New Member Hello From ...

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by Grog_of_California, Feb 8, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Grog_of_California

Grog_of_California Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    Hi all. I've been in California for 48 years. I'm feeling it's time to get out of Dodge, while I still can. For the last 30 years I've been a computer systems engineer and spent many sleepless years supporting something that I now find myself at philosophical odds over. I'm pretty sure it's just a natural entropy, that is, the tendency for things to go to shit over time. Maybe it's just that my eyesight has improved with age. I've been a musician, a rescue diver, an instrument builder and even a minister ( don't ask ). My wife died 15 years ago and I raised our son by myself and got him off to college 4 years ago. Given a set of circumstances, I'm confident that I would have an even chance of survival, and I think that's all we can ever really hope for, to be perfectly realistic. If I could find a place on this Earth, devoid of governments, politics, corruption and cell phone towers, I'd be on a boat tomorrow, but now I realize that there is no such place that would have me. I'm looking for a plot of land with a house that I can work over my coming retirement. I've considered Missouri, Nevada, Utah, South Dakota, Tennesse and Kentucky. I am realizing that the thing that is causing me to delay, is the prospect of doing it all alone. Maybe I will have to do just that, or face the tyranny of no choice. I'm curious if any of this rattles around in others heads.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    welcome to the forum.
    being a loner, being on my own has never bothered me, its been my natural state for most of my life.
    good luck with your search.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Grog,

Welcome to the Forum.

You've already demonstrated that you're a Prepper/survivalist. Getting your son established and off to college is the summary. All else is nominal.

Chances are gambles; risks are manageable.

Yes, the rattling occurs and governs much of "Prepperdom". It's about thinking and acting on the refined thoughts.

Whether you relocate alone or with someone you meet at a Prepper group, it will not be a first time event in the historical records.

There are active Forum Members who live in some of the above-mentioned states. Ask some specific questions and I'm sure the commentary will be available.

Again: Welcome !

Transmitting from the Chesapeake Bay area of Virginia

4. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the forum. Used to live in Riverside, CA. Glad my parents and I moved out in '94. As far as moving to the mid-west, there is a nice little fault line there and if that goes it will be chaos. Last it went the Mississippi river flowed backwards. I now live in Colorado and would like to move to a nice town somewhere on the west side of Florida or Texas. With Florida you have hurricanes, but you can build a house to withstand that. In Texas you have floods and tornadoes same as here. But I got it all figured out without writing an essay.

5. Grog_of_California

158/173

Blog Posts:
    Thanks lonewolf, I know. It's how we enter the world and how we leave it. I guess I'd enjoy the occaisional game of poker or blackjack, as it is too easy to cheat while playing solitare. Just an observation.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Grog_of_California

158/173

Blog Posts:
    Thank you Pragmatist, for the welcome, and for pointing out the difference between chance and risk. Most times when I have the thought "I got this", I never stop to consider that I could be completely and utterly wrong. There, the controversial subject of "magical thinking" as a tool for survival. Dunno. I think you get one shot, and then deal with the blowback. In my line of work, it would appear that sometimes, managing risks... is all illusion.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Grog_of_California

158/173

Blog Posts:
    I used to live near Riverside... Anaheim/Fullerton. Kinda miss Riverside as it was. I also lived in Florida... Gainesville. Miss that too, as it was. If I could do it all over again... well, I'd make different mistakes.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Grog.....Welcome to this forum.

I made my choice just over 50 years ago at age 23 and was lucky to have selected Alaska. If I had it to do all over again I would still choose Alaska. But it is not for everyone.

9. Justin Baker

Justin Baker Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    Hello from the PNW. The hunt to find the perfect space is always an adventure, and not always the good kind!

10. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Hello and welcome from Alaska!

11. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Warm Welcome from the Arizona valley folks. USA.

The members can offer great insights but a bit more info would be required. I.E. Preferred weather? Property size? All sorts of info available but need more data.

Grog_of_California likes this.
  12. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome from Eastern Missouri. Good to have you with us. If you are looking for a new state ours is a pretty good one. Climate is pretty temperate. We have all four seasons, but not as severe as others. Plenty of good land at reasonable prices. Good soil to farm if you like. Plenty of water. Good people.

Taxes are moderate, and considerably less than what you are used to. Politics lean toward the right once you get out of the big cities. I have lived here for 45 years, and never been disappointed I moved here.

P.S. The New Madrid fault is only a risk if you live along the river in Eastern and Southern Missouri. I have been through a half a dozen earthquakes, but none more than 5 on the Richter Scale.

13. Grog_of_California

158/173

Blog Posts:
    Thanks TMT.... As far as weather, I prefer warm tropical, but that isn't gonna happen year round. I'm ok with cold, but would prefer less snow. Grew up with snow, don't miss it. I ride motorcycles whenever possible, so that's definitely a driving factor.
    For property size, if I can find something backed up to a mountain, at least 5 acres, that would be ideal. A man has to have a target range in his yard... fun counts. I probably wouldn't need to farm that land, as I grow by hydro and that surprisingly,
    has been sufficient... as long as some form of hunting is possible. Of course, now, hunting is not a practical option, but I look forward to that day. I've done some radical experimentation with diet, and know what my bare minimum is. I've been through Arizona in the dead of summer by motorcycle. Toasty, but livable. Over the years spent weeks in December camped at high elevations in Death Valley. Colder than what you'd expect, but again, if prepared, it's wonderful. So I guess anything other than 'big snow'.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Grog_of_California

158/173

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the welcome, Morgan. Eastern Missouri is what I've been considering the most. Like the weather, the politics ( if you can like politics ) and the price is right in many cases. So far, it's at the top of my list. I've missed a few prime props because of my procrastination, but I'm sure there are plenty more.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. kilo4okc

kilo4okc Expert Member
      176/230

Blog Posts:
    Welcome from Oklahoma. Sounds like you would like SE Oklahoma, check it out.

16. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    kilo4okc,

A very 73 to you and your house,

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    Hey, Grog, welcome! I lived in Arizona for 40 years, then two years ago we moved to southern Idaho, the one state that every American has heard of and no one knows where it is. Taxes are low, the government is pretty laissez-faire, the weather's fine, there aren't many people, about half of the state's population are incipient preppers, the hunting and fishing are great and -- as long as you lose your California license plate as soon as you get here -- you will be greeted with open arms.

18. Grog_of_California

158/173

Blog Posts:
    It is one of my main goals, to lose my California plates. It sounds like Idaho is a good place to explore. I'll put it on the list.
    Thanks.

TMT Tactical likes this.