Heliciculture

Discussion in 'Animal Husbandry' started by Xilkozuf, Jul 19, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Heliciculture is a big word to simply say "snail farming". There are a few people that raise snails, since many people in some areas of the world eat them, and it seems like recently they also started consuming their flesh. Their slime could also be used for cosmetic, but that doesn't interest us here.
    I'm told that you could also get some serious earning with a snail farm.
    But remember that it's not easy, and expecially at the beginning even if the first snails will lay a lot of eggs, very few of the newborns will survive. It can also be pretty expensive, depending on how big you want it to be.

Have you ever heard of it, or tried it?

2. streettallest

streettallest New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    This is an aspect of animal husbandry that am interested in. But I have heard a lot of 'too good to be true' information about its profitability based on their prolific nature. I will be glad to learn from a practising and an experienced snail farmer here.

3. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    It's not that, it's jsut that it's really, REALLY, expensive to start an activity like this, and as always spending too much is a risk to consider. But if you manage to actually make a successful snail farm, you could get pretty good earning. I haven't tried myself, but I know a guy who did it for a few years - on a small scale.

4. streettallest

streettallest New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    I can't really say much though because because i have not seen anyone that is really successful in snail farming. They may be around and I pray to meet one soon.

Can you bring the guy you are talking about to this thread; to educate us?

5. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Not really, since it's been a long time since I haven't seen or heard from him, and he was already quite old at the time. I might try to get in contact with him again, but I can't promise anything and I don't want to bother him just for some questions about snails...
    What would like to know more about it? Maybe I can answer myself anyway, without bothering him.

6. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    I never tried it nor really would consider devoting the time and money into it. That said, if it was a common part of one's diet, why not. As I understand it, escargot is pretty high in protein.