New Member Hi From The Gold Coast, Australia

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by Bear Abraham Mounsey, Dec 11, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Bear Abraham Mounsey

Bear Abraham Mounsey New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Hello all,

Bear here from Gold Coast Australia. I work as a Registered Nurse in a neurosurgery/trauma unit in a major regional government hospital. I have been keenly interested in gathering information and knowledge about SHTF survival and being prepared for social unrest/ natural disaster etc and having options to provide and protect my wife and five kids.

I have recently attended an introductory course in archery and have purchased a compound bow with the intention of joining an accredited archery club to develop proficency in the use and maintenance of this tool.
    I have started gathering items to kit out my EDC and am researching ideas for useful BOB inclusions and survival tools etc.
    My hope is that I can gather useful information from the members and blogs/forums etc and hopefully make some useful contribution to the group in time once I find my feet.

Having a large family in a major urban centre is a challenge in a SHTF event and it is one that I hope to manage and prepare for, after all, family is everything. Growing up in far north Queensland and regularly preparing for cyclones, floods and droughts as well as living in environments where everything wants to kill you (hey it's Australia, even the things that look cute and cuddly want to eat you!) has givenme a mindset that is akin to "prepping" as is the buzz word these days so I am looking forward to seeing what I can learn here.

Anyway, greetings and good luck!

Regards

Bear

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    Greetings from B.C. Canada
    Your career will definitely give you some valuable skills for when SHTF

Bear Abraham Mounsey likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good day to you Bear, welcome to this forum. There is an Australian Board here: https://mysurvivalforum.com/forums/australia.91/

My advice on the compound bow is the swap it for a traditional bow. Compounds in my opinion are not well suited to survival, they are not sustainable. Parts break & need replacing, no ordinary cordage can be used for the string. Arrows too I hear are special so no making your own. Anyway mate, your choice.
    Keith.
    NSW Australia.

Bear Abraham Mounsey likes this.
  4. Bear Abraham Mounsey

Bear Abraham Mounsey New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the welcome and the advice on the bow Keith.

Cheers

Bear

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    A good bow to find is a bear recurve made in the 60s easy to use very strong my 40lb draw with good carbon arrows with a basic broadhead has killed 17 deer and 2 elk i use basic fred bear gear for broadheads and acesseries that were made for my bow