attack. I would hate that so much.

6. streettallest

streettallest New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    I have come in close contact with a wold pig deep in the forest. I was so lucky I escaped the attack to tell the story. I grew up in a semi urban area, do it was the custom there to go into the wood for fire wood. But after my encounter with the wild pig, I have been very scared to go deep into the wood again for whatever.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    Had a couple of big pikes snapping for my fingers and got bit by a scary rabbit once :eek: Reached my hand down a hole to see if I could grab him by his ears and bang. The beast had gotten taste for human blood. I won the battle tough with a scar to remind me. You can almost see it if Im sunburnt and the light is just right. Maybe I should get a dragonslayer tattoo ;)

8. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I wonder why dogs hate you so much Billa, they're supposed to be man's best friend but they also have an almost supernatural sense of who to trust and not to trust.
    I've been around dogs all my life and while I've had the occasional hurt bite from tending an injured dog I wouldn't say that any of them actually attacked me. Maybe I'm just more likeable.

jeager likes this.
  9. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:

Bawwwwwwwww-hawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww:D:D:D

r.o.t.f.l.m.a.o...............................choke, sputter, gasp, gawww-fawwwwwwwwwwwwww.

THAT WAS PRICELESS.:p

10. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    :D Only kidding

11. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    321,605,012/800,000 = 402 (approx) so one in 402 people get bitten by dogs???
    Someone check my math. That sounds like a lot of dog bites.
    The current population of the U.S. is about 321,605,012 (2015).

In 2012, a total of about 78 million dogs lived in households in the United States as pets.

That figure does not include outside dogs like hunting hounds, or service dogs, or...............
    so there a a LOT of mans best friend in this country.

Sadly there are many countries where dogs are dinner. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

12. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Years ago when hunting wild boar I got run up a tree by a really ticked off boar.
    They can't see for crap so it ran off.
    I shot it. .35 Remington Marlin lever action, 200 grain soft point.
    Bang flop.
    They taste awful so I never shot another. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    Took son, then 15, to Florida for wild boar. He got one too!
    It tasted awful.
    I miss that Marlin. Another that I let go and regret it. I don't get shed of ANY firearms these
    days unless I can trade to my advantage. :D

13. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Maybe I already posted but people DUMP cats and dogs on my country place.
    I hate that because they quickly turn feral.
    I have to shoot them on site.
    I've called the animal control officer and he said "shoot 'em. How can I catch them in the woods."
    He's right of course.
    It's even illegal to permit a dog to run at large in Ohio.
    They attack and kill sheep and calves and are deadly to defenseless fawns.

14. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Christ you must be really old, that training technique went out with the arc because it's proven that it doesn't work as well as reward focussed training. Btw I also dislike poachers almost as much as rustlers.....its just another description of a thief with a gun.

15. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Maybe I already posted but people DUMP cats and dogs on my country place.
    I hate that because they quickly turn feral.
    I have to shoot them on site.
    I've called the animal control officer and he said "shoot 'em. How can I catch them in the woods."
    He's right of course.
    It's even illegal to permit a dog to run at large in Ohio.
    They attack and kill sheep and calves and are deadly to defenseless fawn

16. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Well said.
    Twice I had to get a gun and get rid of PACKS of dogs that stupid azzes dumped in my area and
    they packed up and weren't pretty Fido any longer.

There was some t-v series on years ago about a "doomsday" event of some sort resulting
    in a break down of social structure.
    Survivors faced packs of "pets" gone feral that attacked at ate survivors, especially children.
    If there is a shtf and "Fido" can't be cared for properly then shoot it.
    Can't shoot your pet nor take care of it? Have someone else shoot it.
    Harsh? Sure but so is survival.
    I read an article about letting "pet dogs" run at large. I've forgotten how many lambs, calves,
    chickens, etc. are estimated to be killed by "pet" dogs.
    When I was a kid dad raised rabbits and kept them in metal wire cages.
    One morning dad found almost ALL torn to pieces by dogs running at large.

17. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:

I learned a VERY hard lesson about cute l'il dogs.
    Someone gave us a male Cocker that wasn't fixed. Little did I know it was MEAN.
    Bit my daughter, now 38, in the FACE when she was 4.
    She endured TWO facial surgeries and bears a small scare to this day. Good thing it's
    hardly noticible.
    I shot the %amned thing in the head AFTER I waited the 10 days to be sure it really did
    have shots and it wasn't rabid.
    Think I learned???????? Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    A guy gave me a male doberman that wasn't fixed swearing it was gentile as falling snow.
    NOT!
    I gave it to a guy that said he never saw a dog he couldn't make docile.
    It ran his kids up a tree tearing their clothes off but they were o.k.
    HE gave the dog to a farmer who thought he could "cure" a mean dog.
    It nearly KILLED him.
    The cops shot it.
    In a shtf dogs will be dumped and WILL go feral as they pack up to run down and eat
    anything they can.
    I love dogs. At the moment my brute is a 6 pound Maltese. :D
    Gorgeous and loves every one.:p
    IF I could only get the l'il monster house broken.:rolleyes:

18. AlexanderPain

AlexanderPain Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    Nope. I did get bit by what I suspect was a flounder once, but it didn't break skin. I accidentally stepped on it out in the surf at the beach and it definitely nipped at the back of my calf as it was leaving.

19. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This is rather odd to me. I have always been a bit of a dog whisperer but never really thought much about it. Animals of all kinds seem to like me pretty well. I was country raised and have always been around all sorts of animals and handled them from roosters with attitude issues through longhorn bulls that wanted to act pushy. Not once in my entire life have I been "attacked". I got nipped once by a sneaky little bitch but she ran immediately afterwards so it wasn't what I would call an attack.

I think that there is something in certain people that makes them sort of easy for animals to be comfortable with. I think that it is something that you are born with and it can't really be learned. On many occasions I have been able to sit down with dogs that their owners were even afraid of and make friends with them. In part I think that it is a total lack of fear and that allows me to react differently when an animal acts aggressive. A dog seldom actually bites with their first grab. Usually they just sort of grab you. If you try to pull away they hold on tighter and you end up bleading. If a dog grabs my arm I don't move and they seem puzzled by this. If you don't pull away it really isn't very painful except when it is a puppy. When I walk up to a dog I will usually offer it an arm or hand and sometimes they grab. Then they spit it out and look at me. If I leave my hand there they will usually lick it and then we are friends. On a couple of occasions they grabbed me a couple of times before they gave up and decided I was ok but not once have they proceeded to attack me.

I have done much the same with cattle, horses and hogs. I had an uncle that actually had a badger for a pet and he was like me. He had wolves, badgers, skunks, possums, and doves that were wild that became his pets/friends. LOL, Stinky the lady skunk disappeared for a couple of weeks once and when he saw the skunk walk up on his porch he went out and picked it up. It wasn't Stinky and he got sprayed. When Stinky came home a few days later she got a pretty pink collar so you could for sure tell Stinky from other skunks.

The doves were actually his wife's pets. She could sit out in the yard and they would come to her. She seemed to have something with the birds that was like her husband and I had with most mammals. Actually I guess I have it with most reptiles too. Gators don't bother me and I've swam and messed with them my entire life. Actually gators are pretty shy and non-aggressive if you leave their babies alone and don't crowd a bull during mating season.

Actually the only animal in my entire life that was just evil and wouldn't be friends was a shetland pony that I rode when I was little. That was the meanest animal that I have ever dealt with. He would try to bite you, step on your feet, blow up when you saddled him and then blow out when you tried to get in the saddle and the saddle would just slide over and under him or run under a limb to knock you off his back if you didn't watch him constantly!!

I think that part of it is that I like animals in general. I do hunt and fish but then animals hunt too. I sort of deal with them as equals rather than from an entitled above them perspective. It has always worked for me.

Ystranc likes this.
  20. Travis.s

Travis.s Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    I have been attacked by by people who can be worse then any animal.
    But I was also attacked by a dog when I was a teen doing a door to door charity drive walked up a drive way and didn't even make it to the door before the dog hit me barely saw it coming. Went straight for the throat but got my arm in the way good thing it was fall and had a thicker coat on but It was ripped to pieces. Good thing my golden retriever wanted to tag along with me.
    Later learned that the dog was trained to do that and owner forgot to leash the dog.

21. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    was attacked by a dog once whilst I was on my motorbike, it ripped my trousers and got a boot in the chops for its trouble.

22. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    Been bitten by dogs on my motorbike a few times.

Went up hiking and walked between a black bear sow and tree that had two cubs up it. Dogs luckily chased the sow before she saw me and I was able to get back to the truck.

Guy picking mushrooms just up the mountain from me this year startled a grizzly bear. Bear grabbed him by the leg and tossed him around before he was able to get to the bear spray. Luckily that scared the bear away but the guy ended up getting spray blown back into him. Can’t get more unlucky get chewed on and bear spray in the face. He ended up being good only puncture wounds on his legs and arms.

23. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't call it an attack but I had a problem with a dog running out and trying to grab my leg when I would go by on my motorcycle. I tried to talk to the owner but he was stupid. I felt sorry for the dog but a few nights later I put a towel under a lug nut on the rear of my car and drove by. The dog grabbed the towel and it snapped his neck. I had a friend that wrecked because a dog grabbed him on his bike.

