Homemade Breakfast Sausage

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by DirtDiva, Apr 5, 2022.

0/5, 0 votes

1. DirtDiva

DirtDiva Master Survivalist
      285/345

Blog Posts:
    Last week I ran across a sale on Pork Butt for $1.69 a pound at the local small grocery store in our community. This grocery store is privately owned and buys from the local farmers and employs a full time butcher. So I bought 20 pounds and brought home because anytime I run across meat for UNDER $2.00 a pound I pay attention. Part of these pork roasts my husband deboned and ground up to make homemade breakfast sausage patties. A 1 pound roll of breakfast sausage usually runs about $3.50 a pound but I can grind my own at that price for $1.69 a pound and simply add my own seasonings. Sounds like a deal to me.

100_7448.JPG

One of the best things my husband and I ever did 35 years ago was invest in a small electric meat grinder, electric meat slicer, a manual grinder, manual sausage stuffer and manual meat mixing bin. This little grinder has ground a many a pound of pork, beef, venison and turkey through the years. For those of you just starting out think about this because the investmet for us has been worth it.

100_7445.JPG

Recipe for Breakfast Sausage

2 pounds ground pork
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp dried marjoram
    1 TBS brown sugar
    1/2 tsp thyme
    2 tsp sage

To shape I used a jar lid and ring. Grease the inside good and add meat to top. When you push on the lid the meat comes out in a perfect sausage size.

So for 4 pounds of meat we made 42 sausage patties.

100_7451.JPG
    Or 21 packs of sausage patties with 2 to the pack. Individual packs for a two person household. Vacuum sealed to prevent freezer burn.

[​IMG]

And just the right size to fit on a biscuit along with a fried egg fresh from the chicken yard.

COST per each patty $0.16

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. TMT Tactical
      Outstanding!!! Very good info and presentation.

TMT Tactical, Apr 5, 2022
      DirtDiva likes this.