New Member Hello, I Am Here To Learn Survival Strategies!

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by Maria_C, Jun 29, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Maria_C

Maria_C New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Hi, I first saw a link to this forum on facebook and took time to register today. I am here to learn from you all, though I haven't fall in a dire situation that requires some survival strategies, I figured the knowledge would be useful.

One of the few scary situations I caught myself thinking about is quicksand. I have been reading a lot about how to survive. I also searched this forum and haven't saw any testimony, maybe I should create a thread asking people to share.

Sonofliberty and Keith H. like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good day Maria & welcome to this forum. Do you have many quicksand areas where you live?
    Keith.

3. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the forums, looking forward to enjoying your company. I myself have been interested in quicksand as well, and I've found a lot of information online. Maybe sometime in the future I'll write an article on quicksand and post it on here :)

4. reynolds

reynolds New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    I've seen or read that you should throw yourself prone, and do slow swimming strokes from this vid, you;'d better do so almost instantly when you feel your feet getting 'sticky"

5. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Good post Reynolds, a useful tip is that when you are working or traveling in situations where you might encounter quick sand or sinking sand, travel as part of a group.
    There are a couple of places where I've encountered sinking sand, both on river estuaries. Using a probe to test the ground in front of you has a limited benefit as the sand feels reasonably firm at first. If the going gets soft don't be ashamed to back up and try a different route.

6. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    doesn't have to be sand , you can also sink under mud . sunk in mud once until one of my feet rested on a root at about waist deep . that was a fast decent no telling how far I would have gone if I hadn't hit the root .

7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Greetings!! The best tool for survival is knowledge. Quicksand for example is easy, you flop on your belly and slow motion swim out of it. You can't stand in it any more than you can stand on water. Mud is actually harder to get out of than quicksand. It will hold onto you like glue. The La Brea Tars pits in LA are examples of what thick sticky stuff can do to you. It is full of the bones of Mammoths and the saber-tooth cats that came to get them when they got stuck there. Real quicksand is what you get when you have a spring under loose sand. It is more like water than mud.