I like critters. If you understand them and their ways you don't have many problems with them. This is true of most things. We were camping a couple of weeks ago and suddenly my daughter in law and granddaughter were running and screaming. A swarm of bees had decided to set up house keeping on a low limb of the tree beside our camp. there were hundreds of them and shortly they had settled and there was a ball the size of a football of bees on that limb. I've helped with bees before and gathered in a lot of swarms over the years . I wanted my Granddaughter to see that bees are actually nice little critters if you understand them. I took her and then eased my hand gently into the ball and felt around until I found the queen. When I pulled my hand away the swarm came with it. Her eyes were big as saucers LOL. I carried the swarm down the trail a little bit and settled them into another nice place. I didn't get a single sting. That is about typical for handling a swarm of bees. It is all in knowing what makes them tick. Dogs are much the same as are cattle, horses, pigs and goats though I will say that a billy goat never misses a chance to butt you in the ass and shetland ponies are EVIL!!!

Ystranc likes this.
  24. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    As a boy, I got climbed a couple of times by dogs.

I've wondered at times: Shoot the dog? or Shoot the owner?

Quoting my Dad, "Shoot'em through the lungs, boy. They'll go off somewheres else to die." He was talking about dogs ... at least I'm pretty sure about that. His dad put some lead through a man's scrote.

Friend of mine was big into bicycle competition; long distance racing and racing up mountains. He's out with a pack of other bicycle racers to include one fellow who was a cop off-duty. They are out in rednecksville riding the county roads. OK, I was raised without any kind of silver spoon in my mouth and so if I call someone a redneck, that person is indeed a certifiable redneck. Mr. Redneck opens the gate around his shack and sets his junkyard dog onto the bicycle fellows. Dog closes in on the cop. Cop draws his .357 and nukes the dog. Dog owner was upset, however he did NOT get into his pick'em'up'truck and chase them down.

Range-master of county Sheriff's Dept range who'd worked the county jail told us that every single time he'd used stream or fog mace or pepper-spray on the inmates, the stuff had gotten back on him.

I was talking to a young woman about self-defense pepper sprays and foggers. Supposedly she was very intelligent. Maybe like two weeks+ go by. She comes up to me and sez something about how horrific the spray is. Me, "What?" Seems she bought herself some spray, then in a fit of intellectual curiosity (other descriptive words spring to my mind) sprayed some straight up and then walked through it to see if it was effective. It was.

25. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    That is part of the training for a lot of jobs. You just don't understand how effective it is until you experience it. In a prison they gas places all the time and you have to be able to deal with the over spray and back flush. So they run the guards through the stuff in training so they will know what to expect.

The sad thing about having to put a dog down is that usually if you were going to do the right thing you would shoot the owner first and then see if the dog was salvageable. In general a dog will return what he has been given. If you treat it like crap it will be mean. That is all it ever knew. In general bad dogs come from mean stupid owners that should never be allowed to have dogs or kids.

26. swamppapa

swamppapa New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    define "attack" bluff charge? physical contact? injured?
    Injured , domestic pigs, domestic cattle, domestic dogs and cats. domestic horse, domestic goats and sheep, chickens (seeing a pattern?)
    bumped, moray eel and all the above
    bluff charge, wild mink ( ran past me to the water) bison (on a bridge) , deer( box draw wanted out )

I've stepped in steamy bear poop been circled by coyotes

Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  27. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Attacked: Having sustained injuries, OR having fought off an attack without injuries, OR having been attacked but escaped from injury by avoiding the charge/attack.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL! Occupational hazards.
    So far in life I've been bit by a raccoon, coyote, gray fox, weasel, Canada geese, mute swan, great horned owl, feral cat, several domestic dogs, rattlesnake (dry bite), water moccasin (fangs hung up in hip waders), water monitor, Burmese python.

Now attacked as defined by Keith H.

That would include a black bear, bison, whitetailed deer, coyote, bobcat, mountain lion, Asian leopard, king cobra, bamboo viper, Bengal tiger, tiger shark, alligator, ground hog, wild boar and one angry red roo.

It's been a fun ride.

Dale

29. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    When I was a service tech, I had a pair of dobermans back me out of a yard once. NOTE: Do not turn and run, they will attack. I backed up all the way. When I just turned my head, they attempted to attack. Maintain eye contact. Close the gate behind you.

30. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Wildspirit and all,

Was at the water line on a near offshore oil rig. My wrists and hands were in the water pulling on a line attached to some preserver.

Was approached by a reef shark. The approach ended when I justified an immediate coffee break.

Forget the Great Whites and the Short Fin Makos. The Reef Sharks are as sly as, well, as a fox.

31. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes..........I have been attacked many times. Mostly bears and bees or wasps.

32. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have been chased by dogs. Fortunately I was young enough that I escaped. Had to jump and sit on top of a wall one time out of reach. Had a few encounters with rattlesnakes, copperheads, and black snakes, but was never bitten. I guess I have been more fortunate than most.

33. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    OR maybe a bit more aware of your surrounding. You knew where to find that wall.

Morgan101 likes this.
  34. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    I will include everything--animals, reptiles, and insects--in the order from 'worst to-aiiiyiii-to-ouch' on the pain scale: Timber rattlesnake (not a dry bite; almost lost my leg), humans, copperhead snake (not a dry bite from this one either), a "high content wolfdog" (my own companion animal had mistakenly bitten me when she tried to reach the dog that had attacked her. Oy, I was caught in the middle.), German Shepherd, Brown Recluse spiders (four separate times!), pissed-off chickens, wasps, bees, crabs, crawfish, fire ants, chiggers, one bedbug (at a high-dollar motel), fleas, and mosquitos. Luckily, I managed not to get gator-bit in my home state of Louisiana. (How in the world did I manage to escape that?)

Well. You can tell I didn't spend much time staying home and painting my fingernails and eating bonbons, lol.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  35. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Bears n' Bees...sounds like a good title for something. Not sure what, but it has a nice ring to it, lol.

Glad you won those fights.

36. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

Your former occupation is showing a little, lol.

Glad you're still here, Dale.

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  37. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    The funny thing is, after all the injuries and accidents I had in the Army. I'm pretty sure the worst beating I've ever had was that stupid Mute Swan. Dang thing almost killed me. Black and blue for 3 weeks. Got too close to it's nest while addling Canada goose eggs.

Dale

38. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Swans and geese are my eeeeevil nemesis. Been chased by them, but never been caught! Not sure how I managed that, though.

39. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    I routinely being attacked by a Bantam hen, apparently she is not happy I kept stealing her eggs :eek:
    When I was a kid I was attacked by swan, charged by water buffalo, nearly attacked by a cassowary. Furthermore most dogs also seem to hate me a lot, although I'm guessing it because I used to eat their kind.

40. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    What does dog taste like?

41. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    That reminded me to add 'pissed-off chickens' to my list.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  42. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    They taste awful and feel really hot inside (similar to water monitor meat).

43. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning all,

Just to make this list into something "scientific" ... I might be a little off-topic but hope not out of order;

The most dangerous creatures to humans are not the snakes and sharks.

After the most dangerous, the mosquito, the second most dangerous is the:

*** freshwater snail ! ***

I now know this and will never, ever, again enter a monsoon-created water hole !

In percentages, scorpions kill ~ 3,ooo % more than sharks, with sharks being the lowest of the recorded killers.

There is some fluid band between perception and reality. Still, I'm governed by learned behavior. Dorsal fins scare me and I love dogs.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  44. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Thank you Varuna. That sounds...baaad.

Pragmatist, I love dogs too, more than I do some people, and I hope I never have to resort to eating canine cuisine. But if I do, I hope I can be skillful enough to remove most of the "ick" factor with some creative cooking.

I know what you mean about those snails. I ranted about them months ago on a thread around here somewhere. Bad juju, for sure.

If I can find it again, I'll edit this post with a link.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  45. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    With all due respect I don't think that is a comparison that many of us would understand; at least I don't. When I think of water monitor I think of the lizard. Is that correct? I have never eaten lizard or dog. Let's hope it never comes to that. Is it safe to say it doesn't taste like chicken?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  46. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    My neighborhood was probably like a thousand neighborhoods in your area. EVERYBODY had a six foot cinder block wall around their property. I walked up along the side of the house, and the dog was sitting on the front porch in a really bad mood. As soon as he saw me he leapt off the porch, and I ran for the wall. Made the top in a single bound. Fortunately he lost interest pretty quickly. I was walking to Church. That is no way to start the day.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  47. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Preferred the monitor for dinner.

Dale

48. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Morgan, if you ever want to know what dog taste like try eating coyote. It's very similar. To me it was similar to a cross between goat and mutton with a hint of old beef. In Korea many years ago I ordered a beef dish (bagogie -not sure of the spelling) and mama san brought me out dog (kagogie - spelling) and I started eating. Knew it didn't taste right, but it was Korea. I was about half way done and mama san came out with the trash bucket and it had a paw and tail sticking out of it. I asked if mine was dog and she smiled and said yes. I finished my meal. I always ordered shrimp or chicken from then on. LOL!

Dale

49. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Yup it's a lizard. Both lizard and dog taste equally awful (at least for me). Although around here dog were more commonly eaten compare to lizard. It's just a culture thing and has nothing to do with their taste. Although anyone who took serious jungle survival course will need to eat literally anything that is edible. Suffice to say that dog, lizard, snake, insect, larva. are pretty tame foods compare to others source of meat (which is best not to be told)

Asian water monitor (Varanus salvator)

920fa999a7f3c71d7f4facfe5530c4e8.jpeg

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  50. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Aaach that mama-san do sound like she care for your virility if she serve you doggo meat :D

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.